Royal won't take my money for five staterooms on Spring Break!!!

Unfortunately folks in call center always adhere to strict interpretation of rules regardless of how illogical they are. They only quote what's on their screen. Supervisors no better.

Fortunately shipboard staff are practical and accommodating. Within reason they just want to keep passengers happy.

I can definitely understand why children can not be booked alone in a cabin. It's hard to imagine children 12 and under in a stateroom that does not connect to their parents. Very risky. I wonder what Disneys policy is regarding children in non connecting staterooms.

From https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

"MINORS

Minors under the age of 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The parent or guardian of any minor not traveling with a parent or guardian must appoint an adult to have custody and control over the minor and to contract on their behalf in connection with the Disney Cruise Line vacation. An Authorization For Minor To Travel Without a Parent or Legal Guardian Form can be obtained by visiting disneycruise.com and selecting “My Disney Cruise” or is sent when a document package is mailed. The form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian prior to embarkation at the Disney Cruise Line Terminal. After 9:00 PM, adult entertainment districts are restricted to Guests 18 years and older."

From https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

"MINORS

Minors under the age of 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The parent or guardian of any minor not traveling with a parent or guardian must appoint an adult to have custody and control over the minor and to contract on their behalf in connection with the Disney Cruise Line vacation. An Authorization For Minor To Travel Without a Parent or Legal Guardian Form can be obtained by visiting disneycruise.com and selecting “My Disney Cruise” or is sent when a document package is mailed. The form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian prior to embarkation at the Disney Cruise Line Terminal. After 9:00 PM, adult entertainment districts are restricted to Guests 18 years and older."

Not exactly on point!! These minors are traveling with a parent. But I looked at the Disney www site and it doesn't really say if minors can be in cabins by themselves even traveling with a parent.

I'll just say this again...regardless of what you've been told over the phone...Guest services...once onboard... can easily make the cabin occupancy changes for you and "issue new SeaPass cards"...If they can do it on Harmony (for us) even with the new chip cards...they can certainly do this for you onboard.

Calm down and book your cabins before you loose the option of having them all side by side.

Ashland's recommendation is the way to do it. If you do not act fast, you will not get three staterooms side by side.

Need advice. Not happy with Royal at the moment. Keep in mind we have done this exact same thing on the Independence, Allure, Celebrity Silhouette, and Celebrity Reflection in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Not to mention on various other vessels not owned by RCI throughout the years. Our stateroom layout - balcony cabins- is as follows for 2018 spring break, 9 day cruise on the Navigator:

6238 Parents A

6240 Parents B

6242 (3) Male minor Children one from each set of parents A,B,C (all about 14 years old)

6244 (3) Female minor Children one from each set of parents A,B,C (all about 12 years old)

6246 Parents C

They will not let us do this, but will allow us to do it if Male child B and Female child B are in 6242 next to parents B and Male child C and Female child C are in 6246 next to Parents C. For some reason, they don't care about the 3rd minor passengers in each triple, male and female child A... as they are not next to their parents at all nor even can be.... whatever. The problem is that we end up with 2 boys and a girl in 6242 and 2 girls and a boy in 6246. Even though the two kids could obviously just switch on the boat, the keys will be messed up along with other minor things like luggage tags, on board charges, splitting of obc, etc.

For nearly 20 grand I don't feel I should have to 'skirt' their new policy and book the rooms like this and then secretly switch once on board. I just can't stomach feeling like I'm breaking some rule with the kids switching around rooms after shelling out nearly 20 grand.

Any thoughts on how to escalate to Royal this policy on unrelated minors is missing the mark?

Will they even consider an exception for us?

I am not even sure what problem this policy is intending to solve. My independent agent and I have worked each with a different RCI agent and both agents escalated to their supervisors and 'resolution' department. The guy I spoke with said, this is crazy, and not a problem at all, no worries. Then, after being on hold for a number of minutes came back after speaking with his supervisor and said all good, no problems this is fine. Then he said a few minutes later he wanted to just verify with resolutions that this was all good and provide feedback about our first encounter and ensure that the policy wasn't misunderstood by others in the future. After this is when he came back and said the same thing my independent agent was told and could not book our staterooms this way. Evidently he and his supervisor misunderstood the policy, not the other way around. Lastly, we were told that they would never move the kids around... not after booking nor once on board. I was hoping to just get it booked, and then make changes later... he was very clear that I would be unsuccessful trying to get those changes done.

Sorry it seems to me you've already put more effort in to getting shoreside personnel to "skirt the rules" then it would take to get a couple of extra keys. Luggage tags are a no brainer nobody's name is on them just swap tags after they are printed.

Seems like you are having a slight mental block: the rules changed since the last time and you don't like that. You can skirt them on board quite easily, or you might even be successful in your quest to get someone shore side to make an exception for you. But it will not change the rule, so I respectfully suggest you take the path of least resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can definitely understand why children can not be booked alone in a cabin. It's hard to imagine children 12 and under in a stateroom that does not connect to their parents. Very risky. I wonder what Disneys policy is regarding children in non connecting staterooms.

DW and I sail in a Balcony - period. We've been doing this since long before are kids were 12. There are a very few balcony cabins at either end of the upper decks that connect to insides on Voyager and Freedoom class ships and we were lucky enough to snag a pair the first time we got our kids their own room. But we have not had the opportunity to do so on subsequent family cruises.

Can you honestly tell me it's "less risky" to have young kids booked in their own connecting balcony room vs the inside across the hall????

Seriously, get over it.

It's like you're picking fights over semantics with the phone reps at this point. GIve those poor reps a break, they could never afford to spend $20K on a cruise like you're bragging about.

Get off the phones and go pour yourself a glass of wine, or two. Sounds like you need a whole bottle! haha JK ;)

Agreed!! OP you just need to get over it. You are being over dramatic. The more you go on the more you make yourself sound like a spoiled entitled brat.

I hate having to support RC but ...

I'm also not a fan of "joining " CC just to bitch about such a grave injustice . :rolleyes:

I've done the switching of cabins shuffle . No big deal .

I think you are right. It's probably a condition of their insurance policy and/or risk management model. When I asked if we could just occupy the rooms any way we want, they said 'we can't advise you to do that'. They didn't say, 'we advise you to not do that'. Small difference, but it seemed to me that was their way of saying, 'I can't tell you to just switch rooms, but... just switch rooms!' Either way, still chaps my rear that we have to play these Mickey Mouse games when spending hard earned money on a vacation and probably legally open ourselves up to some sort of penalty or fine or something... who knows.

Has it occurred to you that you don't "have to play these Mickey Mouse games", just don't sail on Royal. Try another cruise line or all inclusive. Their ship their rules. I'm not sure why you think the amount you are spending is relevant?

Has it occurred to you that you don't "have to play these Mickey Mouse games", just don't sail on Royal. Try another cruise line or all inclusive. Their ship their rules. I'm not sure why you think the amount you are spending is relevant?

And it pretty clear OP is not the only one doing the spending (disputes the title of his post).

OP, just in case you haven't been paying attention, since you are new to these boards and all, you have to pay for room service now (except for coffee and bread), you can't smoke on your balcony, skeet shoot, or hit golf balls off the stern!

And it pretty clear OP is not the only one doing the spending (disputes the title of his post).

OP, just in case you haven't been paying attention, since you are new to these boards and all, you have to pay for room service now (except for coffee and bread), you can't smoke on your balcony, skeet shoot, or hit golf balls off the stern!

Next thing you know there will be no flaming Baked Alaska on the formal nights ! :D

Next thing you know there will be no flaming Baked Alaska on the formal nights ! :D

Geeze, we gave RCI over $60K worth of business with our family cruise. Don't tell me that they're going to start taking away the pepper grinders and force us to bring our own! ;p We spent so much money, they need to bend the rules for me!

Wow! I promise you, it's a LOT less stressful to just change it when you get onboard. How do you expect to enjoy your vacation when you're already this worked up about room occupants?

If I'm wasting hours on the phone trying to get a vacation to work the way I want, it's not the vacation for me.

I assume the problem doesn't exist with UK departures as we are going with our 20 year old daughter and her 20 year old boyfriend on IOTS next month and they are occupying a cabin on a different deck from us!

It's about being under 18...not under 21..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the problem is that the children A are not in rooms adjacent to parents A. So, have parents B book themselves and and the 3 boys, parent C book themselves and 3 girls, and parent A reimburse B&C for the fares of their children. Once onboard go to GS to have the onboard charges switched to the appropriate credit cards.

Or book parents A across the hall from the kids' rooms. That should do it.

It's about being under 18...not under 21..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I understand. The 21 year old rule just applies to cruises from North America (per MikeBTN's post above).

The 21 age rule still applies to booking Royal however - it's why we're going on the cruise next month as my daughter couldn't go without someone 21 or over!

Ah, I understand. The 21 year old rule just applies to cruises from North America (per MikeBTN's post above).

The 21 age rule still applies to booking Royal however - it's why we're going on the cruise next month as my daughter couldn't go without someone 21 or over!

I thought the 21 requirement had to do only with drinking (i.e., drinking age is 18 sailing out of Europe), not booking age. Did they allow you to book two people under 21 in a cabin on a different deck?

Makes me sad that I can't shoot skeet. Skeet>Flow Rider. I bet it was tough shooting from a ship some days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Geeze, we gave RCI over $60K worth of business with our family cruise. Don't tell me that they're going to start taking away the pepper grinders and force us to bring our own! ;p We spent so much money, they need to bend the rules for me!

Hey, I saw the infamous peeper grinder in Giovanni's on the Navigator.

OP, you have a very complicated problem that requires more expertise than what you will get by posting on a free BB. For 20 grand I will solve this issue for you. Just post a reply and we can make the arrangements. And because you are now a CC member, I will throw in a pepper grinder as my gift to you. :D

A question - we currently have two rooms booked. 1 adult and 1 teen (14 and 16) in each room. We want to add another room with 2 teens (14 and 15). . Am I not able to do this? I don't have any more adults to book in a room with them. My only other alternative is to not take them with us.