Unusual & intrusive questions by AA agent at Barelona Airport

nelblu

This happened on Sept. 10 when we checked in for our 1:05 pm flight on American to Philadelphia. The agent was pleasant and when she saw the RCL luggage tag asked us about the trip. We saw nothing in the question as our impression was that she was being friendly. The subsequent questions were unusual.

Q: How was your trip--no problem.

Q: Which countries we visited--no problem.

Problematic questions.

Q: Turned to my wife and asked her what was the cabin #, as though my wife was hiding something.

Q: How did we book our cruise.

Q: When I answered that I booked it on line, she proceeded to ask me the web-site address. Rather than prolong the discussion I told her that it was via RCL at RCCL.com.

I was tempted to tell her that it was none of her business, but since we were close to the weight limit, I played along.

As we completed our check-in, we wondered if we were selected for this process as we could not check-in on line on Brilliance and instead were advised to check-in at airport.

At our gate, there was an irate member of the UC Irvine, California water polo team that was incensed by some inane questions posed by a AA agent to her.

Wonder if this is new as part of the overall security package.

We've been thru Barcelona Airport and never experienced this process.

Sounds like the questions were asked for security purposes. Just answer them and move on.

I don't get why people get so upset over questions. Who cares if she asks you questions like this. They aren't intrusive. They are to verify your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say it's pretty standard. I have gotten the same when travelling back from Europe in the past, and the date (just before 9/11) is probably driving some additional attention. What's happening: they are looking for uncertainty, unease, panic, etc. when you are answering these questions. If they see this kind of behaviour, they would probably route you for additional screening.

True story: I flew out of Heathrow the morning after an IRA bombing years ago. At the check-in, I was asked if I had any electronics in my suitcase. I told them no - I had all of my computer stuff in my carry on. After x-raying my bag, I was surrounded by very polite and very large men. They proceeded to drill me on where I had been, where I had stayed (including the room number)... even what time I had checked out of the hotel that morning! it turns out that I had a package of AA batteries in my suitcase - they were seen on Xray, and that triggered the additional screening.

--bruce T.

Sounds like the questions were asked for security purposes. Just answer them and move on.

I don't get why people get so upset over questions. Who cares if she asks you questions like this. They aren't intrusive. They are to verify your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surprising with your blaze attitude. Verify what? Unless AA's computers are tied in with RCL's how in hell was she supposed to verify, cabin # and booking medium. I would not accept that unless it was specified that it was past of her job. As mentioned, if it wasn't for the bag weight, I would have challenged her and expect whatever consequences.

interesting. I think it's sort of a good idea that they ask leading questions. I have never been through that either. I always get asked the same questions. Business or personal? Sometimes they ask what countries I visited.

I find those questions odd too. Interesting...thanks for sharing!

Edited to add: now that I think about it, it's usually the customers people that ask those questions LOL!

I thought the questions were going to be way more intrusive...I would have been puzzled, but I would have answered them. Maybe they can't always verify everything but they are probably looking for other things like inability to answer, nervousness, etc. Don't think they were trying to annoy you. Or maybe she just wanted to go on a cruise and was curious.

I would say it's pretty standard. I have gotten the same when travelling back from Europe in the past, and the date (just before 9/11) is probably driving some additional attention. What's happening: they are looking for uncertainty, unease, panic, etc. when you are answering these questions. If they see this kind of behaviour, they would probably route you for additional screening.

True story: I flew out of Heathrow the morning after an IRA bombing years ago. At the check-in, I was asked if I had any electronics in my suitcase. I told them no - I had all of my computer stuff in my carry on. After x-raying my bag, I was surrounded by very polite and very large men. They proceeded to drill me on where I had been, where I had

stayed (including the room number)... even what time I had

checked out of the hotel that morning! it turns out that I had a package of AA batteries in my suitcase - they were seen on Xray, and that triggered the additional screening.

--bruce T.

I have been pre-selected for add'l screening here in the US, but by security and not an airline agent. Last time it happened was in Las Vegas as we had to change flights because of a snowstorm in the East.

Heck, I used to laugh at my wife & mother who twice on cruised from San Juan were selected for add'l security.. They could not understand why them and not me. Ps. My mom was 85 the last time this happened.LOL

Surprising with your blaze attitude. Verify what? Unless AA's computers are tied in with RCL's how in hell was she supposed to verify, cabin # and booking medium. I would not accept that unless it was specified that it was past of her job. As mentioned, if it wasn't for the bag weight, I would have challenged her and expect whatever consequences.

I can see them asking some of those type of questions if you were flying in to BCN and going thru immigration. We've been asked where we were going, why, when, etc. They were looking to see my reactions to their questions. Probably the best type of screening than those horrible pat downs.

It's how you respond and your body language they're looking for. Not the specifics of what you say. When a person is doing something wrong, that they know is wrong, and they've practiced their story in their head a million times ... then gets asked questions they didn't prepare for at all .... a lot of times they panic, and it's painfully obvious.

Getting angry/flippant/rude/nasty/vulgar/whatever ... that's just a great way to earn yourself extra screening and aggravation. And for what? To prove a point? Believe me, you won't find many sympathetic ears to a plight you bring onto yourself.

This is the new security screening process being used after the recent increase in terrorism incidents in Europe. I was checking in w/ United in Brussels to fly to the US and they asked me where I lived, what type of neighborhood it was, were their trees and a couple of other very specific questions. A month later I flew out of Brussels again and they asked very specific questions about my job.

This is the new security screening process being used after the recent increase in terrorism incidents in Europe. I was checking in w/ United in Brussels to fly to the US and they asked me where I lived, what type of neighborhood it was, were their trees and a couple of other very specific questions. A month later I flew out of Brussels again and they asked very specific questions about my job.

The questioning was unusual as compared to the lack of analysis when presented passport at the border security/custom area. Passport was simply rubber stamped.

If you have nothing to hide it is always best to answer pleasantly and the truth.

We have had a lot worse from Homeland security at Orlando,Sanford and San Juan as we are from the UK.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

4 years ago, after a 2 weeks cruise, at Barcelona airport, I was asked by the airline agent ( prior to the actual check in ) detailed questions about my incoming flight. When I could not recall instantly (senior moment or just a mental lapse) the connecting flight airport, I was asked several more questions. She would not even allow me to retrieve the print copy of the incoming flight itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pretty standard in my personal experience with any stateside or international travel and I've flown through BCN multiple times. We have a running family joke, my hubby must have a suspicious face aka: RBF :D because he is always selected for special/detailed screening and he has US top security clearance for serving in The Navy as a Guantanamo Bay Brig Officer. We just giggle at the irony, tease him and continue on our way.

Safe Travels, Patty

I don't see a problem with security questions. Some questions are asked not to get particular information, but to see a reaction.

We are usually asked tons of psychological questions on all flights from Europe to US. The most "notorious" security is in Schiphole, Amsterdam.

The questioning was unusual as compared to the lack of analysis when presented passport at the border security/custom area. Passport was simply rubber stamped.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told the questions are a US gov't requirement for all passengers flying to the US (prerequisite to getting your security sticker). This is why you aren't seeing the custom agents asking the Qs.

Maybe A.A. was more interested in protecting their multi million dollar airplane than the person checking your passport was.

Pretty standard in my personal experience with any stateside or international travel and I've flown through BCN multiple times. We have a running family joke, my hubby must have a suspicious face aka: RBF :D because he is always selected for special/detailed screening and he has US top security clearance for serving in The Navy as a Guantanamo Bay Brig Officer. We just giggle at the irony, tease him and continue on our way.

Safe Travels, Patty

He could actually be selected for additional screening because of his security clearance. My family members with security clearances routinely get stopped for additional screening.

He could actually be selected for additional screening because of his security clearance. My family members with security clearances routinely get stopped for additional screening.

Yes, that is true. I was just trying to make light of this thread by sharing a little factoid.

Just because these questions are standard does not mean that they are appropriate or welcome. We've given away a great deal of control to people who are not trained law enforcement, and we are no safer than we ever were.

The rudest employees I have ever encountered are those who work in airports. They treat paying passengers like garbage because they can, and we put up with it because they have the power to deny boarding.

I don't fly often. It's not worth the aggravation. I love Europe, and have seen some amazing places on cruises, but I am treated far better on my frequent train trips than I ever was in an airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We travel back and forth to France (3-4 times each year) on the Newhaven-Dieppe Ferry (20% Discount for being over 60!). The security questions have become more searching and more of them over the last 3-4 years. When it gets to the 'Purpose of your visit?' question, I reply 'Property renovations - would you like to see the photographs?' - I'm invariably just waved through! I do have the photos with me - largely as proof that the chisels, bladed knives, hammers etc are being used for construction rather than as weapons for serious assault ... When the Security Staff decide to do a more in-depth check and inspect the toolboxes etc, I open the hatchback and display the chaos of tools and materials crammed into every free space - back to being waved through! Necessary checks but sad that this is the modern world with humankind at its developmental peak ... We catch the ferry back to Scotland on 22nd September then have just under 5 weeks to wait for our 46 nights cruise to Cuba & the Caribbean. And, as of 2 hours ago, 3 weeks after we return from that, it's Santiago to Buenos Aires 20 night cruise - that will be the point at which the Security staff become really confused - I shall arrive as a passenger but after 68 nights of cruise meals, I shall leave as freight, cunningly disguised as a barrel ...

Once going through customs I was asked some very specific details about where I lived, down to the street address. Come to find out, the customs agent lived about 7 houses away in the same neighborhood. He was on a temporary assignment at the airport I was flying into (which was several states away from where I live). We then went on the chat for several more minutes. Small world...