Bar snacks and nibbles

yuvraj

I would NEVER eat a bar snack/nibbles unless it is in a sealed bag,

I can't bear to think of people who have been to the toilet and not washed their hands then come to the bar and stick their hands in the dish/bowl or whatever they are served in.

We used to do bar snacks in the pub where I used to work and it was stopped for that very reason according to Health and Hygene

I remember a time when you would see nibbles placed in bars late afternoon. Things like pretzels etc. Even things like tortilla chips.

Don't see that any more but is it because they no longer do them. My memory may be playing tricks but I am sure I have seen them occasionally but only on certain tables. So is it that you have to ask for them?

Plus to share with you a minor annoyance ... I wish they sold packets of peanuts, cashews etc. so that I don't need to take them from home.

I was on Pride of America earlier this year. They had snacks in little personal size carafes at the John Adams Bar. All you had to do was ask for them. I'm not sure about the other ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know they toss anything out you dont eat right ?? They don reserve it or even reuse the container ..its treated like a glass

You are correct. Yes, it was a glass container. You had to pour the contents out to get the snacks out of the bottle.

I would NEVER eat a bar snack/nibbles unless it is in a sealed bag,

I can't bear to think of people who have been to the toilet and not washed their hands then come to the bar and stick their hands in the dish/bowl or whatever they are served in.

We used to do bar snacks in the pub where I used to work and it was stopped for that very reason according to Health and Hygene

Totally agree, I've seen people reach into those little dishes and would never touch the stuff.

I am in the U.S. and know the term....

Nibble, like something to nibble on, a snack. You've never heard this? Maybe a regional thing.

We don't use that kind of word down here in Texas.

It's a little too wimpy.

I thought is was a Euro word.

But sound like a term that a baby would say.....

• 2 years later...

Empress sometimes offers a small carafe with nuts at the Schooner Bar.  I don't eat from shared containers at bars anywhere for all the reasons mentioned in this thread but they are there.

They aren't sitting there all the day, they offer them with a drink but not knowing the history of the carafe I still avoid them.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:06 AM, voyager70 said:

Totally agree, I've seen people reach into those little dishes and would never touch the stuff.

On NCL they have these little bottles that look almost like a tiny wine craft they put the bar snacks in that can't be reached into.  You have to pick it up and dump a little bit into your hand. 

I love those because I have a huge don't touch my food phobia thing, to the point I make my family get their own little bowls of chips, popcorn etc and won't even share a bowl of nuts with my husband. (Which is stupid, I know, I mean I kiss him and so why does the idea that some tiny bit of his spit might touch my chip eeck me out so bad?  I don't know!)   I just can't stand the fact that people put their hands to their mouth and then reach in a common bowl of food.  Even if I have just watched them wash their hands. Can't do it! 

Adding that I could never walk up to a bar and eat what was there. 

I have to see the bartender take a clean craft and watch him fill it up and set it in front of me.  Which was my experience on NCL.  The bartenders would do this for each guest when they sat down. 

On 9/21/2017 at 7:22 AM, overone45 said:

I was on Pride of America earlier this year. They had snacks in little personal size carafes at the John Adams Bar. All you had to do was ask for them. I'm not sure about the other ships.

NCL also gives out individual trail mix at their bars.  For the World Series they had popcorn and wings for free while watching the game.  I imagine those perks won’t last much longer.  But it was nice