Soda and More Package Heads Up

ceilidh1

Well, if you don't make a complaint onboard, you will be left only with trying to deal with Princess after the cruise--not very satisfying.

Since the kids like shakes so much, I suggest that you have them order mocktails (included with the soda and more card). Both the non-alcoholic chocolate banana and mud slide are very similar to chocolate milk shakes. The virgin daiquiris are very similar to fruit milk shakes. And they might find some other mocktails they like as well.

My kids love the virgin daiquiris because they think they are the best fruit slushies ever, plus they get to ask for whatever fruits they want in them

As a person who has 2 cruises coming up with the AIBP from sip and sail promotions I agree and don't like the move from 40% off any bottle of wine under $100 to 25% off of an bottle. But all cruise lines make sure in their contracts that they state something to the effect of "Terms and Conditions are subject to change". That covers them and you are not going to be a able to make a case

As a person who has 2 cruises coming up with the AIBP from sip and sail promotions I agree and don't like the move from 40% off any bottle of wine under $100 to 25% off of an bottle. But all cruise lines make sure in their contracts that they state something to the effect of "Terms and Conditions are subject to change". That covers them and you are not going to be a able to make a case

I appreciate this, and don't expect anything in terms of compensation, etc. It's not the fact that they changed the policy - sure they are entitled to do so whenever they want. For me, the bigger issue is not communicating the change and just sliding in new wording so that no one (who has already purchased) is aware of it. The bigger issue still is the lack of consistency implementing the change - I was on a different ship a WEEK earlier with the same package and there was no issue getting shakes.

On a side note, should my kids decide they DO like mocktails, are they able to get served at a bar or would I need to go and order their drinks? Having never sent a child to the bar, I'm not sure of the policy....

I would take it up with them BEFORE you get home. Start complaining early and you may get the shakes included. Wait till you're home and the most you'd get is a paltry refund or a "gee, we're sorry that happened".

I totally agree do it now don’t want.

Tony

I appreciate this, and don't expect anything in terms of compensation, etc. It's not the fact that they changed the policy - sure they are entitled to do so whenever they want. For me, the bigger issue is not communicating the change and just sliding in new wording so that no one (who has already purchased) is aware of it. The bigger issue still is the lack of consistency implementing the change - I was on a different ship a WEEK earlier with the same package and there was no issue getting shakes.

On a side note, should my kids decide they DO like mocktails, are they able to get served at a bar or would I need to go and order their drinks? Having never sent a child to the bar, I'm not sure of the policy....

Kids get their drinks at any bar - there are always kids at the pool bars getting sodas, mocktails etc.

As of today on Princess.com:

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & More Package, entitling you to unlimited fountain soft drinks, plus mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge. Package must be purchased for full length of voyage, cannot be shared, is non-transferable, and is non-refundable within 3 days of sailing.

This was for $8.05 per person per day. THERE IS NOTHING MENTIONED ABOUT SHAKES. THE "SHIP" MAY ALLOW SHAKES AT THEIR DISCRETION, BUT THAT'S NOT THE PRINCESS AGREEMENT

We had the shakes on our June cruise on the Coral. I would have been talking to the Food and Beverage Mgr if they had not been because the cruise personalizer certainly included those in the description. At least we do like the other parts of the package, but I would have been upset if they had taken away part of the package without a reduction in price.

Since this is the only reason you purchased the package, I would demand a refund on board so they have a record of your request for refund and then follow up post cruise.

The Soda and more package actually originated as the Ultimate Kids Package and it could only be purchased for kids. It was the comments on the surveys and to the Food and Beverage Mgrs and even to the shoreside Princess office by us and many other people I know (and certainly many others beyond that) that resulted in Princess finally opening this up to everyone. It was then marketed as the Ultimate Kids Package--for kids from 3 to 93-- and then renamed as the Soda and More package. So for Princess to take milkshakes away from this package but include it in an adults only inclusive beverage package with alcohol which kids can't purchase makes no sense.

To be honest, adults were ALWAYS able to order the Ultimate Kids drink package. My husband I did on our Princess cruises without any issue at all. And we didn't pre purchase them, we bought them the first day of our cruises.

I used to purchase the soda-only package on every cruise, and when they discontinued it, I was required to move up to the 'Soda & More' package. They put a UKP (Unlimited Kids Package) sticker on my card, but I am more definitely NOT a kid.

It's annoying that the milkshakes are gone, but the price is still way better than the Celebrity packages.

To be honest, adults were ALWAYS able to order the Ultimate Kids drink package. My husband I did on our Princess cruises without any issue at all. And we didn't pre purchase them, we bought them the first day of our cruises.

When the Ultimate Kids Package was first introduced by Princess, we were not permitted to purchase it on several cruises we took on several different ships. And we even talked with the Food and Beverage Mgr on each ship where we tried to purchase it, but was told it was for kids (17 and under) It was two to three years before adults were allowed to purchase it. When adults were then allowed to order the package, the wording on the sales presentation on the UKP was change to "for kids from 3 to 93".

When the Ultimate Kids Package was first introduced by Princess, we were not permitted to purchase it on several cruises we took on several different ships. And we even talked with the Food and Beverage Mgr on each ship where we tried to purchase it, but was told it was for kids (17 and under) It was two to three years before adults were allowed to purchase it. When adults were then allowed to order the package, the wording on the sales presentation on the UKP was change to "for kids from 3 to 93".

When it was the kids package it came with the really cool swirly animal straw. My kids still have all of them! It's true that initially adults were not permitted to purchase this package - I remember trying on a few cruises! That part has, at least, changed for the better!

Just got off the phone with Princess Customer Service. Princess discontinued Shakes/Malts in The Unlimited Beverages and More Package as of Oct 3, 2017. I had prepaid my UBMP for my next 2 cruises well before the change date. I asked if I would be grandfathered in. The answer I got was no. Shakes and malts will not be included. I asked how much shakes and malts cost. (Sorry cant remember the exact cost) Over $2 per shake. What a rip off especially since it is just adding milk to soft serve ice cream. I would think a mocktail would be more expensive.

Just got off the phone with Princess Customer Service. Princess discontinued Shakes/Malts in The Unlimited Beverages and More Package as of Oct 3, 2017. I had prepaid my UBMP for my next 2 cruises well before the change date. I asked if I would be grandfathered in. The answer I got was no. Shakes and malts will not be included. I asked how much shakes and malts cost. (Sorry cant remember the exact cost) Over $2 per shake. What a rip off especially since it is just adding milk to soft serve ice cream. I would think a mocktail would be more expensive.

I got pretty much the same response when I called them. I had also pre-purchased long before the package was changed but did not get the shakes honoured. I also questioned the fact that mocktails costing $5 were included but shakes costing $2 were not included! Makes no sense whatsoever, but a lot of things don't make sense with Princess these days...

My guess is it's a capacity thing. If you think about it, there's usually a long line at the ice cream place for milkshakes. Only one person at the counter and the shakes take a long time, especially since they have to wash out the blender almost every time. Mocktails are made by bartenders anywhere on the ship. It's probably easier to just have the bartenders make mocktails than to staff extra people at the ice cream bar.

I would take it up with them BEFORE you get home. Start complaining early and you may get the shakes included. Wait till you're home and the most you'd get is a paltry refund or a "gee, we're sorry that happened".

Agree deal with it now... talk to customer service, if you do not get satisfaction ask to talk to head of hotel management... believe this staff person is over all dining rooms, bars, buffet etc. oBe insistent that only he or she can help you...

Currently on the Emerald which has the new premium package and shakes are included. It was listed in the description. Perhaps the comment is in reference to the Royal and Regal?

Can anyone give me their thoughts on whether this would be acceptable or seen as "cheating"....

We have already pre-purchased soda and more packages for our cruise in December (again, did this BEFORE the change but we know now that the original terms will not be honoured). What if the 2 adults were to purchase the all inclusive/premier beverage package and got shakes with these, while the kids (as an example) got soda/mocktails with their cards and then we just all "switched" drinks.....It's not really cheating or sharing as we have each paid for a drink package....

On the flip side, I could just cancel all of the pre-purchased packages and stick to pay as we go. Princess would be the ones losing out as we really only get them for convenience and to not have to think about a bill at the end....we certainly don't drink the value of any of the packages!

I am well over the age of consent, and for the past four cruises, I ordered the Sodas and more package due to my medications. (I don't like alcohol anyway). I have never seen milkshakes on the list, unless they were on the original package and I missed it I also thought it was a seasonal thing too. I order the sticker as soon as we book (at least a year in advance). I wish the order covered them, or at least the gelato.

I used to purchase the soda-only package on every cruise, and when they discontinued it, I was required to move up to the 'Soda & More' package. They put a UKP (Unlimited Kids Package) sticker on my card, but I am more definitely NOT a kid.

It's annoying that the milkshakes are gone, but the price is still way better than the Celebrity packages.

The $8.05 hadn't changed, even after dropping the shakes. They should at least lower the price after lowering the amount of what is available

My guess is it's a capacity thing. If you think about it, there's usually a long line at the ice cream place for milkshakes. Only one person at the counter and the shakes take a long time, especially since they have to wash out the blender almost every time. Mocktails are made by bartenders anywhere on the ship. It's probably easier to just have the bartenders make mocktails than to staff extra people at the ice cream bar.

I think there needs to be designated stations for the speciality coffees and more crew to make them. Talk about a wait line for those! That particular offering has become very popular. IMO

I really have trouble understanding what everyone is so upset about. There are still frozen drinks that are good and other mocktails and diet coke at meals is great for me. I had a milkshake the last cruise I was on just because it was free and it was not good at all!!

Pooh

For us it boils down to the fact that neither of my kids drink soda or juice and used the sticker for shakes only. They have never tried mocktails as I have never allowed them to go to the bar to order a drink. We have a short cruise coming up and they will try the mocktails - if they don't like them, then the package is now useless for us. I will say again - we do not buy the package to save money (at $2.50 a shake, it would be more economical to do pay as you go as the most they drink is 3 a day and only 1 if it's a day in port). However, the convenience of them being able to go to the ice cream counter and get their own shakes is more than worth it - I take away charging rights on their cards so without the sticker it would be me going to order their drinks each time.