New TSA regulations for flights.

boscobeans

Responding to the possibility that terrorists may be able to hide explosives in electronic devices, the Transportation Security Administration is about to start new screening procedures for carry-on luggage at airports nationwide.

In the next few weeks, passengers traveling through every U.S. airport will be required to put all electronic devices larger than a cellphone in a separate bin during security screening.

Might think about adding a little time for security.

bosco

Nothing new here. The article you're reading is three months old, dated July 26, 2017 and takes its information from a TSA press release of the same date. It's not something that will take place in a few weeks...these procedures have already been implemented. In addition they do not apply to TSA Precheck screening lanes.

I've never seen any advice suggesting you arrive three hours before flight time, particularly for domestic or international travel originating in the US. There might be a few foreign airports where that's the case, but that is by no means the norm.

I just flew last week within the US and my bag was pulled aside to screen because I had some Swedish Fish in a ziplock bag. The guy in front of me got pulled aside for having bags of Cheez its and the lady in front of him was pulled aside for protein bars. There was no signs that warned of the new screenings. On my return flight, I asked and was told to put all my snacks in one of the dishes that you normally use for coins and jewelry and then sent through the scanner.

The practice of "putting all electronic devices larger than a cellphone in a separate bin during security screening" has been in place for years overseas, between all airports and as you return home. PreCheck is non-existent overseas so if that is where you are headed, plan accordingly.

Responding to the possibility that terrorists may be able to hide explosives in electronic devices, the Transportation Security Administration is about to start new screening procedures for carry-on luggage at airports nationwide.

In the next few weeks, passengers traveling through every U.S. airport will be required to put all electronic devices larger than a cellphone in a separate bin during security screening.

Might think about adding a little time for security.

bosco

That is old news.

2 weeks ago at JFK going to Vancouver they stressed laptops, game boys and one other device had to be put in a separate tray, specifically told me my tablet, although bigger than a cell phone, could stay inside my carry on bag. We got there at 9:30 PM, took 2 hours to check luggage and go through TSA. The plane started boarding a few minutes after we got to the gate for a 12:15 AM flight, had no problems. 3 hours sounds about right.

Nothing new here. The article you're reading is three months old, dated July 26, 2017 and takes its information from a TSA press release of the same date. It's not something that will take place in a few weeks...these procedures have already been implemented. In addition they do not apply to TSA Precheck screening lanes.

I've never seen any advice suggesting you arrive three hours before flight time, particularly for domestic or international travel originating in the US. There might be a few foreign airports where that's the case, but that is by no means the norm.

I agree with you. I do think it is nice the OP decided to post as a reminder, but as you said, it isn't really news unless some people do not watch tv or read a newspaper. I also see no reason for arriving 3 hours ahead of time. I hope the poster was just being sarcastic.

There actually are more stringent security inspections going into effect today for flights to the US originating in foreign countries, but these screening procedures obviously won't be carried out by TSA. They'll be done by whatever agency conducts the screening in the country where the flight originates.

I flew last month out of RDU and my cell phone (iPhone 6s Plus) was pulled out of my backpack for inspection. The lady said it showed something “weird” on the screen. She put in under a machine and wiped it for drugs. Whatever!!! Nothing found thou.

[emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I flew last month out of RDU and my cell phone (iPhone 6s Plus) was pulled out of my backpack for inspection. The lady said it showed something “weird” on the screen. She put in under a machine and wiped it for drugs. Whatever!!! Nothing found thou.

I hope you said thank you for them taking the extra time and effort to check something that may or may not have been an issue. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'm always grateful when they ask to look at something more closely. I'd rather they check stuff a million times and have it be nothing than not check the one time it is something.

I hope you said thank you for them taking the extra time and effort to check something that may or may not have been an issue. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'm always grateful when they ask to look at something more closely. I'd rather they check stuff a million times and have it be nothing than not check the one time it is something.

I was surprised it was pulled out and checked (I fly a few time a year). There were ppl with laptops and iPads (larger items than my phone) and they went thru with no problems.

Of course I’m grateful they do inspections, you never know what could happen, it’s just that when you know you’re clean and think you’re ok, they make you feel like you’re carrying something ilegal.

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I think that most of us are thankful that the authorities try and keep us safe while flying but unfortunately all the procedures and delays we experience in airports are just giving us an illusion of safety and well-being.

It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't type of things.

I've always had to pull out my tablet/laptop and put it in a bin. However, I will say that my global entry has made me feel it was worth every penny even though I've only used it twice so far but have used the bundled pre-check a bunch more to avoid all of this mess.

I fly over 100,000 miles per year both domestically and internationally. Nothing new has been stated here. There is some misinformation here though. If you have TSA pre-check, you do NOT need to pull your laptop out or any other electronics. You also don't need to remove any food items. However, that being said, occasionally, something may look funny and they may ask to look at something like a bread wrapped in aluminum foil in your bag. And yes, when they do something like that, I am glad to see it rather than risk something getting through that shouldn't.

They wiped for explosive materials not drugs... similar to the dogs you see in the terminals (as opposed to customs), they are searching for explosives not drugs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

They wiped for explosive materials not drugs... similar to the dogs you see in the terminals (as opposed to customs), they are searching for explosives not drugs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

That’s not what she said when I asked her what and why she was doing it, but OK. I went and came back. Everything’s cool.

[emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji1308]

I'm PRE-TSA and was asked if I had any snacks in my carry-on. :confused:

That's really bizarre. I checked TSA's website and they listed most foods according to if you could/could not take it through security (mostly liquid stuff is prohibited) but it doesn't say anything about having to take it out of your bag and show it to them separately. I believe you guys that it happened to, and I'm wondering if either the TSA desperately needs to update their website or there are certain TSA officers taking the new rules a bit too far. I don't want someone pawing through my food. Packaged stuff, maybe, but what about the burger and fries I just bought?