Enforcement of 2 bottle cabin limit

michaeljc70

Should have added, does everyone realise that the limit is two bottles right?

There's no mention about bottle size is there? If not, magnums, double magnums, jeroboam, rehoboam, imperial, methuselah, salmanazar, balthazar and even, if you can carry it on that is, a nebuchadnezzar bottle is technically allowed onboard! :D

This is from their FAQ:

If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

The wine that was taken from us was last spring on our SA cruise. Maybe we are marked as not having a beverage package...lol !!

Also I packed my 2 bottles for embarkation in my luggage and was called to the naughty room to retrieve them. It took time for a hectic day and was annoying to go stand in line. Now I pack in my carry on and take something nice from home that I enjoy sipping.

When I buy in port I assume the bottle will be taken and returned on the last night as per the rule .

At home I may consume a drink a month

Some of the nicer Bordeaux wines retail at around just 15 - 20% of what Celebrity charge onboard. I totally appreciate they're a business looking to maximise their profits, but the reality for me is that I just couldn't justify spending that amount. So taking a couple of special bottles onboard and paying the corkage fee (not always charged) makes a lot of sense to me personally.

I drink a lot of Kiwi savvy blanc at home, so it's a little disappointing to see Villa Maria examples on the premium package as this is just an everyday wine sold in pretty much every large UK supermarket. Then to add insult to injury, they sell out towards the end of a cruise and you're left with an inferior example from the classic package. Or at least that's been my experience on my last three cruises.

Incidentally I once had a frank and fairly lengthy discussion with a ships officer who basically said that they know passengers smuggle booze onboard but they're not overly concerned about it as they experience very little bad behaviour caused by drunks. She also stated that because so many passengers have beverage packages these days they don't see it as a threat commercially and if people are drinking their own booze as opposed to 'their' booze if they have a package there's even less cause for concern. Which, when you think about it all makes sense. She did point out that that is certainly NOT the official stance though.

Some good points to consider. Also, just bringing a couple of nice bottles of wine that is NOT on the package lists is a very good reason as was mention previously. Will bring our allotted 2 bottles with the premium package purchased too. We are planning to enjoy more of the Martini's, etc. and I plan to try many beers I would not pay to try. I find many of them have become 'skunky' if there is not velocity in the turnover of them on the refrigerators shelves.

Some good points to consider. Also, just bringing a couple of nice bottles of wine that is NOT on the package lists is a very good reason as was mention previously. Will bring our allotted 2 bottles with the premium package purchased too. We are planning to enjoy more of the Martini's, etc. and I plan to try many beers I would not pay to try. I find many of them have become 'skunky' if there is not velocity in the turnover of them on the refrigerators shelves.

The beer selection is quite good in the passport bar. They have a number of German and Belgium beers including a couple of Trappist beers. Some of those can be kept for years apparently, though that never seems to happen here at home.

Most are on premium and a couple come with an additional charge too but worth trying for sure. Just bear in mind that many of these can range from 6% to 9% ABV. :D

The beer selection is quite good in the passport bar. They have a number of German and Belgium beers including a couple of Trappist beers. Some of those can be kept for years apparently, though that never seems to happen here at home.

Most are on premium and a couple come with an additional charge too but worth trying for sure. Just bear in mind that many of these can range from 6% to 9% ABV. :D

Will for sure check out some Trappist beers. I have been drinking a lot of ales, pale ales, IPA's, bitters, stouts, porters and will branch out under my 'included' package. I typically drink ales vs lagers, but not on our upcoming cruise. For sure too, will have to note the ABV's! I like 5-7 in general so that I can enjoy more beer. Many times at a local bar, the 8% plus beers get served in smaller glasses :(, so more alcohol and less beer to drink.

Do you have any favorites?

My experience is that bottles of booze/wine bought in port are generally not taken away from us. Maybe we look well-behaved? :D

On our Equinox cruise in April, we purchased a bottle of rum in Barbados and were ready to surrender it as we reboarded. When we put our backpack through the scanner one of the security staff said "you have a bottle in your bag" and then just handed us the backpack after it cleared.

Have to admit - we do look well-behaved. :D

On our Equinox cruise in April, we purchased a bottle of rum in Barbados and were ready to surrender it as we reboarded. When we put our backpack through the scanner one of the security staff said "you have a bottle in your bag" and then just handed us the backpack after it cleared.

Have to admit - we do look well-behaved. :D

LOL. They may have not wanted to mess with it.

We always put our two bottles in our checked suitcases wrapped in clothes for extra protection and have never been called to the naughty room. THis allows us to bring two bottles in hand luggage. If we had to go to the naughty room as some call it no big deal

It actually was quite a pill. The suitcase didnt arrive with our other luggage and we were concerned it may have been lost. we finally got a call to go the lower deck to claim the bag right before dinner and got in line with about 100 others. There was a free for all when the staff let the passengers into the area to claim their bags. We had to open the bag and show what was packed in it. There were bags being opened all over the floor -it was a mess.:( We would definitely place the bottle in carry-ons going forward.

Interesting discussion thanks to the OP for posting - happy to know the rules...

Work for European wine importer and love good wine, especially w/ dinner:wine-glass: Wouldn't feel the need to bring anything BUT several other CC posts detail the lack of consistent and/or quality wine on board. We all have our thing & to each their own, Me - I'm into nice wine (especially from Europe) so I'll bring some along (not saying how much tho ;).)

Maybe if Celebrity would address the wine quality/availability issue (and if price is a concern, I can guarantee that there are many, many excellent quality wines out there w/ in the classic & premium drink package price range), I'd happily forgo lugging my own stock - I drag wine all across the US every week for work so I'd definitely prefer a day off... :D

Interesting discussion thanks to the OP for posting - happy to know the rules...

Work for European wine importer and love good wine, especially w/ dinner:wine-glass: Wouldn't feel the need to bring anything BUT several other CC posts detail the lack of consistent and/or quality wine on board. We all have our thing & to each their own, Me - I'm into nice wine (especially from Europe) so I'll bring some along (not saying how much tho ;).)

Maybe if Celebrity would address the wine quality/availability issue (and if price is a concern, I can guarantee that there are many, many excellent quality wines out there w/ in the classic & premium drink package price range), I'd happily forgo lugging my own stock - I drag wine all across the US every week for work so I'd definitely prefer a day off... :D

I know, I enjoy a decent quality single malt or XO Cognac in the Evening. These are either just not available on board or are utterly insane prices. When you holiday on land it's no issue to bring your own bottle with you. It would be nice if Celebrity relaxed the bring aboard rules slightl.

Let me start by saying I haven't been on a Celebrity cruise in 10 years (though I've been on several previously). I took 2 cruises in the last year on NCL. On one we had the drink package, the other we didn't. I found the quality of the drinks to be subpar. Not necessarily in taste, but in amount of alcohol. I am not expecting (or wanting) to get bombed off a couple drinks, but I am comparing them to establishments in the large city where I live (and the costs on the ship were comparable). Even though you can have as many as you want, I really don't want to drink 6 drinks. I'd rather have 3 well made drinks in a night and skip all the extra mixers. Eventually, I started ordering a drink with a shot and added the shot to my glass. Of course, if you are paying, that gets very expensive.

I am wondering with the advent of more and more purchasing (or getting for free) the drink packages, they have started diminishing the amount of alcohol in the drinks with the thought being people can order as many as they want.

When paying for drinks on NCL, I resorted to drinking mostly wine as that was the only guarantee of getting a good drink.

On NCL I also took advantage of the $15 corkage fee for wines brought on board. I guess it is $25 on Celebrity which changes that dynamic a little (especially if the wines aren't very expensive).

I know, I enjoy a decent quality single malt or XO Cognac in the Evening. These are either just not available on board or are utterly insane prices. When you holiday on land it's no issue to bring your own bottle with you. It would be nice if Celebrity relaxed the bring aboard rules slightl.

being very 'spirit open-minded' I completely agree with your excellent choices! (y)

I don't get the fascination of bringing your own booze and drinking it in your cabin. You are on vacation for goodness sake why grudge yourself drinks at the bars on board.

I think in a lot of cases people aren't just drinking them in their cabins they are enjoying them on their on their balconys. My wife, who doesnt drink, gets absolutely no enjoyment from sitting in bars and I don't enjoy propping the bar up alone, but we both enjoy sitting on the balcony whilst I have a drink. This, for us, is more pleasurable than drinking in a bar (many of which have no view whatsoever) . Secondly, choice. The bars are great if you want a martini cocktail, not so great if your sundownder of choice is a particular wine.

Edited by DYKWIA

I don't get the fascination of bringing your own booze and drinking it in your cabin. You are on vacation for goodness sake why grudge yourself drinks at the bars on board.

Sitting on our balcony enjoying a glass of our favorite wine before dinner is one of the most relaxing and wonderful parts of every cruise vacation for us. We are very glad we are able to bring two bottles on board to do that.

Fascination? What a bizarre thing to say!

We always put our two bottles in our checked suitcases wrapped in clothes for extra protection and have never been called to the naughty room. THis allows us to bring two bottles in hand luggage. If we had to go to the naughty room as some call it no big deal

It is a huge deal to stand in a long line and wait when you could be going to dinner or anything else on a busy first day .. how about the long line just to get the clothes you need. Go through this once and you won't risk it a second time

Then you open you bag while a crew member watches you dig out whatever showed in the scanner. Then zip up and drag your bag back to your cabin.... and hopefully not the length of the ship

Such a fun way to spend time

To each their own. :rolleyes: When we use to bring wine aboard we didn't always drink it in our cabin.

To each their own. :rolleyes: When we use to bring wine aboard we didn't always drink it in our cabin.

We didn't either. We used to purchase the alcohol package as we did like to enjoy a cocktail on balcony and I also enjoyed one while waiting for DW as she got ready for dinner. It was nice to not have to head out to a bar.

We will still bring a couple of bottles on our next cruise and see how it works with the premium package. I am thinking though I will be enjoying many beers I would not normally try and also more martinis. Think I might go get a couple and bring back prior to dinner if needed/wanted. :)

We will usually bring two bottles of very nice wine with us to enjoy with dinner on a couple different nights. We also enjoy having some on our balcony late afternoon or early evening so the two bottle limit conflicts with those activities. We always have had the premium drink package so it's never been a cost savings issue, more of a quality or convenience issue. I saw a different thread where someone had a great solution to this issue. They saved the bottle from the welcome aboard sparkling wine and the first bottle they emptied from what they brought onboard. This gave them one white and one red bottle. Then they would make a couple trips during the day to get glasses of wine from one of the bars (always getting the same wine), bring them back to their cabin and used a funnel they had packed to pour the wine into the bottle, replace the cork, and then they had wine to enjoy on their balcony that evening.

Not going to say which cruise line cause I don't want them to be looking for me next time I cruise with them. On a transatlantic sailing when putting into port at the first port the way security was set up was: ship, duty free shops, security and scanners, locals. Translated: You could buy all the booze you wanted and no one was there to take it away from you. We did not push it too hard, but we did push it.

Original OP here. Just to add some info, the cost of the Premium beverage package would be 50% more than what I paid for the cruise. On one hand it seems crazy to spend that relative to the cruise. On the other hand, I think since I got the cruise so cheap, spend the money on the drink package. The first point seems to resonate more with me.