Please, Princess, make some different types of bed pillows available.

flamomo

I recently did a 23 day cruise on the Pacific Princess. and had a problem with the bed pillows that were provided. I'm a side sleeper, and the fat, puffy. overly soft pillows that were on the beds simply don't work for me. When laying on my side, I felt like I was being smothered by the pillow.

I asked the steward if he could please find me one that was less fluffy and puffy, and a bit firmer. He tried repeatedly, but apparently they are just not available any more. Every one he brought for me to try was too fat and too soft.

I even tried sleeping without a pillow one night, but that didn't work either.

Finally, several days into the cruise, in a desperate attempt to try to help me get a decent night's rest, my wonderful steward, Jay, fashioned one for me using towels, and it actually worked reasonably well. I was very grateful for his efforts.

Princess needs to understand that pillows are not a 'one type works for everyone" item and provide different types of pillows for different types of sleepers. People like me, who are side sleepers need a different style than what is comfortable for those who sleep on their backs.. The fat, puffy, overly soft ones just don't work for every one.

I also bring my own contoured travel size pillow. Those overstuffed things on ships and at hotels are terrible. I guess they are supposed to look like a luxury. Mine looks small but it does the job and packs easily when compressed. I have arthritis damage to my neck and a compressed disk.

I agree 100%. One time I asked for a foam pillow. Room steward didn't understand. Brought additional flat, soft pillows. I usually end up folding one in half and then putting another one on top of it

I too sleep on foam pillows (three of them) at home. But cruise lines and hotel chains seem to think they are "downmarket" compared to the faux feather pillows they provide. So I just resign myself every vacation to sleeping on "luxury" (sic) pillows that are absolute mush compared to the two-for-$10 Costco foam pillows I really love.

I agree that if you need a particular type of pillow in order to get a good night's sleep, bring it with you. I have bad neck issues and don't go anywhere without my cervical neck pillow - I can cover it with a large ziplock bag and carry it right on top of my carry-on bag. I also have one of the travel contour pillows and have been known to roll up my regular bed pillow and carry it in my suitcase if by some miracle it's not full.

On the Star Princess in September, we each had 2 pillows, one thick & fluffy, the other thinner. The thicker one made a decent 'body pillow' for side sleepers.

Anyone who lives with back and neck pain would never laugh at anyone they see carrying a pillow with them!

I also hate pillows in the majority of hotels and on Princess. The suites are suppose to have a pillow selection but I have found that all of them are the overstuffed ones. I have thought about bringing my own but never seem to have room.

I'm another one who hates big fat soft pillows. I'm also a side sleeper and use a contoured foam pillow at home. So far I haven't taken it with me, but I am tempted. I try to make do by folding the pillow when possible.

I was so excited on Celebrity when we had a cabin that had a pillow menu as a perk; however, when they brought me the 'menu' none of the available pillows were any better.

Besides that, I have an allergy to feathers; it doesn't kick in unlessl I've been sleeping on feather pillows for a while, and so far, luckily, our longest cruise has been 17 days and I got along ok.

I've considered bringing my own, but I already have enough trouble staying under the airline's luggage weight limit, and would prefer not to have to pay extra fees for a 2nd or 3rd checked bag on international flights just for the purpose of toting my preferred type of pillow.

That's why I was hoping that Princess would read the post and recognize that their current pillows are not comfortable for every type of sleeper, and realize that it might be a good thing to offer some other options..

COMPLETELY agree with need for multiple pillow types. I too need a thick, hard pillow. "Luxury" pillows are usually mush, and I don't get it because to me they're like using nothing at all. I bring a small travel-size Tempurpedic foam pillow with me when I travel (even fits in carry-on), but a full-size pillow is always much more preferable.

Now if they would just give us a choice of a duvet or not. I hate duvets for sleeping--I am either too hot with it on or freezing with it off. I do ask for at least a top sheet, and usually they will also give me a blanket.

I wish I could put this preference in before I get there. I always feel bad asking my steward to remake my bed on their very busy turn-around day. But I do tell them there is no rush.

I think it's all about the impression that duvets and huge soft pillows are 'luxury' items and trendy.

Not all trends are good!

Just to say I was on the Grand Princess a little over a week ago (Pacific Coastal). I asked our steward for a firm, foam type pillow when he came to introduce himself to us.

No problem, one was provided at turn down service.

The pillow wasn’t perfect for me BUT it was a lot better than the over-soft ones that come as standard.

I've considered bringing my own, but I already have enough trouble staying under the airline's luggage weight limit, and would prefer not to have to pay extra fees for a 2nd or 3rd checked bag on international flights just for the purpose of toting my preferred type of pillow.

That's why I was hoping that Princess would read the post and recognize that their current pillows are not comfortable for every type of sleeper, and realize that it might be a good thing to offer some other options..

I hear you. I put my pillow in one of those "decompression" bags that you roll the air out of. I take the pillow case off and it fits nicely in my carry-on. Just a thought.