Disaster....what would you do?

gepgelmik

I’m a retired RN and had my gallbladder removed laprocopically 16 years ago. I wouldn’t drive that far so soon after surgery. As Robinsoncruiseo said, sometimes food “ processes” differently ( I still take meds for this). If you have problems, would you want to be cared for in a foreign place? I would cancel and rebook at a time when I was healthy and can enjoy all parts of the cruise.

I had gallbladder surgery, my gallbladder was infected and impacted. During the surgery they nicked my liver. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital. I never ever had pain that bad in my life. I was so sick. I wish you the best. My surgery was a nightmare and the recovery took for ever and it was also a nightmare. I pray for you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally I would get a second doctor's opinion, preferably somebody who could look at my medical records and talk to me in person. If both doctors are in agreement, I would take the cruise, but I would seriously look into flying to Newark rather than driving (assuming there is no medical restriction on you flying.) If the two doctors are not in agreement I would use the travel insurance even if it means a lengthy delay in vacationing. Good luck to you!!!

Will your Car Insurance be Valid so soon after Surgery, Here in UK, you have to have written permission off your doctor before you can drive after any surgery. It has something to do with being able to carry out an Emergency stop as the pressure would probably make you release the brakes if the pain was severe enough.

Two years ago I was where you are but with a land based trip booked for dh and I. I had never had gall bladder issues but when I had my attack some very large gallstones were found and I had to have my gb removed immediately with a vacation planned for the following week. A close gf had hers removed a year earlier and kept telling me to take the holiday since she said the surgery was a piece of cake. Dh and I decided it wasn't worth the risk "just in case". To this day I am so glad we didn't travel.

The surgery was easy, the first couple of days flew by.....then I got hit with pain for 3 days straight that was as bad as the gallstones themselves. I have a pretty high pain threshold but I have never felt worse than I did for those 3 days. Although none of the doctors could figure out exactly what was going on the working theory was some sort of infection and I was treated with antibiotics...but again they really didn't know for sure and my surgeon who is top notch tells me after any surgery sometimes these things happen and the body just reacts. I would not have been wanting to be on a cruise or anywhere other than home.

Yes everything may go great, smoothly etc......but it is surgery and if it doesn't only you can decide if it is worth the risk.

I'm really surprised your doctor told you to go on the trip. Does he realize the mere hours after having surgery, you'll be driving, alone, for 7 hours to get there? Even the simplest surgery can have complications and you'll be so dependent on other people...to put your bag in the car, get it out, and the same at the other end of the trip, plus having to cancel excursions and such. Even with an early morning colonoscopy I was told no driving until the next day. (due to the anesthesia)...your surgery is in the evening so it's hard to imagine a doctor saying, "no problem, get in the car tomorrow morning and drive alone for 7 hours." At the very least, I'd get a second opinion on that.

I'm really surprised your doctor told you to go on the trip. Does he realize the mere hours after having surgery, you'll be driving, alone, for 7 hours to get there? Even the simplest surgery can have complications and you'll be so dependent on other people...to put your bag in the car, get it out, and the same at the other end of the trip, plus having to cancel excursions and such. Even with an early morning colonoscopy I was told no driving until the next day. (due to the anesthesia)...your surgery is in the evening so it's hard to imagine a doctor saying, "no problem, get in the car tomorrow morning and drive alone for 7 hours." At the very least, I'd get a second opinion on that.

Surgery is today some time, drive is Friday.

Personal Health > Vacation.

3 days post op I would not feel comfortable boarding a ship. Everything COULD very well go fine, and likely would, but in the instance of complications I would want ready access to medical personnel. Yes, there is medical staff on the ship, but post-surgical complication is not something I would mess with, personally.

See no issues with going on cruise post op. See major issues driving I-80 from Cleveland thru PA to NJ. I-80 is a drivers nightmare and so stressful especially from Ohio border thru Brooksville, PA. I hate to drive that stretch when feeling fine.

Is there any way you can fly and take shuttle from airport in NJ?

DH just went on cruise with me to Cuba 2 weeks ago. He had major surgery Sept. 8 and was in ICU for 10 days and then in sub acute rehab for 2 weeks. His surgeons encouraged him to go on cruise. The difference was he did not have to drive, carry luggage or even walk to ship. I arranged wheel chair to get him from valet parking to ship. He rested except goint to lunch, happy hour and dinner. However, he did get off ship in Havana and go to dinner and a show at Hotel Nacionale. We took a cab.

He had gallbladder surgery a few years ago and had easy recovery. Each of us is different. Let your body be your guide. Get Well Soon

I would fly and cruise. Driving by yourself if the potential problem. I had to have the open gallbladder surgery and while the first 24 hours were rough, after that I was fine. My husband had the laproscopic gb surgery and it was easy peasy. Could have gone to work the next day. Anecdotal, but I wish you the same experience. I completely understand about not wanting to lose out on the timing of this vacation. Hope you can go!

My first post went pfffttt in cyberspace.

Lots of well meaning folks BUT I think that advising you to postpone surgery might not be the best advice for your situation.

Please listen to your Dr. and make a decision based on his input. He knows best your personal situation and what you can endure.

Have the surgery...postpone the cruise. It will take a huge stresser away from you in a difficult time.

Every gall bladder surgery and situation is different. My gallstones had blocked my bile duct, causing acute pancreatitis (and jaundice - lovely in an adult), so I was an elective case that became an emergency case that 1st had to have a procedure to unblock my duct and place a stent and then take out the gallbladder (and then 4 weeks later, I had another procedure to take out the stent). Since I went into the procedure in rough shape and needed 72 hours of in-patient IV for the pancreatitis, I felt like crap for 10-14 days...and I didn't become 100% normal feeling for 3-6 months (having a 6 month old, the cause of the dead gallbladder, didn't help, I'm sure) and didn't become 100% normal for eating for 2-3 years (and even now, if I get ill, I have extra issues I didn't have before)...

So folks on here, and even you, might not know how bad you are and how bad it will get while waiting for surgery...I can say, I know the attack that blocked my duct (now) and I know how fast everything else developed once that happened (going from daily attacks to practically every eating experience attacks, the immense pain, turning yellow, feeling awful, etc)...my 1st attack did not do that - I was in the process of getting everything checked out when it went bad fast...

My first post went pfffttt in cyberspace.

Lots of well meaning folks BUT I think that advising you to postpone surgery might not be the best advice for your situation.

Please listen to your Dr. and make a decision based on his input. He knows best your personal situation and what you can endure.

Good point! I was diagnosed with gallstones and it seemed to be the sort of thing that could wait a few weeks/months at the time of diagnosis. I ate one wrong bite at a party, containing cream cheese, and my gallbladder went into spasm with the stones now obstructing any outflow of bile and had to have emergency surgery the next morning. You should not cruise with that possibility hanging over your head. In my case, I had to have the open surgery because of the amount of inflammation that had set in already (25 years ago, maybe things are different now). You don't want to have to worry about being medevaced off the ship.

LOL - I had my first gallbladder attack on a cruise ship. I didn't know what it was.

Two attacks later, I figured it out and went to see the doctor.

My surgery was laparoscopic and went well. I stayed in the hospital overnight. I was given pain pills.

I meant to take one that night before bed but was so tired I forgot. I didn't take any of the pills.

I was told to stay home (no work) for two weeks but was not restricted except for the lifting and exercise while on leave. I was climbing the walls after a day at home but followed my doctor's orders to stay out of work for two weeks (office job).

Having been there, done that, my main concern would be the drive. If you can figure out so way to not do the driving I would go on the cruise.

Plan on it being a very laid back experience of just relaxing and the exercise being at most the walking around the ship or port area. Cancel all the excursions. Even if you feel well, you are still healing internally from a major surgery.

If you are thinking about cancelling, check your insurance policy. If you have a cancel for any reason policy, some policies do have a clause where the cancel for any reason no longer applies 24 -48 hours before the cruise and other coverage such as trip delay kicks in.

If your policy does have such a clause, your decision will need to be made before that time period.

FYI: you might experience phantom gallbladder pain after your surgery. It will be a intense knifing pain in the area where your gallbladder was located. It will pass within seconds. You might continue to have the pain for some time after surgery. Mine lasted for six months but the intensity and frequency lessen as time went on.

Luckily I warned by my doctor so I didn't panic the first time it happened.

I needed my GB out but my Dr wouldn't do it before the cruise. So he put me on Prilosec and it did wonders for the discomfort. I came back from the cruise and had surgery the next day. It is good that you have insurance in case you have any complications and can't go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you could go, you should join the roll call and try to connect with others on your sailing , just so you are not "completely alone" Good luck!

With a little bit of luck, maybe there will be someone on your roll call that you can ride share with so you don't have to do all the driving.

Had my gallbladder out and 4 days later went on my cruise. No problem. I only had to travel 4 hours in my car to the airport though but the 4 hours didn't bother me. I say take the cruise. Lifting my suitcase didn't bother either. It was just in and out of the car though.

I see some stayed in hospital overnight. Heck mine kicked me out before I was even totally awake. I don't even remember leaving the hospital. Anyway. Good luck