Disaster....what would you do?

gepgelmik

I am so sorry for your pain and dilemma..however, you must check your insurance very carefully. The question is: If you were to have a complication after the surgery on board would the post surgery issues not fall under pre-existing and therefore perhaps no coverage?

I hope this all turns out well for you. Speedy recovery!

Good point! I was diagnosed with gallstones and it seemed to be the sort of thing that could wait a few weeks/months at the time of diagnosis. I ate one wrong bite at a party, containing cream cheese, and my gallbladder went into spasm with the stones now obstructing any outflow of bile and had to have emergency surgery the next morning. You should not cruise with that possibility hanging over your head. In my case, I had to have the open surgery because of the amount of inflammation that had set in already (25 years ago, maybe things are different now). You don't want to have to worry about being medevaced off the ship.

You are not going to believe this but right after I had some cream cheese I too had a horrendous gall bladder attack. Never having had one before, I had no idea what was wrong but I was taken out of my house on a stretcher doubled over in pain. PLUS when I had my gall bladder out soon after I had it done as you did, the invasive way AND it was exactly 25 years ago.

Amazing what you can find on a cruise message board!

Keep in mind that if you go on the cruise, and if there are complications the ships Dr. may well decide for liability reasons it is in their best interest to disembark you for treatment.

I doubt there are too many hospitals in the Caribbean I would be comfortable being dropped off at, and given the O.P. is travelling solo this could add another complication to an already difficult situation.

Surgery is today some time, drive is Friday.

Sorry, my mistake. I don't know how I read it that I thought your trip was the very next day. 3 days post-op, if everything is ok? I'd go on the trip, though I'd insist on a follow up appointment with the doctor for the afternoon prior to the trip just to make sure there is no infection or other reason he might change his mind about recommending you go.

Hi everyone. Posting from my hospital room! Thank you all for your advice. I’m still undecided.

I think I originally said surgery was Tuesday but had it last night. The night was rough, not because of pain but nausea. I’m actually surprised how little pain there’s been. The first med they gave for nausea didn’t work, and I was annoyed and amused to find that the second med was the same patches I was prescribed for seasickness (just in case) before my first cruise last year. It worked perfectly. Even though the after surgery hadn’t been horrific, I truly don’t understand how people cope with this outpatient.

I was admitted Sunday morning around two and can go home today IF I eat and don’t get sick. Wish me luck.

Hi everyone. Posting from my hospital room! Thank you all for your advice. I’m still undecided.

I think I originally said surgery was Tuesday but had it last night. The night was rough, not because of pain but nausea. I’m actually surprised how little pain there’s been. The first med they gave for nausea didn’t work, and I was annoyed and amused to find that the second med was the same patches I was prescribed for seasickness (just in case) before my first cruise last year. It worked perfectly. Even though the after surgery hadn’t been horrific, I truly don’t understand how people cope with this outpatient.

I was admitted Sunday morning around two and can go home today IF I eat and don’t get sick. Wish me luck.

Good luck. When is your cruise again?

jc

Thank you so much for that update. Please keep us updated about what you decide to do. Hope you heal quickly!

Di

Note to self: Stay away from cream cheese this holiday season. :D

Tell me about it! I was supposed to have mine removed last week. Sailing for Thanksgiving - having it removed when I get back. I can guarantee you i will NOT eat any cream cheese on the cruise!

I am really surprised they didn't kick you out as soon as you woke up! I am glad it it over. Hopefully you will get out of there today. Enjoy your cruise!

Kathy

I knew even before going on my first cruise that I’d love it.So last October I booked a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. Two months later, my family and I had a great time on our ten day holiday trip.

I’ve been anticipating my November 18th, 2017 return to Anthem for months, and three things make it special. I’ve booked a super studio with an extra large balcony, I’ve completed my doctorate, and this time I’m traveling solo. So with a week to embarkation, you can imagine all the prep I had to do.

Friday morning i woke up with pain in my left shoulder, my stomach and my back. When I inhaled, the pain intensified. The pain tapered off during the day. Saturday night I was packing when pain slammed into my lower back. I knew it was muscle spasms so I took pain killers, but within an hour, intense crushing pain had spread to my stomach and wrapped like a vise around my upper abdomen. At 2am, shaking and sweating, I hobbled into the ER. I wasn’t having a heart attack, so for hours I was given medication to numb my stomach, followed by three other painkillers, and a sonogram. Finally, I was admitted to a room, pumped full of narcotics and anti nausea, and sent off for hours of testing. They finally confirmed a diagnosis of gallstones, and my gall bladder has to come out.

My surgery isn’t until Tuesday evening. I need to drive seven hours to New Jersey, alone, on Friday. I can’t lift anything for six weeks or so. To my surprise, the doctor encouraged me to go on the trip....he said he would go if he was in that situation.

So....I have trip insurance and could get my money back, but so many stars had to align for this trip to happen, I’m hesitant to cancel. But with me traveling alone there’s so many things to consider. My carry on bag, swimming, my shore excursions, the long drive...

Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Any advice? What would you do?

Sent from my iPad

My dtr was playing tennis on her league 4 days after her surgery...I on the other hand, back in the olden days was incapacitated for 6 weeks! But with todays micro surgery you should be good to go. Just take it easy and don't do anything too strenuous. Bon Voyage!

And I can sympathize....the pain of a gall bladder attack was worse than having both my babies!

My dtr was playing tennis on her league 4 days after her surgery...I on the other hand, back in the olden days was incapacitated for 6 weeks! But with todays micro surgery you should be good to go. Just take it easy and don't do anything too strenuous. Bon Voyage!

And I can sympathize....the pain of a gall bladder attack was worse than having both my babies!

Kidney stone was worse than the gall bladder attack. ;) :D

I know the OP has had the surgery (and glad it went well gepgelmik) but wanted to add my two cents to not waiting for anyone else. I didn't have any attacks, just a couple of twinges in my back I put down to the fact we were remodeling our basement. Then woke up feeling really bad, still not a lot of pain but just knew something was wrong. The next day I was having the surgery and was told that I wouldn't have lived much longer had I waited. Usually, it's routine and can be postponed, but not always.

I say go... but I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from the hospital after a c-section so I may not be the one to listen to, LOL. At least you'd have more rest and relaxation after your surgery than I did (that baby was #3, no rest for me then for sure, but it was worth it)

I wouldn't take the trip. Actually, I'm surprised your doctor is ok with you going. 3 days is nothing in terms of healing time even if it is a laparoscopic surgery.

Beyond that so questions I'd ask myself: have you ever had abdominal surgery, or any surgery? How well do you tolerate pain? I remember being pretty uncomfortable for a few days after mine, nothing terrible but nothing I'd want to waste a vacation dealing with either. I also know I have a high pain tolerance, my experience isn't going to be yours.

I'd also be worried about complications after surgery. We all hope they don't happen, but you don't want that happening on the boat.[/qu

I wouldn't risk complications after surgery - at the very least you aren't going to back to "normal" activities and possibly pain. Also - remember the medical staff may not be able to deal with an emergency situation. Don't go now but later when you are recovered.

I knew even before going on my first cruise that I’d love it.So last October I booked a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. Two months later, my family and I had a great time on our ten day holiday trip.

I’ve been anticipating my November 18th, 2017 return to Anthem for months, and three things make it special. I’ve booked a super studio with an extra large balcony, I’ve completed my doctorate, and this time I’m traveling solo. So with a week to embarkation, you can imagine all the prep I had to do.

Friday morning i woke up with pain in my left shoulder, my stomach and my back. When I inhaled, the pain intensified. The pain tapered off during the day. Saturday night I was packing when pain slammed into my lower back. I knew it was muscle spasms so I took pain killers, but within an hour, intense crushing pain had spread to my stomach and wrapped like a vise around my upper abdomen. At 2am, shaking and sweating, I hobbled into the ER. I wasn’t having a heart attack, so for hours I was given medication to numb my stomach, followed by three other painkillers, and a sonogram. Finally, I was admitted to a room, pumped full of narcotics and anti nausea, and sent off for hours of testing. They finally confirmed a diagnosis of gallstones, and my gall bladder has to come out.

My surgery isn’t until Tuesday evening. I need to drive seven hours to New Jersey, alone, on Friday. I can’t lift anything for six weeks or so. To my surprise, the doctor encouraged me to go on the trip....he said he would go if he was in that situation.

So....I have trip insurance and could get my money back, but so many stars had to align for this trip to happen, I’m hesitant to cancel. But with me traveling alone there’s so many things to consider. My carry on bag, swimming, my shore excursions, the long drive...

Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Any advice? What would you do?

Sent from my iPad

This is a difficult call to make. I had gall bladder surgery and was great for the first week. Complications set in and I was back in the hospital for almost two weeks. There are always other cruises and our health if the primary concern. I would call RCCL and reschedule. I found when I had to reschedule due to shoulder surgery, they wee wonderful to work with. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Feel good!