Captain's Voice from the Bridge, Can people be quie for ten minutes??

sail7seas

I’ve wore a swimsuit in the Lido! Covered up by the cutest flamingo print coverup dress. I also rocked some flip flops , a hat and smelled of coconut oil.

Grabbed my lunch to go and went back outside.. but if I wanted to stay and eat I felt like I was fine. It wasn’t like I was prancing around in a thong bikini .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve wore a swimsuit in the Lido! Covered up by the cutest flamingo print coverup dress. I also rocked some flip flops , a hat and smelled of coconut oil.

Grabbed my lunch to go and went back outside.. but if I wanted to stay and eat I felt like I was fine. It wasn’t like I was prancing around in a thong bikini .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, of course it was fine and we all know it. There is no reason you canno fgo to Lido lunch in your swimsuit with a coverup THAT covers up all that is neEds to. Just About Everyone here kno s it is fine but some would never say so. :) IF they have sailed the Caribbean, they have been joined days, at lunch in Lido people in their swimsuits and COVERUPS.. Some seem to have a hard time with facts they do not like.

I’ve wore a swimsuit in the Lido! Covered up by the cutest flamingo print coverup dress. I also rocked some flip flops , a hat and smelled of coconut oil. Grabbed my lunch to go and went back outside.. but if I wanted to stay and eat I felt like I was fine. It wasn’t like I was prancing around in a thong bikini . Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Yes, of course it was fine and we all know it. There is no reason you cannot go to Lido llunch in your swimsuit with a coverup THAT covers up all that is neEds to. Just About Everyone here know s it is fine but some would never say so. :) IF they have sailed the Caribbean, they have been joined durfing days, at lunch in Lido by people in their swimsuits and COVERUPS.. Some have a hard time with facts they do not like.

Thank you :). I was thought it was just me.:confused:

Where does all this malarky about swim suits emanate from?

I agree with your thought it might be just you :D.

What is malarky, that people weear swimsuitts to swimming pools? Or that they put on nice coverups when they leave the pools?

:)

On the ships/cruises we have been on the captain's talk is only on sea days and is at 1 PM -- maybe 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late. It has been years since it was at noon on HAL ships.

Not true. Just spent 16 days on Eurodam. Most days, the Captain (John Scott) spoke at noon, or within a few minutes. A couple of days he spoke as we were getting ready to sail from ports.

Yes, of course it was fine and we all know it. There is no reason you canno fgo to Lido lunch in your swimsuit with a coverup THAT covers up all that is neEds to. Just About Everyone here kno s it is fine but some would never say so. :) IF they have sailed the Caribbean, they have been joined days, at lunch in Lido people in their swimsuits and COVERUPS.. Some seem to have a hard time with facts they do not like.

You misunderstood my remark. I neither like nor dislike bathing suits in the Lido. I’m totally neutral. I merely said I don’t do it and have seen very few who do whether in the Caribbean or elsewhere.

Originally posted by sapper1

Thank you :). I was thought it was just me.:confused:

Where does all this malarky about swim suits emanate from?

I agree with your thought it might be just you :D.

What is malarky, that people weear swimsuitts to swimming pools? Or that they put on nice coverups when they leave the pools?

:)

You have somehow quoted your own remark and attributed it to me. Neat trick. How do you do that?

You have somehow quoted your own remark and attributed it to me. Neat trick. How do you do that?

Just added more (much more!) confusion to a thread that was about Captains' announcements and morphed into bathing suits in the Lido....

FWIW on the original topic.... lots of quieter places than the Lido buffet to listen to the captain. You can't expect the servers to down tools, either. I have usually been able to understand what he is saying anyway, if I am at lunch. No big deal.

Acutrallty it is attributed ed to Kazu.

See pOST #35, tHAT might be where the error started. See if you can figure out howw it happened, Sorry, I do not know how it happened, Sorry.

Same thing happened to me earlier in the thread. See post #24 you did the same to me. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, I am one who also is irritated when those around me continue their conversations, thus preventing me from clearly hearing what the Captain is saying.

I also become irritated when I'm in my stateroom, the Captain begins to speak, and I have to rush to the door and open it in order to hear what he/she says.

On a recent Westerdam cruise that was Med/TA we had many sea days, including 8 straight days crossing the Atlantic. Obviously, the Lido deck was very crowded around noon. The captain did his daily position report, weather, and expected sea conditions for the night and next day. A lot of people would (should) listen to the announcement because it will tell you if the seas will be rough, and the precautions to take if it is. But, we also experienced the usual people who, when hearing the captain's announcement, just jack up their voices even louder so they can continue their (I'm sure) critically important conversations over top of the announcement, which lasts maybe 4 or 5 minutes. I understand what a great sacrifice it is to quiet down for 4 or 5 minutes, but the information they may hear could impact their comfort and safety that evening or through the night. We had one fairly rough night, with 24 ft seas, and the captain advised people to avoid using the stair towers, no high heals for dinner, and take any breakables off of the desk, counters and bathroom shelves to avoid breakage. That is important information that a lot of people missed because they felt their conversations were too important. And asking people who are eating lunch or have snagged one of the rare free tables available in the lido deck, to vacate their table and find another place on the ship to hear a 5 minute announcement is inconsiderate.

I don't think it's too much to ask for people to pause their conversations to listen (or allow others to be able to hear) the captain's noon announcement. You should't have to ditch your lunch, abandon your table, and run back to your cabin to hear a 5 minute, sometimes important announcement. The same type of rudeness also happens on airplanes when the captain makes an announcement. Some people continue their conversations, and even raise their voices to override the PA announcement.

Yes, I am one who also is irritated when those around me continue their conversations, thus preventing me from clearly hearing what the Captain is saying.

I also become irritated when I'm in my stateroom, the Captain begins to speak, and I have to rush to the door and open it in order to hear what he/she says.

On the recently renovated ships with the new flat-screen TV's that are on-demand, you select "Live TV", then select the Aft Camera channel. All announcements are broadcast on that channel and you don't need to prop your cabin door open to hear them..

I do not disagree that our society has become rude. But, I think it is a deeper issue than simple rudeness. Our society has become an angry society. Not long in the past, persons of responsibility were respected and our society's actions reflected that respect. Ocean liner/cruise ship Captains were among such persons. People in responsible positions today seem not to be respected frequently.

I won't disagree that many who have been, or are, in responsible positions have earned our society's disrespect. But, there are many others who should be respected and are not.

What we are witnessing in some cruisers' behavior during the "Talk from the Bridge"--whatever time/day it is done--is symptomatic of a major societal issue, in my opinion.

It would seem to me that trying to change the behavior of a Lido full of people would be an exercise in extreme frustration. At best.

If hearing the Captain's daily announcement were important to me, especially knowing what time he generally makes it, I would be somewhere that I know I could hear it, and adjust the time I went to lunch.

Acutrallty it is attributed ed to Kazu.

See pOST #35, tHAT might be where the error started. See if you can figure out howw it happened, Sorry, I do not know how it happened, Sorry.

Same thing happened to me earlier in the thread. See post #24 you did the same to me. :D

The error appears to have started in post #15, your post, which has then caused a cascade of incorrectly attributed quotes.

The error perpetuated in this post as well but I cleaned up the quoted bit.

Very easy solution. Captain "Speaking" happens same time each day at sea. Find a quiet place like lounge, Crows Nest or ship that still has a library or in your stateroom. Many options.

I completely agree. It is much more sensible to go somewhere quiet than to expect "Quiet Time" to somehow be enforced in the Lido.

Thank you,,,,,,,,,,, YOU get it. :)

Heck, it is these same boors who won't shut up during the lifeboat drill.

I wouldn't refer to people eating a meal, or ordering food from the buffet, or chatting over their meal, as boors. They are simply having a pleasant time. I definitely would not consider them the boors in this situation.

I guess the solution is to not go to the LIdo until about 12:30. And not only will that give you a chance to find a place to listen to the Captain and the CD, but you will also avoid the mad rush for food that happens around Noon.

Hank

I do not disagree that our society has become rude. But, I think it is a deeper issue than simple rudeness. Our society has become an angry society. Not long in the past, persons of responsibility were respected and our society's actions reflected that respect. Ocean liner/cruise ship Captains were among such persons. People in responsible positions today seem not to be respected frequently.

I won't disagree that many who have been, or are, in responsible positions have earned our society's disrespect. But, there are many others who should be respected and are not.

What we are witnessing in some cruisers' behavior during the "Talk from the Bridge"--whatever time/day it is done--is symptomatic of a major societal issue, in my opinion.

Well put, Teachers do not have the respect we always gave them when we were 'young 'un's... let's not even start int erms of police officers. I grew up being taught the policeman is my friend. If I am in danger or need help other than fire/EMS/ who would any of uscall if there were no police?

Clergy? i don't know to what respect or disrespect they face daily.

It would seem to me that trying to change the behavior of a Lido full of people would be an exercise in extreme frustration. At best.

If hearing the Captain's daily announcement were important to me, especially knowing what time he generally makes it, I would be somewhere that I know I could hear it, and adjust the time I went to lunch.

Definitely an exercise in futility. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk