Captain's Voice from the Bridge, Can people be quie for ten minutes??

sail7seas

I guess the solution is to not go to the LIdo until about 12:30. And not only will that give you a chance to find a place to listen to the Captain and the CD, but you will also avoid the mad rush for food that happens around Noon.

Hank

Exactly :)

I think I found the like button (y)

I am one who also enjoys the captains address. I do not enjoy the maddness of the lido so I'll usually go to the MDR. On my cruises the captain seems to come on around 1. It's pretty hard to adjust your schedule since the MDR is generally only open for an hour these days (on my cruises). Hard to finish in the MDR in an hour due to sometimes slow service. Sometimes people respect the captain and do listen, sometimes not. I guess I should confine myself to my cabin and order room service :rolleyes:.

Heck, it is these same boors who won't shut up during the lifeboat drill.

Society has lost its civility and it is sad. I for one like to hear the captain. Last cruise I was appalled when a mature woman at the front during a muster drill would not stop talking. Two crew ignored her. Finally I shushed her.

After which she proceeded to rip me. The people behind me thanked me. I was very surprised that the crew did not address this as between the fans behind us and her in front it was impossible to hear very important info.

Perhaps it had something todo with liquid refreshments!

On last months' cruise the Captain came on at noon. One time he came on at 12:15. I know this because my mother was getting quite concerned. Carson the Cruise Director immediately followed each update. We enjoyed, and heard, all of the updates.

Society has lost its civility and it is sad. I for one like to hear the captain. Last cruise I was appalled when a mature woman at the front during a muster drill would not stop talking. Two crew ignored her. Finally I shushed her.

After which she proceeded to rip me. The people behind me thanked me. I was very surprised that the crew did not address this as between the fans behind us and her in front it was impossible to hear very important info.

Perhaps it had something todo with liquid refreshments!

Your comment about due to her inability to be silent might be due to "liquid refreshments": my experience on the "Fun Ships", i.e. Carnival Cruises, during Muster Drills has found much more attention and silence being given from the guests to the instructions than I have witnessed on some HAL cruises.

On too many HAL cruises have I heard the Master come on the P.A. during Muster Drill and demand that the assembled guests "shut their mouths" during the Drill.

Has anyone not heard recently "Silence On Deck" coming from the Bridge during the Muster Drill?

I treasured Capt. Darrin's noontime monologue during our Kdam's Trans Atlantic for the fact that he was a fellow Canuck and I could understand every word he said.

His daily pontification's of ancient nautical facts was mind boggling

Did you know our calm ocean crossing of a leisurely 8 days took Christopher Columbus 9 tortuous weeks!!??

Musing Bob

I treasured Capt. Darrin's noontime monologue during our Kdam's Trans Atlantic for the fact that he was a fellow Canuck and I could understand every word he said.

His daily pontification's of ancient nautical facts was mind boggling

Did you know our calm ocean crossing of a leisurely 8 days took Christopher Columbus 9 tortuous weeks!!??

Musing Bob

"Good Morning eh? We have cruised 400 nautical miles since yesterday, eh?" Yep, I can understand that

Hank

We could not hear any announcements in our stateroom on our recent Oosterdam cruise, unless I held the door open.

igraf

Captains daily announcements are broadcast in public areas only, not in staterooms. Only announcements in a stateroom are those of an emergency nature, at least that’s our past experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather than jostle around with everyone trying to get lunch at the Lido, we opted for late lunch at 1PM - lots of tables available, and no long lines at any of the stations. If we ate lunch in the dining room, we always got there around 12:15, that way we were still in our cabin when the Captain's message came on and were able to hear it clearly on our television.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If you really want to hear the Captain's noon announcement, you can always go stand next to the Lido pool. According to another current thread, you can be assured that the music will not drown out the announcement. :D Loud snoring might be a problem but loud music will not be. ;p

I am one who also enjoys the captains address. I do not enjoy the maddness of the lido so I'll usually go to the MDR. On my cruises the captain seems to come on around 1. It's pretty hard to adjust your schedule since the MDR is generally only open for an hour these days (on my cruises). Hard to finish in the MDR in an hour due to sometimes slow service. Sometimes people respect the captain and do listen, sometimes not. I guess I should confine myself to my cabin and order room service :rolleyes:.[/quoteOR, No need for us to have lunch at all. :evilsmile: Choice is we can hear t he Captain's comments or we can have lunch like everyone else on the ship. No need to suggest some people learn a bit of respect or basic manners. Gee, what a concept.

People concerned about not being able to hear the captain can find a better place to listen, AND people can lower their voices for a few minutes. These are not mutually exclusive.

The OP may unfortunately need to adapt to the situation, but lowering expectations to the "lowest common denominator" just isn't right.

Plus, the captain of the ship must be heard, period.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

Yes, g they can choose to have lunch or c they can listen to the Captain. :wink:

AND people can lower their voices for a few minutes. These are not mutually exclusive.

The OP may unfortunately need to adapt to the situation, but lowering expectations to the "lowest common denominator" just isn't right.

Plus, the captain of the ship must be heard, period.

My underline. Best sentence in his whole thread IMO

SAIL, I agree with you totally. I'm still amazed that people refuse to shut up and listen to the captain. It's just as bad in the MDR when he occasionally makes an announcement. It really annoys me to miss what is probably important or he woudn't be talking.

Agreed - it seems that "mob mentality" frequently results in the behavior of people in crowds dropping to the lowest common denominator: the bigger the crowd, the less courteous the behavior.

sail, i agree with you totally. I'm still amazed that people refuse to shut up and listen to the captain. It's just as bad in the mdr when he occasionally makes an announcement. It really annoys me to miss what is probably important or he woudn't be talking.

thank you. :)

It would seem to me that trying to change the behavior of a Lido full of people would be an exercise in extreme frustration. At best.

If hearing the Captain's daily announcement were important to me, especially knowing what time he generally makes it, I would be somewhere that I know I could hear it, and adjust the time I went to lunch.

I'm usually the first person to complain about noise (I could cheerfully throttle my neighbor who thinks noisy home improvement projects should be conducted in his backyard all day long), but I agree. The Lido is noisy to begin with and at noon it's usually jammed with people. I'd find a place I could hear it well and go to lunch when the Lido isn't as busy. In fact, that's generally what I do!

Yes, I am one who also is irritated when those around me continue their conversations, thus preventing me from clearly hearing what the Captain is saying.

I also become irritated when I'm in my stateroom, the Captain begins to speak, and I have to rush to the door and open it in order to hear what he/she says.

On the Koningsdam [first place I could not hear the announcement inside my room] I always seemed to have a group that would meet right at the intersection of the corridor and stop and talk - not quietly - when I would go to my door to hear the talk from the corridor, they very rudely talked even louder. On my 7 day cruise - I heard the Captain only once clearly - what a wasted effort trying to be somewhere quiet.

Has anyone not heard recently "Silence On Deck" coming from the Bridge during the Muster Drill?

Not lately, mostly since they have stopped calling out the numbers. But it could be said more often, if you ask me. Much too noisy for communication and I'd like to get it over with—having to stand in a crowd for more than 20 minutes is unnecessary with the new scanning procedure.