And the new ship will be called.......

lprp

Don't the k so... I think she's platinum on her way to Titanium if she hasn't made it there already.

I beg your pardon...just watched the unveiling and no way would that be appropriate for a silver member...What was i thinking!! ;):rolleyes:

PS...Well done the winners.

They obviously don’t care, but there truly are to many other ships named Splendor, identified with more mass market brands. I guess I’m a little disappointed.

Recently, Viking changed the name of their upcoming ship, from the ok-but-still-better-than-Splendor Viking Spirit, to the unique and I think quite good Viking Orion. I wonder if Regent used one of those fancy branding companies that come up with names for new products. If they didn’t, maybe they should have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jackie Bush is the Seven Seas Society winner. Is that you Travelcat??

Definitely not. I was in favor of names that had to do with U.S. Space Shuttle missions. Have to say that I'm surprised at the negativity regarding the naming of the new ship. Explorer is also a name associated with other cruise ships but, IMO, there is no ship that could be as amazing as the Explorer. Names are just that ...... names. I'm personally hoping that the Splendor will be so popular that it will leave more room for those of us that only want to sail on Explorer!

I think my issue with the name Splendor is the fact that it doesn’t fit in with the other ship names, at least in my mind. The current names all evoke ocean travel to me - a Mariner, a Voyager, a Navigator, an Explorer - Splendor just doesn’t flow with the others. That’s why I cast my vote for Sojourner; to me that continued the travel theme.

Oh well, like Jackie said, it’s only a name.

Definitely not. I was in favor of names that had to do with U.S. Space Shuttle missions. Have to say that I'm surprised at the negativity regarding the naming of the new ship. Explorer is also a name associated with other cruise ships but, IMO, there is no ship that could be as amazing as the Explorer. Names are just that ...... names. I'm personally hoping that the Splendor will be so popular that it will leave more room for those of us that only want to sail on Explorer!

Oh please TC, you know that you will be anxious to sail early on the new ship, you will be posting about how certain design flaws have been fixed on the Splendor and you dislike sailing on any ship other than the Splendor. I look forward to these future posts. Like you, I am not a fan of the Navigator, but I am pleased to sail on any of the other Regent ships.

I think my issue with the name Splendor is the fact that it doesn’t fit in with the other ship names, at least in my mind. The current names all evoke ocean travel to me - a Mariner, a Voyager, a Navigator, an Explorer - Splendor just doesn’t flow with the others. That’s why I cast my vote for Sojourner; to me that continued the travel theme.

Oh well, like Jackie said, it’s only a name.

The question I have is what is the marketing concept behind the name. I agree that the name is not consistent with past names. To me, "splendor" is not a particularly appealing concept as a marketing tool. It seems like an outdated term that might be applied to palaces from centuries ago. Unlike the present Regent ships' names, "splendor" has no concept of adventure.

Splendor seems rooted in the past rather than in the future. It doesn't sound to me like a particularly appealing label for marketing to our current generations or even current travelers with Regent. For example, all the discussion on CC over "casual" dress on Regent hardly seems as if there is a lot of support for "splendor" among current customers.

Also agree it is only a name, and that the name may not carry a lot of significance when people are deciding on a cruise. But I find it interesting as a clue to what management apparently feels is the character of Regent. I would love to know the process by which management came up with this name.

The question I have is what is the marketing concept behind the name. I agree that the name is not consistent with past names. To me, "splendor" is not a particularly appealing concept as a marketing tool. It seems like an outdated term that might be applied to palaces from centuries ago. Unlike the present Regent ships' names, "splendor" has no concept of adventure.

Splendor seems rooted in the past rather than in the future. It doesn't sound to me like a particularly appealing label for marketing to our current generations or even current travelers with Regent. For example, all the discussion on CC over "casual" dress on Regent hardly seems as if there is a lot of support for "splendor" among current customers.

We are curious as to what names you chose as appropriate for the new ship?

Also agree it is only a name, and that the name may not carry a lot of significance when people are deciding on a cruise. But I find it interesting as a clue to what management apparently feels is the character of Regent. I would love to know the process by which management came up with this name.

We think that you have tagged onto some very insightful thoughts. Why did the name HAVE to be only an er/or ending? Referencing the RC ships is an obvious jump. It is only a ship name but not very special.

Just to have a little fun with it...will we soon be calling it the RSSC Spender?

Somehow saying that 'I will be sailing on the Explorer or the Mariner' has a much more compelling appeal that 'I will be sailing on the Splendor'. Disney like perhaps?

Oh well, we are anxious to see when we can book the maiden voyage regardless of her name!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to have a little fun with it...will we soon be calling it the RSSC Spender?

Somehow saying that 'I will be sailing on the Explorer or the Mariner' has a much more compelling appeal that 'I will be sailing on the Splendor'. Disney like perhaps?

My thoughts exactly. With the other ships, it sounds like an adventure. With Splendor it'll sound like elitism.

Really, really bad name. Not that it'll prevent us from sailing on her. Maybe we'll either say that we're sailing on Regent and leave it there, or the Explorer II.

The latter, now that I think about (and probably suggested by many in the naming contest) would also handle how Regent will reconcile that the Explorer in the "most luxurious ship" afloat...until there is the Splendor.

Has anybody seen or heard of a deck plan for the Splendor? Just curious about whether its plan eliminates those "ity bity" category H "suites" like the Explorer has. Now to be honest, We have never cruised the Explorer, but have cruised other ships in 200 square foot "suites" and personally find them too small for more than a few days. Hope the Splendor doesn't have them.