Block Parties: Still Happening?

notjaded

Block parties seem to be a moveable feast; I have a feeling it depends on the Cruise Director to decide if they happen? They have not happened on our last few cruises (thank you), but I don't think there is any way of predicting on which cruises they may occur.

You wouldn’t walk up and down in your bathrobe outside your house with a glass and a cheese straw chatting to passers by.

I would hope not anyway.

Seabourn is very social and friendly so there is no need to degrade yourself by standing in your bathrobe looking disheveled when all you really want to do is get ready and dress for a cocktail and dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are kidding, I hope, about having to wear a bathrobe.

I would never attend for all the reasons outlined above. Most especially the fact that your new hall mates may decide they want to hang out with you and you want them not to. #awkward.

I have met the most lovely people on Seabourn and still stay in touch with a number of them. I met them on my own and didn’t need a block party to do it. Seabourn is not a college dorm.

I am usually getting ready for cocktails and dinner about the time when the dreaded block party is rearing it’s ugly head outside in the corridor.

I have thought about answering the door in my “come as you are attire”

But I don’t want to alarm the neighbours with my suite dress code [emoji15]

I don't know why people get worked up about this sort of thing.

If you don't want to do it then don't do it. If you do then great.

Because it isn't as easy as that. With everyone standing in the hallway if you don't want to participate but are in your room getting ready you have a dilemma. Either stay in the room until people move on or come out to go to another venue and excuse yourself as you walk away. Part of me feels very uncomfortable as it appears unsociable. I am always happy to chat to others elsewhere.

I am one of those people that don't like social chit chat at contrived events. I can do it but I don't like it. At a meet and mingle or Captain's get together I can choose to go or not go. With a Block Party with everyone in the hallway it is harder to avoid. Maybe they could have them at the end of each corridor so it is easier to avoid if you want to.

Just my opinion. Julie

For goodness sake folks. We are talking about 30 minutes of your cruise. If you don’t want to participate then stay in your room or exit the area before the event. It is not a requirement that you be sociable on your cruise. Lighten up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For goodness sake folks. We are talking about 30 minutes of your cruise. If you don’t want to participate then stay in your room or exit the area before the event. It is not a requirement that you be sociable on your cruise. ...

I agree. I've seen people come out of their rooms and walk by smiling, saying they have an early reservation or some such excuse. It's not a serious thing, nor an obligatory thing, at least in my experience.

So Nashna,

So you are "sociable" because you stand around in the corridor making small talk and those who choose to avoid this childish corridor scrum remininscent of day camp activities in the sweaty Rec Hall on a rainy day are not? I mean, if the CD makes annoucements to turn out now and you are there alongside the obviously embarrassed captain and the other "sociables", why isn't everyone else, huh?

Funny how that works for you. And you're suggesting those who dislike it should "stay in their room or exit the area before the event"? It's great to have such directions, just like those in day camp from our new counselor.

Happy and healthy sailing!

For goodness sake folks. We are talking about 30 minutes of your cruise. If you don’t want to participate then stay in your room or exit the area before the event. It is not a requirement that you be sociable on your cruise. Lighten up!

Okay, I'm done. I gave my opinion and stated my feelings which to be honest in forums like this can be confronting. Exactly for this reason, because this leads people to label you unsociable and to be told to lighten up.

People who know me from cruises know I am very sociable.

I hope you enjoy your cruise because on this day it is one of the many things we have to be thankful for.......the chance to travel and see many wondrous things.

Julie

Darn it, wish I could log out but the glitch remains.

We really dislike block parties, dislike the concept and really can’t see the purpose. We are people who always greet others as we pass them in the corridor so would consider ourselves as sociable. We have had bad experiences with these get together. Once we were the only ones who turned up, how sad for the poor crew who really don’t want to be there and the Officers who have to tour the decks. The next time we decided not to go. We were then locked in our room because people congregated outside our door. This group seemed to get on extremely well because they refused to breakup the party. We were stuck inside ,looking through the peep hole to see when it was safe to venture outside. Frankly I consider these “parties” on a par with towel animals, very happy if both disappear

Does anyone know how to log out at present? Not sure if it matters or not, but I got in by this circuitous route and can't get out now.

Block parties do seem to have mostly disappeared - feel fairly sure because most Cruise Directors do not like them, and hopefully the more people who say on here they dislike them the sooner it will happen.

Does anyone know how to log out at present? Not sure if it matters or not, but I got in by this circuitous route and can't get out now.

Block parties do seem to have mostly disappeared - feel fairly sure because most Cruise Directors do not like them, and hopefully the more people who say on here they dislike them the sooner it will happen.

I'm unable to logout, and I can't do a board search either. I've been putting off asking something that I know has already been discussed. I tried searching but it's not working. Last time I asked a question about a previously discussed topic when the search function wasn't working, I had my head bitten off by one poster so I'm wary.

I'll update after my Sojourn cruise about any block party. I haven't cruised with the CD who will be in place on that cruise but by all accounts I've heard from SB friends he does appear to be a particularly lively type of chap (not meant disrespectfully), so if anyone supports them, I suppose he's likely to. We'll see.

Well I think it is perfectly silly that a grown adult comes on a forum like CC and just because someone takes a position opposite theirs they feel they have a right to tell that person to “chill.” And FWISW Frantic is a very sociable person it is just that as do I she find these Hall parties awkward, confining and of little interest. So yes, the only options are remain trapped in your suite, get dressed and out early, or walk through the “party” feeling a bit awkward.

Well I think it is perfectly silly that a grown adult comes on a forum like CC and just because someone takes a position opposite theirs they feel they have a right to tell that person to “chill.” And FWISW Frantic is a very sociable person it is just that as do I she find these Hall parties awkward, confining and of little interest. So yes, the only options are remain trapped in your suite, get dressed and out early, or walk through the “party” feeling a bit awkward.

Very well said.

I would not let a block party keep me from leaving my room and continuing my chosen activities. I might speak to several people while leaving (would not be rude at all) but would still leave if I wanted to.

Exactly.

I would not let a block party keep me from leaving my room and continuing my chosen activities. I might speak to several people while leaving (would not be rude at all) but would still leave if I wanted to.

...The next time we decided not to go. We were then locked in our room because people congregated outside our door. This group seemed to get on extremely well because they refused to breakup the party. We were stuck inside ,looking through the peep hole to see when it was safe to venture outside. Frankly I consider these “parties” on a par with towel animals, very happy if both disappear

Yes, I agree. I would not let mysef be held hostage in my room simply because people were congregated outside it. I would excuse myself and go on my way.

Chairsin,

Well said.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Ps- To Seabourn: Whose idea was it to lift the “block party” nonsense from Regent and foist it on Seabourn passengers who were happy and resourceful enough with making their own plans to meet each other?

Okay, I'm done. I gave my opinion and stated my feelings which to be honest in forums like this can be confronting. Exactly for this reason, because this leads people to label you unsociable and to be told to lighten up.

People who know me from cruises know I am very sociable.

I hope you enjoy your cruise because on this day it is one of the many things we have to be thankful for.......the chance to travel and see many wondrous things.

Julie

Darn it, wish I could log out but the glitch remains.

Julie, I never meant to imply that you were not sociable. My post was simply to offer my opinion that passengers were under no obligation to attend. Cruising offers so many options that there is no reason for anyone to do anything, other than the safety drill, that they do not wish to do.

The level of expressed hostility about Block Parties is truly amazing. I’d expect such a reaction amongst the Taliban, but not seasoned adventurers. I don’t get it, but perhaps I’m not as sophisticated as as some on this board.

Well, there you are. Some people hate Block Parties and some people like them. Seabourn, it would appear, cannot do right for doing wrong.

And, as ever on Cruise Critic, there is no middle ground. Must be nice going through life without having to make any compromises.

I’m not a fan of block parties. I either go to the Observation Bar 10 minutes beforehand or wait the party out inside my suite. An inconvenience but manageable if there are those who enjoy and want to continue with these parties. It’s only once each cruise after all.

Floris