Ft. Lauderdale??? Say it isn't so. LOL

Wine-O

I am.guessing its due to the threat of natural disasters which weighed heavily on the creation on the list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

What a bizarre ‘ranking’. Lumping in threat of natural disasters with violent crime?? Next time I’m in 80 and sunny FLL I don’t think I’ll be fearing for my life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What a bizarre ‘ranking’. Lumping in threat of natural disasters with violent crime?? Next time I’m in 80 and sunny FLL I don’t think I’ll be fearing for my life.

They also included financial security as well as crime. This list is ridiculous to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Having lived there for several years, I’m not one bit surprised. Away from the beaches and the high rise resorts, there’s a big city that’s not so touristy. There are some areas that are right down scary and dangerous, and which the locals wouldn’t dare to even drive through. Even living in nice areas, you still worry about crime.

As far as the possibility of natural disasters, that didn’t really bother me while I live there even though we were hit by a couple of hurricanes. But what did bother me were the ridiculous insurance price hikes that made living there prohibitively expensive.

These days, we are happy with going to Ft. Lauderdale for a day or two pre-cruise and sticking to the touristy areas. But we would never live there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And why not? Look at the recent devastation to people and places due to wildfires in Northern California and the current fire destruction in Ventura County, which has the potential to spread as far south as San Diego. At the bottom line regarding, at least, property "crime," natural disaster is a far more dangerous adversary than someone lifting Christmas packages from your front porch.

Having lived there for several years, I’m not one bit surprised. Away from the beaches and the high rise resorts, there’s a big city that’s not so touristy. There are some areas that are right down scary and dangerous, and which the locals wouldn’t dare to even drive through. Even living in nice areas, you still worry about crime.

As far as the possibility of natural disasters, that didn’t really bother me while I live there even though we were hit by a couple of hurricanes. But what did bother me were the ridiculous insurance price hikes that made living there prohibitively expensive.

These days, we are happy with going to Ft. Lauderdale for a day or two pre-cruise and sticking to the touristy areas. But we would never live there again.

My buddy's brother is a cop in FLL and he agrees with you.

Being from Philly unfortunately we see it all here.:(

Bill

It's like any city. Good and bad areas. But the most unsafe city in America? Absurd. Really, just a stupid article and ranking. It's so unsafe, that all the billionaires park their yachts here.

Now when we had a couple intersections listed as the most unsafe intersections in America... that I believed!

funny enough, a year ago my credit card number was stolen in fort lauderdale and the only place i used it was the card for the check in at the pre cruise hotel...

We have friends who have had their numbers stolen twice at restaurants in fll in the last three years. Now using only cash.

But this problem happens anywhere nowadays.

Some of the cities on the list makes sense in terms of safe cities and others do not IMHO for least safe cities.

I would toss this article in the "Cyber Trash".

Keith

I would certainly agree with the above.

We live adjacent to Nashua, New Hampshire and me darling wife and I worked there for close to forty years. My wife was born in Nashua. The same outfit (Wallethub) ranked Nashua, New Hampshire as the safest city earlier this week. It gave both of us quite a chuckle as there are many parts of the city that I would not venture to in the evening hours. One of my jobs was that of a Nashua hospital emergency room security guard on the third shift during weekends. I saw my share of rape, domestic violence, stabbing, and shooting victims over the years.

We have been to Fort Lauderdale over twenty times, have stayed in many areas and now are snowbirds. We have never felt unsafe there. Are there some places that we avoid at night? Certainly, just like back home.

Every once in a while a new poster will stay at a motel in a shady area, post how great it was, and how great the area is not knowing that they are staying in a really bad area.

They will repost over and over to stay at this motel and it makes me crazy. I'd hate for some family to get robbed at gunpoint because they decided to walk down 84 late at night because of bad suggestions from someone who visits here once a year.

For the most part, anywhere tourists are staying will be safe with a few exceptions.

Listen to the locals.

Edited by BlueHerons

........We have been to Fort Lauderdale over twenty times, have stayed in many areas and now are snowbirds. We have never felt unsafe there. Are there some places that we avoid at night? Certainly, just like back home.

We also have been to Ft. Lauderdale numerous times and never have had any problems.