Has anyone ordered the celebration cake?

goldgirl2

We will be celebrating our 30 year anniversary on our cruise. We are traveling with three of our adult children. I’m thinking about ordering the cake and having it delivered to the dining room to celebrate. Is it worth $25?

Only you can determine if it's "worth it" to you. When we ordered one it was $15 and was large enough to serve 10 people.

I sailed with my 2 best friends in January and 1 was celebrating her birthday so I ordered the $25 chocolate cake from Guest Services to be delivered to our dining table. It was absolutely the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten. For those of you familiar with Portillos restaurant, it tastes just like their choc cake.

We will be celebrating our 30 year anniversary on our cruise. We are traveling with three of our adult children. I’m thinking about ordering the cake and having it delivered to the dining room to celebrate. Is it worth $25?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure about $25, that is on you to decide, but I did order the decorations (including the cake) for my wife for our anniversary cruise earlier this year. It was supposed to be setup when we arrived, but was not there. We got the cake later that day, and had a piece each (it could probably serve 15). It was good, but in the end, when I complained that we did not get what I paid for, they refunded the money.

Since there is so much food on the ship, and so many deserts, I am not sure I would do it again, as it is just not needed, but could easily see others doing it. It was very good cake.

I ordered the cake for my Explorer cruise this past September. What I got was not the cake pictured on the website. What I got was a regular cake with buttercream icing and Happy Birthday written across the top in gel icing. No other adornments like in the picture.

While it tasted good, I didn't think it was worth the $25 they charged, but only because I was expecting what was illustrated.

I didn't complain because it wasn't delivered on the correct day, but two days later. The head waiter was so apologetic and gave us a bottle of wine for the trouble. They bent over backwards for us the whole trip.

But if you want it for a celebration, then by all means, go for it if you think it's worth it. I am not trying to dissuade you, and your experience may be different.

Not sure if it was a celebration cake or not, but I ordered a Gluten Free Birthday Cake to be delivered to the main dining room. It was one of the best gluten free cakes I have ever tasted. So much so, we ordered another one for the last night.

This was on Legend of the Seas a couple of years ago. I ordered it on the ship from Guest services. Cost from memory was around $25 a cake.

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered the cake for my Explorer cruise this past September. What I got was not the cake pictured on the website. What I got was a regular cake with buttercream icing and Happy Birthday written across the top in gel icing. No other adornments like in the picture.

While it tasted good, I didn't think it was worth the $25 they charged, but only because I was expecting what was illustrated.

I didn't complain because it wasn't delivered on the correct day, but two days later. The head waiter was so apologetic and gave us a bottle of wine for the trouble. They bent over backwards for us the whole trip.

But if you want it for a celebration, then by all means, go for it if you think it's worth it. I am not trying to dissuade you, and your experience may be different.

It sounds like you got the kind of cake they used to have, before they changed it on the website. Lucky you. (and hey, you got wine ;) )

This is what I got last year.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...3&postcount=57

I won't order one again. I'm going to try to work something else out for my next birthday cruise. I must have a better cake! ;p

It sounds like you got the kind of cake they used to have, before they changed it on the website. Lucky you. (and hey, you got wine ;) )

This is what I got last year.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...3&postcount=57

I won't order one again. I'm going to try to work something else out for my next birthday cruise. I must have a better cake! ;p

That looks better than the one I got. I think they forgot about me, as my birthday was the day we boarded.

I didn't even get to take a picture of it until it was already cut up.

I almost said something, but really didn't feel like pushing it at the time. I know I could have gone to Guest Services, but as you said, I got wine! :D

Plus they went over and above for us the whole cruise. So it's a small thing, but in retrospect, they should have been told because other people will order it expecting it like the picture.

The cake you had on Serenade was good, though. And I have to say that at least they are tasty even though they don't look like what we ordered.

I remember the first time I ordered a Bon Voyage cake. It was $8.95 and delicious!

I have also ordered the Wine and Cheese tray. It was different on each ship.

Small but nice on Monarch (yes, a LONG time ago) Huge and beautifully plated on Mariner, and disappointing on Serenade. Just a plate of chunks of cheese, where the previous trays had grapes, crackers and a nice selection of cheeses.

I guess it's a case of YMMV.

Thank you for the replies. I think I will go ahead and order it. I just want do something special to celebrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You maybe need to search this here on CC. I saw a thread recently about a celebration cake (don't remember if it was RCI) but it was HORRIBLE what was brought to them. The poster ... posted photos. It was lopsided, UGLY and looked like a box mix cake someone cooked at home. AND they were charged $25 for it.

You maybe need to search this here on CC. I saw a thread recently about a celebration cake (don't remember if it was RCI) but it was HORRIBLE what was brought to them. The poster ... posted photos. It was lopsided, UGLY and looked like a box mix cake someone cooked at home. AND they were charged $25 for it.

I remember that, and I thought maybe this had something to do with that post. If that cake, that was in that post, was the norm, then there is NO WAY it is worth $25. Maybe $5, and that would be a stretch.

From what I am reading, what that poster experienced was an anomaly and generally not the way it goes. The cakes are delicious. I personally wouldn't pass because of a couple of reported problems. We've ordered cake onboard in the past and was very pleased, much better than any cake on their dessert trays. . But who knows...

2016 Oasis cruise, our TA register on special events our 31 anniversary. We dinner at MDR, before desserts, several waiters uncover the cake and begin to sing Happy Anniversary song.

Also happen on a Cruise we was celebrating the 15 BD of my daughter.

For our next cruise also I have register the event on my booking.

No extra cost.