Whats with all the Can I Make a ---Flight before the ship docks ---questions lately

myfuzzy

OK, This is a rant....everyday I see at least one if not more people ask if they can get a flight --the latest 7:45 am if the ship docks at 6. With multiple pages EACH thread with the answers of NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, ARE YOU CRAZY, well you get the point..And the threads are on every cruise line, or port of call. Knowing full well the events of the past, we all need to be aware of things we have to do regarding security into the U.S. and going into the airports. A lot of times...things happen to delay us. Use common sense....If you need to be at work at 8 am the day of embarkation, you may need to reconsider your plans..you spend $$$$'s on a cruise, a few more $$'s for a hotel overnight then get your flight the next day. Why stress yourselves out over getting right home. Unless the cruise lines offer door to door service, we are all at taking a chance of a few hiccups in our plans....

Maybe there should be one section of CC that only answers that question.....once and for all....Example ship docks at 6..flights between 6 & 7 most likely NOT, 7-8 minor possibility, 9-10 could be possible, 10 -11 good possibility and so on......

Thank you for listening....rant over

Because people don't look to see if a question has been asked before?

Because the airfare was cheapest at 7:45 am, and money drives all decisions and over powers commonsense?

I hear ya!

The real kicker is that everyone who asks that question already knows that the answer is "no."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The airlines have learned when cruise ships come in and make sure the flights at reasonable times are higher than those early morning ones. If you have a large group of people, it’s hard not to try and save and make one of those cheaper early flights.

Fellow posters....you made me feel better....thanks

I'm the odd man out.

I don't understand why folks choose to enter discussions that they already KNOW they aren't interested in reading, and then clutter the forum by starting another discussion on the same topic for the purpose of whining about the first discussion. :rolleyes:

At least the first discussion was legitimate cruise question.

Barry

I'm the odd man out.

I don't understand why folks choose to enter discussions that they already KNOW they aren't interested in reading, and then clutter the forum by starting another discussion on the same topic for the purpose of whining about the first discussion. :rolleyes:

Barry

This.

The same handful of topics have been discussed ad nauseum on Cruise Critic for years and years. Its no one's fault. Some folks are not well traveled, maybe flying and cruising for the first time new to Cruise Critic. The "search" function is only marginally helpful. No biggie. Any topics I don't care for (tipping, which cruise line is "best", loyalty perks etc.) I skip. Really simple.

The reason of my point is that lately there seems to be an abundance of the same "can I". IF someone is new or not sure of an answer, just scan the "new posts" and the question would probably be within the first 3 pages, current info. Funny, It took me years and YEARS of being of member of CC to figure out how to make a new thread, meanwhile, new posters with one post have figured out how to make a new thread right away.

A few things comments.

The answer varies by city, day of week, number of ships in port, cruise line/ship and even changes from time to time if there are travel alerts.

Better that at least people ask before they book the flight then after.

The reality is that there are a number of questions that are asked on a daily or at least a frequent basis such as what hotels to stay at etc.

With that said, no one is compelled to answer someone's question and there always seems to be a few who will lend a helping hand.

Life is short.

Not worth getting stressed out about these things.

Happy Cruising.

Keith

Had to smile at the OP's rant. We have a different take on the disembarkation issue. Since we are paying for a cruise we like to enjoy it as long as possible. If possible we do not book early flights and prefer to fly out in the early to mid-afternoon. On that last cruise morning we are not jumping out of bed at 6am,,,,not rushing around like chickens without heads, not rushing through a quick breakfast, not lugging our own luggage off the ship, and not dealing with crowds.

What we normally do is eat a relaxing breakfast towards the end of the dining time (unless on HAL where we can order room service). After a relaxing breakfast we get our carry-off luggage and generally find a comfy lounger on the pool deck (weather permitting) where we sit with our Kindles, some coffee, and perhaps a mimosa (or two) if its available. Around 9:30, when just about everyone is off the ship we simply hop in an elevator (easy to get at that time) and then stroll off the ship. In the terminal our luggage is waiting (and very easy to find since there are very few pieces remaining) and we then walk right through Passport control and out where we either grab a taxi or summon Uber. We have done express walk-offs when its absolutely necessary, but prefer to enjoy the last few hours rather than turn it into a race off the ship.

Hank

This.

The same handful of topics have been discussed ad nauseum on Cruise Critic for years and years. Its no one's fault. Some folks are not well traveled, maybe flying and cruising for the first time new to Cruise Critic. The "search" function is only marginally helpful. No biggie. Any topics I don't care for (tipping, which cruise line is "best", loyalty perks etc.) I skip. Really simple.

Learning how to make Boolean inquiries on a search engine is not exactly rocket science.

Hiltner....I totally agree with you, that's what we do. Isn't it nice not having to plow through thousands of suitcases looking for ours, just a scan of the area, and there they are....nice leisurely breakfast, can't beat it.

But, getting back to the original post, WHY do people have to ask "our" opinion, on what flights they book. It doesn't matter to us. IF you find a flight that's your price, time you want, for heavens sake...book it. IF you make it, you make it, IF you don't then have plans B and maybe even C ready.

People ask for a reassurance. And yes is they don't like the answer some might keep asking hoping that someone says yes.

Sort of like the question can I make the ship if I fly in the day of the cruise.

Personally I do not like stress.

We don't rush off the ship. Why do that? We want to end our cruise on the high note.

I arrive to airports way earlier then needed and I have Global Entry.

I would sooner stay over a night and fly home the next day then get stressed out.

When I worked and we always flew in the day or more before. Now it is usually a few days before.

I don't go with legal connections for flights. I like a lot of buffer.

I am also a believer in Murphy's Law.

Back to the original post, I have always viewed Cruise Critic as a great opportunity to learn from others (and I have over the years) but also an opportunity to help others with questions and that includes avoiding mistakes.

Happy New Year.

Keith

The real kicker is that everyone who asks that question already knows that the answer is "no."

Except it’s not always, I guarantee that for every thread asking that, there will be at least a couple of people saying, “Yeah, I did that and it was absolutely fine. I made the flight with two minutes to spare!” People can and do read the times that the cruise lines advise, but they want to chance it anyway. I don’t read those threads very often - I worry too much about those people missing their flights!

My similar pet peeve is on the destinations threads. There will always be someone saying “Can I do Rome, Venice and Florence in the same day, and throw in a tour of the Vatican and a hike up Vesuvius if I skip lunch?” And most people say “No, it won’t be any fun”, but someone always answers with “Yeah, I did that and it was the best excursion of my whole cruise!” :D:D

As you can see, I have been a member of CC for a long time, and YES, I have learned and used a lot of the "tricks of the trade" from here. My all time favorite is using a large trash bag to put into my suitcase, then putting my cloths in it and twist tying it shut, clean, fresh, and DRY cloths if inclement weather, and use bags accordingly on the way home..wrap souvenirs, laundry.

But sometimes now, I think great information is getting lost in the repetitious threads on the same old topics over and over

I'm the odd man out.

I don't understand why folks choose to enter discussions that they already KNOW they aren't interested in reading, and then clutter the forum by starting another discussion on the same topic for the purpose of whining about the first discussion.

Barry

I'm with you on this one, Barry.

Thee and me versus the rest :D

I've not noticed a recent plethora of questions on the subject, I rate it as a bit of a year-round staple, especially on the ports-of-call boards.

Can't have a forum on the subject, it suits the ports-of-call boards - not all cruises end in Miami. ;)

And advice varies depending on time of day, day-of-the-week, time of year, means of transportation and a host of other factors.

Can't put in a "stoopid questions" forum cos sometimes they're not.

Yes, I've seen truly optimistic times asked - they don't need advice, they need a miracle. :rolleyes:

But I've also been able to reassure folk that their plans are sensible.

One problem with asking others is that most of us tend to be ultra-conservative in our advice..

I just might take a risk myself - I'm OK with "my own silly fault".

But I won't suggest the same to others -. "I got screwed up by John Bull's advice" isn't OK

To fuzzy, Hank & others.

I take the same view.

Why rush?

If the only suitable flight is a bit early, I'll book that flight for next day. Mebbe even next week.

But some of those poor souls work for a living, and we need to make sure they keep their noses to the grindstone to pay for our pension payments. ;p

If they gotta be back at their desks Monday, then so be it.

As long as it's feasible. Which, getting back to fuzzie's point, ain't always the case. :D

BTW the best value airfares tend to be at daft o'clock, while even the songbirds are in the land of nod and long before a ship reaches its turnaround port.

So I suspect that other factors are the reasons for optimistically-early flight plans.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

I'm the odd man out.

Barry

Then there are those who triple-down by posting a rant about posters who choose to enter discussions on matters about which they have no interest - apparently only to whine about those who whine about that first discussion.

BTW the best value airfares tend to be at daft o'clock, while even the songbirds are in the land of nod and long before a ship reaches its turnaround port.

So I suspect that other factors are the reasons for optimistically-early flight plans.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

And, it is worth noting that, not only are those "daft o'clock" flights so much better value that the savings on fare will more than pay for your hotel for the night before, they will get you home at a comfortable early hour.

I'm the odd man out.

Barry

Have to wonder don’t you.

The reason of my point is that lately there seems to be an abundance of the same "can I". IF someone is new or not sure of an answer, just scan the "new posts" and the question would probably be within the first 3 pages, current info. Funny, It took me years and YEARS of being of member of CC to figure out how to make a new thread, meanwhile, new posters with one post have figured out how to make a new thread right away.

Interesting. I don't follow your comment about someone new to CC starting a thread. If someone new can't start a thread, how can they ask a question? Doesn't make sense.