Barcelona

LauraJH7788

You can also read about hotels and things to see/do on the Barcelona forum of Trip Advisor which is the sister site to this one about land vacations.

My favorite area to stay in Barcelona is north of the touristy "Las Ramblas" neighborhood in the area near Rambla de Catalunya on this map:

https://goo.gl/maps/17S9BMhqQn72

There is an express bus from the airport that drops at Plaza de Catalunya.

I have stayed twice near the Hotel Onix Catalunya for land trips.

Here is a link to the Barcelona forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187497-i44-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

You can read all the info without joining and posting if you prefer.

We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar Barcelona. It is just across the street from a large mall, and there is a sea view. They gave us the royal treatment. You can get a HOHO bus just across the street, and can purchase your tickets from the hotel desk. Not sure if they still have rooms available, but I would highly recommend it. We loved Barcelona and hope to go back. We wanted to do the April cruise on the Horizon, but have another long cruise booked soon so will put it off for another time.

We are sailing on Horizon April 2018 out of Barcelona and flying in 2 days early. Any advice on hotels and “must see’s”?

We've stayed at the Hotel Jazz several times and have found it conveniently located, very clean, and reasonably priced.

Our home away from home, when in Barcelona, is always the Hotel Colon. Its located right in the heart of the Gothic Quarter and has a very old European kind of style. Across the street is the Cathedral, and the rooms with a Cathedral view are the most popular (and expensive).

Hank

I too like Hotel Colon, but can also recommend (if you are looking for more of a boutique hotel) the H10 Raco del Pi hotel -- nice location in the heart of the Barri Gotic but only a couple of blocks from Las Ramblas.

I really enjoyed seeking out the Roman remnants of the old city, particularly the city museum behind the old cathedral. Also I can recommend the Miro museum (and slightly less so, the Picasso museum). If you like Gaudi architecture, visit La Pedrera (Casa Mila) -- it has a nice little museum on the top floor explaining his architectural techniques and you can also go out on the rooftop terrace there.

I too like Hotel Colon, but can also recommend (if you are looking for more of a boutique hotel) the H10 Raco del Pi hotel -- nice location in the heart of the Barri Gotic but only a couple of blocks from Las Ramblas.

I really enjoyed seeking out the Roman remnants of the old city, particularly the city museum behind the old cathedral. Also I can recommend the Miro museum (and slightly less so, the Picasso museum). If you like Gaudi architecture, visit La Pedrera (Casa Mila) -- it has a nice little museum on the top floor explaining his architectural techniques and you can also go out on the rooftop terrace there.

Have long been a fan of your posts, but we do disagree when it comes to Miro :). DW and I have never admired his work but must admit that the art world has done a great job promoting his art. A few years (actually decades) ago we went over the the Maeght Foundation (near St Paul de Vence) and we saw a very large Miro tapestry. I was a large white canvas with what appeared to be a single pencil line drawn across the canvas. We could not help thinking that our DD had done better then that when she was about 10 (and won an award at an art show). But Miro had the name and that canvas is worth millions. When in Barcelona we prefer anything named Gaudi. LOL. We do agree on the Picasso Museum.

Hank

Have long been a fan of your posts, but we do disagree when it comes to Miro :). DW and I have never admired his work but must admit that the art world has done a great job promoting his art. A few years (actually decades) ago we went over the the Maeght Foundation (near St Paul de Vence) and we saw a very large Miro tapestry. I was a large white canvas with what appeared to be a single pencil line drawn across the canvas. We could not help thinking that our DD had done better then that when she was about 10 (and won an award at an art show). But Miro had the name and that canvas is worth millions. When in Barcelona we prefer anything named Gaudi. LOL. We do agree on the Picasso Museum.

Hank

LOL Hank. I have to say that I also was never much of a fan of Miro until I visited his museum in Barcelona (which he helped design). They have an excellent audioguide and it really helped me to appreciate the art.

Hotel Colon is one I would recommend as well.

Give yourself time while you are there to just walk around and as I like to say smell the roses. In other words walk some of the areas slowly and look around and enjoy all that is around you. I love the architecture of many of the buildings.

Keith

Barcelona has 10 districts (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Districtes_de_Barcelona.svg) divided into 73 neighbourhoods (http://monbarcino.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/barris_bcn.jpg). While there are plenty of good locations in the city, it all boils down to (1) what your interests are and (2) what sort of "ambience" you're looking for. Safety-wise there are no "no-go" areas albeit some neighbourhoods have more appealing than others, of course.

Check an old post of mine for some suggestions: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7501495-Advice_on_where_to_stay_in_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58674908

As per location, Barcelona is a medium-sized city (40 sq miles) with excellent public transportation (bus/metro/tramway) which is efficient, fast, cheap, clean and safe -and which is used by most of the residents, so there's little reason for specifically staying here or there. Pretty much anywhere you choose will not be a problem to quickly move from one end to the other. If anything, know that the frontier area between the districts of Ciutat Vella and Eixample is considered to be the "centre"... not that it matters much though, as tourist attractions are spread all over the city.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz after so many good reviews on here. It was very well located, but it was merely ok in terms of quality IMHO. The air ducts must have been dirty because the A/C made me cough. Definitely stay close to Las Ramblas, so you can walk most places. The taxi system was satisfactory; we were able to pay by CC most times. Barcelona is a great city to visit!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been to Barcelona but researched Hotel Europark it is in a great location but i will post our spreadsheet www.cruisingeverywhere.com/

there you can see all the Hotels cruisers will be staying

I’m not on the TA cruise. Is your link restricted to those passengers? I’m trying to get an idea as to hotels for a round trip Barcelona cruise. My first solo and looking for something nice and safe

@monbeck34, can't help you with specific hotels -I live here, so I have no need for hotels!- but I can mention that the concept "safety" doesn't really apply in Barcelona as the whole city is "safe", we have no gun or gang problems here. This, of course, is not to say there's no crime, after all, it's a city with 2 million inhabitants, but the sort of crime you might encounter is non-life threatening -if you catch my drift. In fact, pickpockets (and the odd mugging) is probably your "worst" potential encounter here. Having said that, there are, of course, areas with more appeal than others :)... for that, this is my suggestion: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7501495-Advice_on_where_to_stay_in_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58674908

Enjoy

@monbeck34, can't help you with specific hotels -I live here, so I have no need for hotels!- but I can mention that the concept "safety" doesn't really apply in Barcelona as the whole city is "safe", we have no gun or gang problems here. This, of course, is not to say there's no crime, after all, it's a city with 2 million inhabitants, but the sort of crime you might encounter is non-life threatening -if you catch my drift. In fact, pickpockets (and the odd mugging) is probably your "worst" potential encounter here. Having said that, there are, of course, areas with more appeal than others :)... for that, this is my suggestion: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7501495-Advice_on_where_to_stay_in_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58674908

Enjoy

I was concerned given the recent unrest regarding the quest for independence. Thanks for the link

I’m not on the TA cruise. Is your link restricted to those passengers? I’m trying to get an idea as to hotels for a round trip Barcelona cruise. My first solo and looking for something nice and safe

you just want to see the hotels some are staying at to get a idea where to stay and safe

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it... most hotels DO NOT provide any private transfer because moving about in Barcelona is so easy and cheap, be by public transportation (bus, metro, tramway, train) be by taxi, which is also efficient and inexpensive.