Secure Internet - Oasis?

How secure is the internet on Oasis ?

Not secure at all. Any security you need must be imposed between the device you are using and the service with which you will be communicating.

I recommend using a VPN if security is a concern.

+1

Having an "unsecured" wifi network, such as in the ship, only allows anyone to sniff on your traffic in your surroundings. Sounds bad, but it isn't really. Even with a "secured" wifi network, if the website you're browsing doesn't use an encrypted connection, you simply cannot assume it's secure since the data is traveling through the whole internet in plain text, passwords included.

• 2 months later...
I'm searching for a VPN service for my MacBook Pro. Any suggestions? Anyone to avoid?

My business VPN has been blocked on our last two cruises. The IT managers say it's a Miami thing they cannot change. Maybe you will have better luck.

You want a VPN provider that offers multiple protocols (OpenVPN, IPSec, PPTP, etc). The issue that some have onboard is that the cruiseline will block certain ports that a VPN protocol uses, so if your service provider only uses one protocol and the ship blocks that port you are out of luck. Choosing one that offers multiple solutions is best.

You also want one that offers servers around the world, the longer your info has to travel the slower it gets, so being able to connect to a server close to you will help with the inevitable slow down in speed that any VPN will cause.

Google search will offer many reputable sites that review VPN services. IMO choose one you pay for vs the free ones, they often have stronger privacy policies and offer better service. Remember all your information is being passed through that company, so picking one that is trustworthy is very important.

About the same as any other public WiFi.

Definitely not. There are many public wifi (especially around cruise ship ports) whose purpose is to steal information. And people are dumb enough to use them. The internet on the ship is just unsecure.