Visitors from non-YC area to YC

windlicht

Hi!

So, we have booked a suite in the YC this year, our first time, and we found out that friends of ours will be on the same cruise. Can anyone tell me what the MSC policy is on visitors? Can they visit us in the YC or is that prohibited?

Thanks! :D

There is a video on youtube where two women are having tea in the YC dining area in the afternoon. The youtuber says they're not staying in the yacht club but are there as a guest of the other lady having tea with her. Somewhere else I saw someone had said there's a charge to have someone visit you in the YC of $30 where they also stated they'd eaten in the YC dining room so I am guessing they charge you to have a guest eat there with you.

And of course there is never a problem with you visiting your friends in any other part of the ship. Problem solved.

I think bringing guests to your cabin is no problem, but having them hang out all day in the YC private areas and pool is not cool. People are paying extra for that exclusivity after all.

Edited by eroller

And of course there is never a problem with you visiting your friends in any other part of the ship. Problem solved.

True ... but I am treating myself to the yacht club experience and would therefore spent time there.

True ... but I am treating myself to the yacht club experience and would therefore spent time there.

Yes, you are treating yourself which is great. Your friends are not.

I'm treating myself to the YC in a couple weeks as well. I'll be very disappointed if the lounge, pool, restaurant, and private deck are filled up with "day visitors". That sort of defeats the entire purpose of booking the YC to begin with.

I stand by my statement that you can bring guests to your cabin ONLY.

I don't know about that video, when it was filmed or what ship it was on. However, I recall reading a few threads here that state no guests are allowed in the public areas of the Yacht Club and that the butlers and other staff recognize who is a guest in the YC pretty quickly.

You wouldn't want your guests to be embarrassed, would you?

I have no problem with friends visiting in the suite.

Even if they spend the night, it's not a problem, IMO.

Absolutely. Your YC suite is your private domain. By all means have as many guests in it as you want, and spend the night on the floor for all I care. My issue is with the private common areas that all the YC guests share, and essentially paid for.

Yes, you are treating yourself which is great. Your friends are not.

I'm treating myself to the YC in a couple weeks as well. I'll be very disappointed if the lounge, pool, restaurant, and private deck are filled up with "day visitors". That sort of defeats the entire purpose of booking the YC to begin with.

This kind of makes me laugh and seems kind of snobbish. Do you plan on carding everyone in the yc area to make sure they paid for yc and meet your approval? As for me I'll stay in steerage so as not to offend any of you elite. Sorry but that really is the way this is coming across.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

This kind of makes me laugh and seems kind of snobbish. Do you plan on carding everyone in the yc area to make sure they paid for yc and meet your approval? As for me I'll stay in steerage so as not to offend any of you elite. Sorry but that really is the way this is coming across.

Actually the YC is key card access only so essentially yes people are being carded before they can enter. So I'm off hook. Sorry if it sounds snobbish. I'm in "steerage" as you call it 99.99% of the time I cruise, and I wouldn't dream of intruding on the guests in the YC. I know they paid extra for the exclusivity that MSC advertises, and I respect that.

For my cruise in a couple weeks we splurged and booked a YC cabin. So yes I expect extra space, separation from the masses whenever we choose, and a more polished experience. I make no apologies for that and I'm paying for it. This is exactly what MSC promotes. If anyone can just wonder into the YC and spend the day, then why am I paying extra for this experience?

The ship within a ship concept is alive and well, and yes it's a class system just like airlines have first class and coach. It is what it is. If you don't like the idea or it bothers you, there are plenty of ships and lines out there that don't offer the ship within a ship concept. It's very popular though, as you get the best of both worlds. Access to everything the ship has to offer, and the ability to escape the crowds to your private enclave whenever you choose. You can expect to see more and more of it as new ships are delivered. I've only ever enjoyed this type of experience one other time, with The Haven on NCL. It was quite nice and I'm looking forward to it on SEASIDE.

Thank you all for your replies!

Yes, I can see how other YC passengers would be bothered, if I brought friends to the public areas. I can totally see your point! However, I also wish to point out that even if every YC guest brought a friend, it wouldn't be any worse. It would not by any means be crowded ... non-members are still capable of showing proper manners. ;)

As I said, I see your point. You want a quiet, restful, classy experience for which you paid a considerable amount of money and others did not. Why should they be able to take advantage of the same privilege?

As for my suite... I hope you're right that my teenage son will at least be allowed to have his best friend over for a while. He won't mind leaving the YC anyway... As for me.... I guess I'll have to see.

I love that so many of you responded so quickly! Thank you!

More like whiny envy. If you go to a restaurant with a friend who orders a filet mignon should that entitle you to get one as well even though you are paying the hamburger price?

Why do you think that people who pay a lot of money for something are snobs because they want what they paid for? And are not thrilled at having what they paid for diminished on behalf of people who didn't pay for it.

LOL. I am definitely not a member of any elite. Just treating myself because I can. Usually I go "steerage," as well. The YC is kind of small in comparison, so I am sure the staff know who belongs there and who doesn't... no carding required, except to gain access in the first place.

According to "Titanic," steerage is more fun, if that's what you're looking for. I'm going for classy (snobby?) and quiet this time. I love that you called us out though! Enjoy your cruise. :)

Hi!

So, we have booked a suite in the YC this year, our first time, and we found out that friends of ours will be on the same cruise. Can anyone tell me what the MSC policy is on visitors? Can they visit us in the YC or is that prohibited?

Thanks! :D

Go visit them in there area.

No it really as no effect on me.

"If you don't like the idea or it bothers you, there are plenty of ships and lines out there that don't offer the ship within a ship concept."

But this comment is what I meant. Because you don't like my response I can go else where? Come on now that remark is just a tad childish. I am not interested in the YC experience as it will be our first MSC cruise and I wouldn't put out the extra on a line we are just trying out. Later if we enjoy it we might try YC. On RCI We did enjoy the perks of a Grand Suite ( ie. Reserved seating , reserved pool area...).

Enjoy your cruise...I hope no one gets in your way.

More like whiny envy. If you go to a restaurant with a friend who orders a filet mignon should that entitle you to get one as well even though you are paying the hamburger price?

Why do you think that people who pay a lot of money for something are snobs because they want what they paid for? And are not thrilled at having what they paid for diminished on behalf of people who didn't pay for it.

True! Good point! You're absolutely right!

LOL. I am definitely not a member of any elite. Just treating myself because I can. Usually I go "steerage," as well. The YC is kind of small in comparison, so I am sure the staff know who belongs there and who doesn't... no carding required, except to gain access in the first place.

According to "Titanic," steerage is more fun, if that's what you're looking for. I'm going for classy (snobby?) and quiet this time. I love that you called us out though! Enjoy your cruise. :)

Well, if you're going to use Titanic as an example, should I point out just how many times that Jack, despite being in steerage, was a guest in the first class areas of the ship?

Because you don't like my response I can go else where? Come on now that remark is just a tad childish.

Wow I take the time to completely explain my viewpoint in response to your rather childish remark, and this is what you choose to focus on?

I give up.

Enjoy your cruise, and I hope no one gets in your way either. I'm guessing it wouldn't be pleasant.

Haha not calling anyone out. I just think it's funny how sometimes we ( people of CC) can sometimes get a bit carried away. Its a cruise and we go on like it's some elite club. My DH would love the YC he has this thing about being treated like a King. I get a bit embarrassed with too much attention. I guess because I'm use to waiting on everyone else ( cooking, cleaning...). We're taking our daughter's this time so we're just trying it out. They got a fantastica inside and we got a fantastica suite. If we like MSC then when it's just he and I we can try YC.

Well, if you're going to use Titanic as an example, should I point out just how many times that Jack, despite being in steerage, was a guest in the first class areas of the ship?

This is true, but in the end he couldn't get in the door.

Absolutely. Your YC suite is your private domain. By all means have as many guests in it as you want, and spend the night on the floor for all I care.
I could have my guests spread out on the cool marble floor of my YIN cabin...wait a minute, that's only in the HC version with the matching marble vanity.:confused: