Family claims Norwegian Cruise employee sexually assaulted 12-year-old daughter

DaytonCruiser

this is why it is always best to use the deadbolt to double lock your door.

I was under the impression that those weren't really "deadbolts" in the true sense of it and that they could be opened by appropriate personnel from the outside. (I think they'd have to be able to do that in the event of an emergency).

How do you know NCL isn't trying to settle. Suit was just filed. The amount asked for is a jurisdictional pleading amount, and what it says is an amount not less than X number of $.

Next time read the full article...See below for quotes from that article supporting my comment!!

Hickey further stated that, since the NCL has known about this case since February 2017, they've had ample time to reach out and try to rectify the family's compaint.

"We have given [Norwegian Cruise Line] notice, so they’ve had every opportunity to reach out and see what it was that would satisfy this claim," added Hickey.

Do you know if the children program staff has had a background check?

Yes, they are vetted. On NCL, the children's program counselors are hired by the King's Foundation, a UK-based registered charity that also provides children's programs for the US military bases located outside of the country. Royal Caribbean, P&O, MSC, and Carnival also use the same organization. The cruise lines do their own background checks, and any foreign seaman that sails into a US port is investigated by the State Department (US Embassy in their country) in order to get their seaman's visa, according to this article by Cruise Critic.

I don't know to what extent NCL goes in regards to background checks for cabin stewards.

lol I dont trust juries to do the right thing at all. I've been on juries and during deliberations other jurors said they would NOT ever convict anyone of their own ethnicity or race period. Preponderance of evidence proving guilt was presented...nice isn't it?

The situation I was in fortunately never needed a verdict...the defendant took a plea shortly after we went out to deliberate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really? I would have called for a bailiff and told them on a lunch break, that is grounds for replacing that jury member or a mistrial altogether though in your case you didn’t need to.

I was under the impression that those weren't really "deadbolts" in the true sense of it and that they could be opened by appropriate personnel from the outside. (I think they'd have to be able to do that in the event of an emergency).

There are only a certain number of "master keycards" that are kept in the HD's safe and given out during drills and emergencies to check cabins. Cabin stewards and the other front line staff do not have key cards that override the dead bolt. There will also be about 5-6 "hard keys" (metal) that override the entire electronic lock and deadbolt, and these are entrusted to Captain, Staff Captain, Staff Chief Engineer, HD, and Chief Security Officer.

Yes, they are vetted. On NCL, the children's program counselors are hired by the King's Foundation, a UK-based registered charity that also provides children's programs for the US military bases located outside of the country. Royal Caribbean, P&O, MSC, and Carnival also use the same organization. The cruise lines do their own background checks, and any foreign seaman that sails into a US port is investigated by the State Department (US Embassy in their country) in order to get their seaman's visa, according to this article by Cruise Critic.

I don't know to what extent NCL goes in regards to background checks for cabin stewards.

However, these background checks are only as good as the legal system in the home country is, and on how good the records of the local law enforcement in the home country are. This is why the kid's staff come from countries (UK, Canada, US) that have sophisticated, centralized, and digital criminal data bases.

lol I dont trust juries to do the right thing at all. I've been on juries and during deliberations other jurors said they would NOT ever convict anyone of their own ethnicity or race period. Preponderance of evidence proving guilt was presented...nice isn't it?

The situation I was in fortunately never needed a verdict...the defendant took a plea shortly after we went out to deliberate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know what you mean.I was on a federal case a few years ago> the guy was as guilty as anyone could be but we had a hung jury. One juror admitted to not being able to vote guilty because she knew how cops treated minorities and she didn't like them at all.. Nothing we could do to change her mind. Later, I learned the guy was retried. The worse part, look at what a trial costs and we, as tax payers are paying for it. I believe in our systerm, but when the evidence is "in your face" and for personal reasons a verdict can not be reached the system has failed us.

Next time read the full article...See below for quotes from that article supporting my comment!!

Hickey further stated that, since the NCL has known about this case since February 2017, they've had ample time to reach out and try to rectify the family's compaint.

"We have given [Norwegian Cruise Line] notice, so they’ve had every opportunity to reach out and see what it was that would satisfy this claim," added Hickey.

That is still only one side of the story. Each side may be drastically apart in their perceived level of responsibility.

Such a sad situation all around. The only two people who know what really happened (or didn't) are the girl and the NCL employee. I think cruise ships are really no different than a hotel or a mall or whatever large public place, you must keep an eye on your kids. I cringe when I see preteens roaming the ship alone, heck even kids as young as six or seven. That being said, I'm sure the girl was presumed ok being alone in her cabin. When we were on the NCL Spirit a few summers ago, my 13 year old son wanted to stay in our cabin to watch World Cup soccer while the rest of us went to a show. Our steward came during that time to turn down the beds and my son said he was really nice and watched some of the game with him as he worked. I'm sure this is what happens 99 percent of the time when stewards are in a cabin with a minor who is alone. However, there is that small percent of a chance that something could happen...and anywhere, not just on a cruise ship. This story, true or not, has definitely made me more aware.

Good Lord I would hope so but its sad..I'm not really sure. The girls I saw in the kids camp looked very young..my husband laughed at me because I did ask one of them how old they were..she was very sweet and laughed and assured me she was an adult. My daughter just wasn't into the kids camps. We're very fortunate that our daughter still thinks were cool and likes to hang out with us. I'm also very fortunate that when we cruise its usually with one of our parents. So we still do have an opportunity to go on a "date night." I have friends that love the camps and their kids love the camps. So much so that the kids get sad when they have to hang out with the parents..lol. This last cruise we went on though it was crazy the amount of young teens were off in corners after dark making out and stuff. I just asked my daughter to never be that girl..that kinda freaked me out..lol

Sent from my LG-K550 using Forums mobile app

I am surprised when I see other teens doing their own thing too.

good to know that there is at least some filter.

This thread raises some questions that I haven't seen asked, so here they are.

Since the accused was found not guilty, is he back to work for NCL?

Is he allowed to go to work for NCL or another line?

Can he be required to be in the USA for the civil case?

1. Probably not, as this would be, by his own statement, a violation of crew conduct.

2. Most likely not with NCL again, but possible with other lines

3. Nope.

1. Probably not, as this would be, by his own statement, a violation of crew conduct.

2. Most likely not with NCL again, but possible with other lines

3. Nope.

It is not pleasant to think that this,guy could be free to commit the,same acts on another child because our court system is not accepting a confession from him. Disgusting!!!

It is not pleasant to think that this,guy could be free to commit the,same acts on another child because our court system is not accepting a confession from him. Disgusting!!!

You have no idea of the context or the full statement. The jury did and found him not guilty.

Why isn't the criminal case in any news story I can find, or online at all? I would think there would be at least one news story from when the employee was allegedly taken into custody and held for trial. I can't find anything on it.

I'm interested to see if the FBI is the cause of the not guilty verdict with their usual arrogant position that they don't testify in state matters.

This thread raises some questions that I haven't seen asked, so here they are.

Since the accused was found not guilty, is he back to work for NCL?

Is he allowed to go to work for NCL or another line?

Can he be required to be in the USA for the civil case?

that is a good question. It crossed my mind as well, but I have a gut feeling we will never have the answer.

Now, I think it is a good idea for all of us to remember, at this stage unless the civil case goes differently the guy is not guilty. None of us really know what happened. We are all speculating.

that is a good question. It crossed my mind as well, but I have a gut feeling we will never have the answer.

Now, I think it is a good idea for all of us to remember, at this stage unless the civil case goes differently the guy is not guilty. None of us really know what happened. We are all speculating.

Since the civil suit is against NCL, not the crew member, regardless of the outcome of the civil suit, the crew member is still not guilty. Besides, in a civil suit, there is no "guilt" or "innocence", just "liable" or "not liable".

I’m surprised that an affidavit was admissible at trial; nevertheless, my understanding (I’m no lawyer) is that inappropriate touching and rape are generally different offenses.

Touching a girl's or woman's bum or breast or ANY sexual part of her, even OVER clothing against her will (that is the adult woman's will, children have no right to consent), IS sexual assault.

You have no idea of the context or the full statement. The jury did and found him not guilty.

Not necessarily. The judge, prosecutor, and defense attorney know the context and full statement. IF it was determined to be inadmissible, the jury wouldn’t have heard anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is why the kid's staff come from countries (UK, Canada, US) that have sophisticated, centralized, and digital criminal data bases.

I have to disagree with this statement.

Breakaway Splash Academy was staffed by young men and women from South Africa, Vietnam, Serbia, croatia and china.

I found several news stories .

Fox, Miami Herald, and one from UK.

All are similar with info about the incident, arrest and trial.

Were these stories from the time of the trial itself, or after the civil suit was filed? I can only find articles after the not guilty verdict and about the lawsuit.

I did find the incident report from Jan - Apr (PDF file) that includes one NCL crew member accused of sexual assault. A Google search for the name of the crew member, Rajkumar Panneer Selvam, returns only hits for the civil case. There are several news stories but none from the time of the arrest in Jan, 2017, and no records I can find in the Miami-Dade online databases.