Any downsides to anytime dining?

kj_connections

The major downside is that, if you enjoy anytime dining, it’s hard to go back to fixed dining. We’ve sailed a couple of times on other cruise lines that don’t offer anytime dining and, after getting used to the flexibility that anytime dining provides, it’s been hard to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone is different. What works for one family might not work for another family. If you eat at the same time daily you might want to pick early or late dining. If you eat at different times daily then Anything Dining might work better for you.

DH and I have been doing anytime dining since it started and love it. We go at 5:45-6pm and get right in with a table for two. On our last cruise in Nov. we sat at the same table with the same wait staff each night because we liked the location and the staff was very attentive. Noticed the same passengers around us, also, for the whole time. When we leave at 7-7:15pm, there is a huge crowd waiting to go in, so we totally avoid going at that time.

• 2 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 6:50 PM, cmichael1279 said:

My personal opinion - I feel like we get better service with set dining. The waiters and their teams are expecting you every night, so they'll pick up your preferences real quick.

I know you can request the same server every night with YTD, but there's no guarantee you're going to get them. I like building the relationship with the servers over the course of the week - some of the most memorable people you'll meet onboard.

Agree with this 100%.

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yes, and some don't. We've been bored to tears at times. It's a very personal decision.

I agree, we are all different.

OTOH, if you have fixed dining and boring to tears dinner mates, you are stuck with them.

Edited by ontheweb
fixed typo

Just now, ontheweb said:

OTOH, if you have fixed dining and boring to tears dinner mates, you are stuck with them.

Yes and that's why we have enjoyed Carnival's ATD since it was introduced. We are both out going folks who meet new people throughout the cruise but prefer our company at dinner 🙂 

On 1/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, kj_connections said:

I've been assigned to anytime dining. I've always had a set dining time. Any downsides to anytime dining? Do I have to wait for a table if it's busy? Will I have different servers each night?

Thanks

I'm picking anytime dining until covid is gone. Why expose myself to more people just to eat and meet people. I like assigned and the same folks every night, but not until covid is over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I agree, we are all different.

Actually you can ask to be switched. I've seen it happen. We had I think a 8 top and 2 women, daughter and mom ordered pretty much every item on the menu. You can imagine how much it slowed down dinner. Some dishes they had one bite from and pushed aside. They said was their right to order it all.

By half way just me and my sister left with them. The rest fled. One couple said they got a 2 top to me.

we did it on the pride . sometimes it was an hour wait (and we went at light 5)  but generally   longer . One time we had a 20 minute wait. now to be fair, we did have a party of 6.  after that, we stuck to early seating. my inlaws still love late seating.

it is really a personal preference.  we did not choose any time for Mardi Gras next December .  

14 hours ago, jmcancruise said:

The question today is what will dining look like going forward.  I would guess we would not be seated with strangers.

Very good question.

Seems like there will need to be adjustments made.

We always did YTD so we could talk privately and the wife could inform me how much I was allowed to drink and gamble that evening.😋

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually you can ask to be switched. I've seen it happen. We had I think a 8 top and 2 women, daughter and mom ordered pretty much every item on the menu. You can imagine how much it slowed down dinner. Some dishes they had one bite from and pushed aside. They said was their right to order it all.

By half way just me and my sister left with them. The rest fled. One couple said they got a 2 top to me.

Actually, I can imagine how much it slowed everything down. This actually happened on Norwegian, so it was freestyle, not a fixed table. My DW did not order an appetizer. Someone ordered every single one on the menu and was served one at a time. Meanwhile DW had nothing to eat as she waited for her salad as they did not serve that course until all the appetizers were finished. Glad we never had to have dinner with them again! 

On 1/17/2018 at 7:27 PM, kingston13 said:

Does any one know if you go to a separate sign up area on the Magic?

We were on the Magic 2-28-20.  We checked in on the app when we got to the dining room entrance.  They would not allow you in line until you had checked in.  Then we were seated after a short wait (usually no more than 3-4 minutes).  You can also check in on the app before you head to MDR, but we always dined with friends, so we waited till we were all together.  

This was different from our previous experiences, but once we got it figured out, it was fine.  I can't say whether it speeded things up or not.

Just realized this was an old thread LOL  As it happens we were on the Magic in 2018 and I can say with certainty that the process was different then 🤓

Edited by keywest1

We prefer fixed dining. I love  not having to decide what  time we want to eat (especially when traveling with others.)  I love not having request a table and wait,  I love showing up at my table and being served by a team who greets us by name and knows our preferences. 

4 hours ago, simplelife said:

We prefer fixed dining. I love  not having to decide what  time we want to eat (especially when traveling with others.)  I love not having request a table and wait,  I love showing up at my table and being served by a team who greets us by name and knows our preferences. 

Agree with everything you said. I also like after the first night there is always Pellagrino and whatever else we might be drinking that cruise at the table when we get there.  

I prefer anytime dining. I've had bad table mates in the past and would just rather be comfortable with my own family and not be "on".

Shore excursion days it's nice not to have to rush to get ready for dinner. I like to shower, get a drink and sit on the balcony for a while, maybe watch sail away. It's just more flexible for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thing with YTD going in when everyone like to eat at a certain time can have you waiting... We usually dine when events are happening especially the singing shows in the theatre or a deck party happening lol never had a bad experience I usually dine 2 times if a 5-7 night cruise because I like to book specialty restaurants or just eat tacos all day lol

On 1/17/2018 at 7:49 PM, Mrgoodbar said:

Can you sign up for a certain time on a daily basis, we enjoy a table for 2

On the HUB app you can make a reservation each night, there’s no way to reserve a week in advance, you must do it each night. We switched to YTD and love it. Gives us more flexibility to do things. Most times we eat around 7pm ( this is the busiest time to go ). At 7pm we have been seated right away and also have waited up to 40 minutes to eat. The length of your wait if any has variables. The time your go, do you want the same waitstaff, do you want a table for two. If you are a large group, this could Cause you a delay eating. 

• Thanks 1