RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

That's what I have been saying for long time. It's the only thing that would make sense with the crowding problem. Closing the CLs, shrinking the size of the DLs and now...they are eliminating the overflow lounges to the DL....the change is coming. :o Three drink vouchers for the D's, but also add on a couple of specialty coffee vouchers would be nice.

I still like the idea of changing the DL name to the new "C&A" lounge that would be Pinnacles and D+. SLs are in place of the CLs...so that could be next?

First, here's an assumption: decision makers at RCL are capable of strategic thinking. I think it may make sense to accept that assumption for the time being.

I say that because it seems there is a strategy in place. A strategy that is taking a bit of time to execute, deliberately so. And that's part of the strategy. Can you imagine how hot this thread would be if RCL, at the time they rolled out the 3 voucher program, had instead gone full throttle, designated the lounge (DL, CL or SL based upon size, location and amenities, e.g. windows) as open to Suites and Pinnacles (D+?) only, provided the three vouchers to D (and D+), and called it a day? Small steps get you where you want to go as do big steps. It just takes longer.

On our very first cruise with the 3 vouchers I mentioned to others in the DL that it appeared that a change was on the horizon. If the reports of a no-overflow policy are truly directed by corporate and not simply a ship-by-ship situation and the policy takes hold (in typical RCL fashion it seems there be some inconsistency in its implementation; so unlike RCL, you know), I think we're witnessing the next step.

The next step? Who knows what it may be or when it happens! My guess is that we will see more changes, and with each change each of us will decide whether or not we wish to continue cruising with RCL. I see value in the D and D+ benefits and have enjoyed them.

Just back from 10 day Serenade cruise. With over 350 D&D+, total available seating in DL was 34. Long waits for drinks each night as well as almost zero seating. We all asked why the door connecting the Vortex lounge with DL was not opened to create a normal overflow area (this was done each night on this same ship back in 2015 NE cruise).

The diamond concierge said it was "corporate decision to keep this door shut".

I have never experienced such an overcrowded DL in all the cruises we have taken as diamonds. Most others we talked to agreed.

Needless to say, there were a lot of pissed off guests each night. Most of them got so frustrated they left and used their sea pass drinks elsewhere.

Now I don't have a problem with the 3 free sea pass drinks.....however, as diamonds, the DL experience is important for meeting old friends and socializing in your own private lounge. This is what loyal customers pay their money on and expect a consistent corp. policy (providing adequate overflow areas with proper personnel).

Please, chime in diamond members if you have had similar recent DL issues.

I would hate to think corporate is modifying their DL policy to put profit over loyalty.

You should have gone to Guest Services waving your D+ and shouting Diamond Member

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMHO allowing guests to use their vouchers in the MDR makes the crowding in the DL/CL worse. The premise behind the vouchers when they first came out was so guests could use them in other bars during the cocktail hours alleviating some of the crowding in the lounges. If you can use them in the MDR guests will use the CL/DL and then use their vouchers in the dining room, not cutting down on any of the crowding in the lounges

I agree. But many want more, more. Should just limit it to 3 FREE drinks period. No matter where they are used. Gets rid of many who are planted in the Lounge at opening until closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone on the Brilliance right now posted on FB that there is no overflow lounge.

Same on my 1/29/2018 Brilliance sailing. Not only was there no overflow lounge, but the concierge Bertie told some passengers that if they took their drinks out, they could not come back into the DL and get another one.

Night 1 they had a bar cart set up in the DL. Night 2 they didn’t and the servers had to go out to fill drink orders, making the slow service this cruise even more slow. I didn’t stop in the next night but the drink cart was back the following two nights.

While standing room only when I got there about a 1/2 hour in, it would start to thin out before the first seating for dinner. Cruising solo, I was lucky to get a single open seat a couple of times and enjoy the company of others at the table before I too had to leave for early dinner.

~ Judy

I think they should leave the levels alone. We were happy to make Diamond and don’t abuse the privilege of going to the Lounge, maybe they should limit the time spent there but don’t know how they could. I wonder how many D+ would be happy with this thread if they were still Diamond[emoji15]

^ This.

Since the lounges seem to thin out significantly after the start of first seating dinner, perhaps a more equitable solution would be to limit the first hour to those cruisers whose sea pass cards show they have first seating. Then there would be enough room for both D’s and D+ to enjoy this perk together.

Come on D+. Have a little empathy for us lowly D’s.

~ Judy

IMHO, the reason that the lounges are becoming so crowded is that (with a few exceptions for children) all of the tiers are for life with no need to ever re-qualify. Think what would happen to the United Airlines Mileage Plus program (or any other tiered frequent flyer program) if all Premier members were "Premier for Life". The number of Premier members would become excessive and the airline would eventually have to dilute the Premier perks. This is what is happening to C&A and I think that Royal Caribbean will eventually have to add requirements to the existing tiers that are based on points earned in the most recent year. For example, instead of defining Pinnacle Club as 700 lifetime points, perhaps they could define it as 350 lifetime points, at least 70 of which were earned during the most recent calendar year. Then, they might add a new tier called "Life Pinnacle" for people with over 1,000 lifetime points. There would also be (lesser) re-qualification rules for the Diamond and Diamond Plus tiers. Those re-qualification requirements could be adjusted as needed to prevent the numbers of people in each tier from increasing from year to year at a faster rate than the increase rate for the total number of cruisers.

The easiest way is to leave the tiers the way they are but to adequately compensate D members in exchange for them not being allowed in the lounge which will then be a C&A lounge for P and D+ only.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

^ This.

Since the lounges seem to thin out significantly after the start of first seating dinner, perhaps a more equitable solution would be to limit the first hour to those cruisers whose sea pass cards show they have first seating. Then there would be enough room for both D’s and D+ to enjoy this perk together.

Come on D+. Have a little empathy for us lowly D’s.

~ Judy

Been told this on oasis class before by the DL concierge when it was the old DL room above the promenade. We were my time dining that cruise. Lol.

Of course it was just her trying to thin the early crowd and not official policy but I’ve seen it on more than one cruise. It kind of came across as very rude and we had to show our card that we weren’t late seating.

But this policy would just be a mess between my time and specialty restaurants. Many don’t have a set time anymore.

I agree. But many want more, more. Should just limit it to 3 FREE drinks period. No matter where they are used. Gets rid of many who are planted in the Lounge at opening until closing.

The DL is a RCI USP(Unique Selling Point) and has become very popular because of this.

P and D+ are the true loyalty members and deserve the loyalty lounge.

Diamond deserve it too but that is the level that RC if they are thinking about making changes need to give the biggest attention to how they can compensate them properly for the possible loss of the lounge but hopefully they will leave everything the way it is now.

The easiest way is to leave the tiers the way they are but to adequately compensate D members in exchange for them not being allowed in the lounge which will then be a C&A lounge for P and D+ only.

And how do you suggest they do that without adding more costs to Royal? You booting P’s out of SL?

The DL is a RCI USP(Unique Selling Point) and has become very popular because of this.

P and D+ are the true loyalty members and deserve the loyalty lounge.

Diamond deserve it too but that is the level that RC if they are thinking about making changes need to give the biggest attention to how they can compensate them properly for the possible loss of the lounge but hopefully they will leave everything the way it is now.

Compensate? What are you Smoking. Why should Royal compensate anyone because of perks that clearly may be changed, reduced, or eliminated at a whim? Entitlement thinking...

And how do you suggest they do that without adding more costs to Royal? You booting P’s out of SL?

A suggestion of a P and D+ lounge leaving suites to their own lounge.

I personally don't want anything to change but i am only offering suggestions just like other well meaning people do.

Compensate? What are you Smoking. Why should Royal compensate anyone because of perks that clearly may be changed, reduced, or eliminated at a whim? Entitlement thinking...

I haven't smoked for 40 years.

Hopefully nothing changes but recent events indicate possible changes.

We are D+ but prefer the DL and mixing with diamonds and long may that continue.

P&O top level loyalty requires a certain amount of cruise nights in a 3 year period to hold onto the top status.

I like it. This is the way to go. Lots of our friends D+ don't cruise with RC often anymore maybe once a year , but they are cruising with everyone else.I think if the don t cruise so many cruises a year should loose the status.

M

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The drinks that are available with the vouchers are soda, selected beers and wines, and basic (no frozen/blender) cocktails. No specialty coffee. The vouchers can only be used during the "free" drink period in the DL.

However, you can get some specialty coffees in the D lounge usually 24 hrs a day. You can self serve and brew caffe latte, cappuccino, espresso, etc. both regular or decaf. Also, hot water for different types of teas.