RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

So, on the Ovation on my last cruise we were in a sea class suite (ie JR. Suite). There was no claim of being able to book only if space was available. In fact I booked 5 nights months before the cruise on the cruise planner. Now on board I booked an extra night one day, and they had to check that there was space, but that would be no different than showing up at Chops without having a reservation.

JC

This could be the difference. On Oasis and Allure, no online CK reservations. In Sky Class, we book through the Concierge ahead of the cruise. On Harmony in April, still nothing in Cruise Planner to book CK???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our 11-26-2017 Oasis cruise there were 63 Pinnacles. On our 1-21-2018 Oasis cruise there were 57 Pinnacles.

This information was given to me by Claudine the Suite Lounge Concierge.

On the 10-22-17 and 10-29-17 oasis cruise there were a little under 40 pinnacles each week. This week on serenade there are 36 pinnacles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

And I agree...some may not like it...but I think that is the direction that RCI is slowly moving to. They are simply letting the overcrowding become such an issue...pax are forced out of the overcrowded lounges to other venues.

Closing the CL...adding SL ...with D+ not allowed. D/D+ now occupy one single lounge unless they are full suite. Baby boomers now retiring and cruising more...D numbers are growing fast. D lounges on some ships are becoming smaller and over flow lounges not happening on some ships...(possibly all of them?). Indeed the change is coming.

The drinks vouchers and no overflow is pushing people in that direction which will make it easier for P&O to introduce a C&A loyalty lounge for D+ and P. What RC might do is only let D have the vouchers and not D+ as they will have an enhanced loyalty lounge with P.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

CK was packed with people standing around and lined up outside to get a table. The SL appeared to be full the times that I saw it. I heard they were also allowing JS's into CK which use to be on a availability basis.

That's too bad if it becomes like that. Never have been (yet) but I assumed that one of the pluses of having CK access is to be someplace WITHOUT all the hustle and bustle and crowds like there are in other venues, especially on the OA class ships

Bucky loves to keep all of our sea pass cards...which has started to need a bigger box. ;) Not sure why he does it, but it is fun to go back through and see the dates, card designs, and ships we have been on.

Yes, I am currently on Rhapsody...whiling away a relaxed sea day typing away here in the CL. This boot is dictating to me how relaxed I need to be of course. :o

We did not even go to either lounge last night. Had too much fun with bottle of champagne and wine that we shared with my sister and her new husband on the balcony during sail away. Always a treat to sail under the Sunshine Skyway bridge too! :D

Sounds brilliant having your sister with you.

I tend to collect the sea pass cards too just like Bucky.

That's too bad if it becomes like that. Never have been (yet) but I assumed that one of the pluses of having CK access is to be someplace WITHOUT all the hustle and bustle and crowds like there are in other venues, especially on the OA class ships

Exactly what Suite Guests have been requesting.

I fear all the complaining about overcrowding for cocktail hours will hit a nerve with RCCL. Their potential response, "We will no longer offer cocktails in the Diamond Lounge. To further enhance your cruising experience, we offer you THREE vouchers to use during cocktail hours at bars around the ship. See the menu for allowable drinks. The lounge will continue to be available for you to meet with others guests."

Think about it - everything that got complaints was eliminated, thereby eliminating the complaining. Just a few examples:

Complaints about duplicates of repeat passenger gifts ( hats etc) --- eliminated the gifts,

Complaints about the fake leather ship photo frames --- Eliminated the frames,

Complaints about the cookies in welcome basket, or the basket as a gift--eliminated the welcome basket,

Complains about the quality of chocolates left on pillows--- eliminated the chocolates.

Think about it, all these things were free. If the lounge is to crowded to get a FREE drink, go someplace else for the FREE drink. Amazingly you will also finds chairs where you can sit and chat with fellow passengers. The lounge is not the only place to sit and chat.

I have no knowledge of any potential changes RCCL may decide to make, if any at all. Clearly those who frequent the lounges seem to find the experience unpleasant. I read complaints of over crowding, poor bar service, drunk passengers, cliques and the list goes on.

RCCL offers many options for passengers.

Just my 2 cents.

M

So, on the Ovation on my last cruise we were in a sea class suite (ie JR. Suite). There was no claim of being able to book only if space was available. In fact I booked 5 nights months before the cruise on the cruise planner. Now on board I booked an extra night one day, and they had to check that there was space, but that would be no different than showing up at Chops without having a reservation.

JC

That whole space available is total BS. Nowhere in T&C does it say that. It may say by reservation, but same for Sky.

We sailed Oasis 5-6 times in JS pre Pinnacle and never once had an issue getting a reservation if we made them day 1. Only had to accept an alternate time once. 6pm was our preferred time.

FWIW dinner is not that great most nights. Folks are going elsewhere

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I fear all the complaining about overcrowding for cocktail hours will hit a nerve with RCCL. Their potential response, "We will no longer offer cocktails in the Diamond Lounge. To further enhance your cruising experience, we offer you THREE vouchers to use during cocktail hours at bars around the ship. See the menu for allowable drinks. The lounge will continue to be available for you to meet with others guests."

Think about it - everything that got complaints was eliminated, thereby eliminating the complaining. Just a few examples:

Complaints about duplicates of repeat passenger gifts ( hats etc) --- eliminated the gifts,

Complaints about the cookies in welcome basket, or the basket as a gift--eliminated the welcome basket,

Complains about the quality of chocolates left on pillows--- eliminated the chocolates.

Think about it, all these things were free. If the lounge is to crowded to get a FREE drink, go someplace else for the FREE drink. Amazingly you will also finds chairs where you can sit and chat with fellow passengers. The lounge is not the only place to sit and chat.

I have no knowledge of any potential changes RCCL may decide to make, if any at all. Clearly those who frequent the lounges seem to find the experience unpleasant. I read complaints of over crowding, poor bar service, drunk passengers, cliques and the list goes on.

Just my 2 cents.

M

Thanks for reminding us of what we have lost.

We love the DL and never not been able to get a seat.

Lets all sing the praises of the DL.

It was nice and quiet and very good in April 2015. Ah, the good old days of CK

If they do away with "free" drinks in the DL, then I would hope they would keep the 3 or 3+ diamond drinks on the sea pass cards but allow them to be used "anytime", not just during happy hours, as well as allow them to be carried over to the next day.;p Another 2 cents!:*

Edited by SilkySal
spelling

Just my 2 cents.

M

And if they did away with the free drinks in the lounge I'm sure it will still be crowded since a lot of folks say they go there for the camaraderie and to talk to like minded people:halo:

No most of their revenue comes from the cruise fare. Do you really know many people that spend more per person onboard than they did for their cabin? Sure some do but most don’t and many don’t come close.

Most of their profit comes from onboard spending like the beer you mention.

Seems to be a fairly common problem on these boards: people confusing revenue and profits:

However; I don’t think many of us really know how Royal or any of the lines figure profit by department or specific items.

It may seem clear cut on some items, like a beer, and less clear cut on fares - is a fare profitable if covers the prorated fixed costs of running the ship?

I think we tend to oversimplify these things when we make pronouncements about what is “most profitable” with respect to cruising because we don’t understand how a cruise line allocates it’s fixed costs.

That whole space available is total BS. Nowhere in T&C does it say that. It may say by reservation, but same for Sky.

We sailed Oasis 5-6 times in JS pre Pinnacle and never once had an issue getting a reservation if we made them day 1. Only had to accept an alternate time once. 6pm was our preferred time.

FWIW dinner is not that great most nights. Folks are going elsewhere

Folks keep saying space available, but I agree with John don't believe it is worded that way on line and certainly not with customer service on land.

We did a recent B2B in a JS ( we are not Pinnacle) and had no problem getting a standing reservation every night for the first week. It gave us a great chance to sample the menu We were then told that there were many more Pinnacle guests the second week and we might not get served every night. We only dined there 2 or 3 times and since we had some flexibility in our dining, we were able to get a table, but we could only reserve it the day of dining. Interestingly, the Maître D from CK asked us to give up our table in the dining room the first week as it was a desirable table for two and they wanted to give it to others. OK. He then asked again the second week, but what.... You want me to give up my MDR table but you can't guarantee that I can be seated in CK? Said no to the second week.

M

I go for the free booze

Free booze at the other bars too. Just have to limit it to three!

Actually I love the Oasis D lounge in the morning for the amazing custard pastries . Use to go for the coffee - but can only drink decaf. Past 4 cruises - no decaf beans in the specialty machine.

M

And if they did away with the free drinks in the lounge I'm sure it will still be crowded since a lot of folks say they go there for the camaraderie and to talk to like minded people:halo:

Ah, yes, the like minded people in the DL and the more civilized breakfast in the MDR, two of my favorite statements that are thrown around these threads.;p:cool:

If they do away with "free" drinks in the DL, then I would hope they would keep the 3 or 3+ diamond drinks on the sea pass cards but allow them to be used "anytime", not just during happy hours, as well as allow them to be carried over to the next day.;p Another 2 cents!:*

Worth a nickle.