Do We Need Letter From Ship Captain

Mylisa

We are cruising on Nautica to Asia in a few weeks.

We have booked a private tour to take us from the ship to Hanoi where we will spend the night. The tour company is taking care of the overnight Visa.

But do we need to get a permission letter from the ships captain to stay off the ship?

Also whom on the ship do we need to notify that we will be gone overnight?

We are cruising on Nautica to Asia in a few weeks.

We have booked a private tour to take us from the ship to Hanoi where we will spend the night. The tour company is taking care of the overnight Visa.

But do we need to get a permission letter from the ships captain to stay off the ship?

Also whom on the ship do we need to notify that we will be gone overnight?

If you are leaving and returning to the ship at the same Port, notifying your bedroom Steward should be sufficient.

Written permission comes in if the ship needs to leave or enter a Port without you, as that is when Customs and Immigration rears its' ugly head.

I agree, if the ship is overnight in a port its entirely up to you when you join the ship before departure. If you are leaving the ship and re-joining at another port then that is a different story.

Mind you my parents were recently on a cruise that spent overnight in Korea. The cruise line enforced a curfew (around dinner time). If you weren't home you couldn't board until morning. It kind of defeated the purpose of an overnight stop. So there are some silly rules out there

Edited by Chris86

Mind you my parents were recently on a cruise that spent overnight in Korea. The cruise line enforced a curfew (around dinner time). If you weren't home you couldn't board until morning. It kind of defeated the purpose of an overnight stop. So there are some silly rules out there

On the two occasions when that has happened to us, once in Venice, once in St. Petersburg, the restriction came about because the local authorities were not willing to man the gangplank 24/7.

On the two occasions when that has happened to us, once in Venice, once in St. Petersburg, the restriction came about because the local authorities were not willing to man the gangplank 24/7.

I suspected that may have been the case. That is quite disappointing since local authorities shouldn't allow overnight bookings if they aren't willing to provide the appropriate man power to facilitate it.

Mylisa,

I am currently onboard travelling from Singapore to Hong Kong.

This was published in Currents early in the cruise.

All guests planning to stay overnight in Vietnam are kindly requested to inform the Reception Desk. The Vietnamese Immigration Authorities specifically require a list of guests

staying overnight off the vessel.

I will ask Reception today if prior permission is required before boarding.

There were also additional notices regarding those independents travelling between Vietnamese ports, or between Vietnam and Cambodia.

Those guests had to register early in the cruise so that arrrangements could be made with Vietnamese Authorities.

Mylisa,

There were also additional notices regarding those independents travelling between Vietnamese ports, or between Vietnam and Cambodia.

Those guests had to register early in the cruise so that arrrangements could be made with Vietnamese Authorities.

Thank you for this as this will apply to us in April.

Could you please list the main officers currently on (Captain, CD, GM, Restaurant mgr, etc).

TIA

Paul

On our November 2017 cruise on Marina when we were in Haifa overnight we simply told Reception we were planning on being off the ship that night. We weren't planning on going to Jerusalem as so many other passengers did. We thought we'd be spending the night with DH's cousin about an hour's drive away.

In the end we stayed on board, which didn't confuse them at all. A guy at Destinations DID tell us that only 80 passengers were on board that day ...

It's one thing when the ship is staying in port. They do want to know if you'll be off the ship. But in a case where the ship will be moving, then you certainly should do as Jan suggests! (I'm no expert, I just believe what Jan says. And it makes sense that if the ship is going from Point A to Point B, they should KNOW that you won't be on board until the ship is at Point B.)

Mura

Mylisa,

Thanks so much. That’s going to be very helpful.

Mylisa,

I asked Reception and they said for the straightforward ship remaining overnight situation in Vietnam simply inform them onboard, as per that info in Currents.

Paul,

Captain Drazen Tijan,

GM: Giuseppe Bagnato,

CD: We get a new CD in Hong Kong. I beleieve it is Shawn Carter, or a name similar . From Tennessee apparently.

Food & Beverage Director: Mariusz Lewandowski,

Restaurant Mgr: Srdjan Stojadinovic.

Mylisa,

I asked Reception and they said for the straightforward ship remaining overnight situation in Vietnam simply inform them onboard, as per that info in Currents.

Paul,

Captain Drazen Tijan,

GM: Giuseppe Bagnato,

CD: We get a new CD in Hong Kong. I beleieve it is Shawn Carter, or a name similar . From Tennessee apparently.

Food & Beverage Director: Mariusz Lewandowski,

Restaurant Mgr: Srdjan Stojadinovic.

Thank you Mylisa.

Lots of new people for us.

Personally, I am leaving the ship early in one port and I felt it prudent to have my TA get permission. It came right away and I have the email. I always feel it is good to cover the bases. Why not have the TA get it, it is worth covering all your bases.

It's one thing when the ship is staying in port. They do want to know if you'll be off the ship. But in a case where the ship will be moving, then you certainly should do as Jan suggests! (I'm no expert, I just believe what Jan says. And it makes sense that if the ship is going from Point A to Point B, they should KNOW that you won't be on board until the ship is at Point B.)

Mura

And it is a good idea to let them have your contact details. on one of our cruises we didn't make Point B and whilst the ship knew that one of the passengers had got off at A and was returning to B there was no way to let them know.

Luckily the concierge was asked & she knew they were friendly with another couple and they DID have a contact phone number. The passengers unfortunately then had to fly to our next port at their own cost, but at least we were still in the same country!

And it is a good idea to let them have your contact details. on one of our cruises we didn't make Point B and whilst the ship knew that one of the passengers had got off at A and was returning to B there was no way to let them know.

Luckily the concierge was asked & she knew they were friendly with another couple and they DID have a contact phone number. The passengers unfortunately then had to fly to our next port at their own cost, but at least we were still in the same country!

That happened to us too. BUT -- the ship had our number and never did contact us. Fortunately our TA found out and he warned us the ship was going to skip a port. If that POINT B is a tender port I would definitely avoid doing this as you have this risk.

Thank you for this as this will apply to us in April.

Could you please list the main officers currently on (Captain, CD, GM, Restaurant mgr, etc).

TIA

Paul

Julie James said she would be coming on Nautica for the long sailing back to Europe. She just left Regatta for some time off.