Is BLU alone worth the Aqua upgrade?

LeCricket

I'm in an Aqua class for our upcoming cruise. First on Celebrity. I thought we could hop from Blu to the MDR easily, but apparently I'm wrong. I have read that MCR dinners can be arranged, but we can't show up for My Time Dining (or whatever it is on X) on a whim. I have been excited about Blu, but also the option for both dining rooms. The upgrade to Aqua isn't too much, about $200 for the cabin, so I'm kinda thinking to just stay where I am, but I'd like to know your thoughts before I decide.

Blu is the reason we book Aqua. IMHO food & service is better, smaller dining room excellent staff. We also like breakfast in Blu.

You didn’t say which ship but on the S class ships you can’t get the MDR daily specials in Blu ( kitchens are too far apart) but you can get some items in Blu everyday even though they are not on the Blu menu including shrimp cocktail, cesear salal, French onion soup, baked potato or French fries. You can always get chicken, salmon or steak. Probably others I can’t recall.

On M class ships some have reported being able to get other MDR items

But not on a consistent basis.

The difficultly with allowing people booked in Aqua to go to the MDR “on a whim” is that those booked in the MDR can’t dine in Blu, so if Blu 20 or 30 Blu patron decide to go to the MDR at peak time it creates delays in serving those who are booked in the MDR.

I guess it depends on what you think of the MDR. I like being able to eat every night in what is basically a specialty restaurant but still have the same serving staff. The MDR just seems like a bit of a zoo to me, particularly on S-class ships.

Blu is the primary reason for booking Aqua class and definitely worth it for the price differential you mentioned. The first time we booked Aqua class we thought we'd dine some nights in the MDR, but after dining once in Blu, we never looked back. They are very accommodating, the service is excellent, it's much quieter. Blu offers the same every night options as the MDR, and also the standard starters of shrimp cocktail, escargot, Caesar salad, and French onion soup. You can have the same wait staff nightly, so they know your preferences, and since Blu deals with many fewer passengers than does the MDR staff, they learn your preferences even more quickly. The breakfasts in Blu are lovely. We thought we'd miss the many options offered in the buffet, or eating in the MDR for breakfast, but the service and choices (on and off the menu) were excellent and we never missed a thing.

Blu is definitely an upgrade over the MDR. Since specialty dining can be had for around $25 per night (if you buy a package on sale or get good deals on board), I use $25 per person per day as a limit for what I'm willing to spend on AQ over a standard balcony. There are other benefits, including the Persian Gardens and the upgraded showerhead (if you're into that sort of thing), but Blu is the main benefit. For only $200 (for two for a week, I'm assuming), I would do AQ no question.

I'm in an Aqua class for our upcoming cruise. First on Celebrity. I thought we could hop from Blu to the MDR easily, but apparently I'm wrong. I have read that MCR dinners can be arranged, but we can't show up for My Time Dining (or whatever it is on X) on a whim. I have been excited about Blu, but also the option for both dining rooms. The upgrade to Aqua isn't too much, about $200 for the cabin, so I'm kinda thinking to just stay where I am, but I'd like to know your thoughts before I decide.

With a $200 per person upgrade you would be better off doing 5 specialty restaurants and 2 MDR dinners. The variety of 6 different restaurants would be the way to go.

Edited by ShakeDaddy

Blu is the reason we book Aqua. IMHO food & service is better, smaller dining room excellent staff. We also like breakfast in Blu.

You didn’t say which ship but on the S class ships you can’t get the MDR daily specials in Blu ( kitchens are too far apart) but you can get some items in Blu everyday even though they are not on the Blu menu including shrimp cocktail, cesear salal, French onion soup, baked potato or French fries. You can always get chicken, salmon or steak. Probably others I can’t recall.

The difficultly with allowing people booked in Aqua to go to the MDR “on a whim” is that those booked in the MDR can’t dine in Blu, so if Blu 20 or 30 Blu patron decide to go to the MDR at peak time it creates delays in serving those who are booked in the MDR.

However, if you check out the menus and find that you really want to switch to the MDR for an evening, just ask the Blu maitre d' and they will generally assist you in getting a reservation in the MDR for that evening.

We sail in Blu almost exclusively now. Whenever we have wanted to eat in the main DR which is usually once or twice on a 10-12 day cruise, we just show up at or call the desk in Blu and let them know. They will call the MDR and tell them we are coming. Sometimes we want to join friends at their table in fixeddining and at other times we will dine either alone or with others in Select.

Someone once said about Aqua

“They took the worst cabins and gave them the best restaurant”

It’s not far off. The cabins aren’t any better, the other perks are mostly fluff, so Blu is THE reason to book Aqua class.

We love Blu, once walking by the mdr my dw jokingly remarked “please don’t make me eat down there”.

We have had many nice meals in the mdr so it was entirely a joke but she loves the Blu experience.

I’ll probably have a similar feeling about luminae once we eat there......

We have cruised multiple times in both Aqua and regular balcony cabins. For planning purposes we used to put a value of $30 per passenger day on Aqua Class. If it cost more than $30 per day we had little interest. However, over the years we have grown less and less impressed with the dinner menus in Blu. So we now value it at about $20 per passenger day. Otherwise we would book a regular balcony (which would likely be in a better location than AQ cabins). With the money saved we can easily buy a dining package for about $25 per passenger day (multiple nights purchased during a 20% off sale) which has us dining in Murano....for less than the cost of Blu :).

Hank

Thanks, everyone. Right now the Aqua room is $200 more total, $100 pp for a 7 day cruise on Equinox. Should have been more clear about that. I think I'll keep the Aqua room for now, but if the price drops significantly, and there's still my room type available ( one of the angled balconies on the hump) I may change. I appreciate the help!

Since this never happens, there is no problem with you going to select dining in the MDR instead of Blu if you want one night. It does NOT impact the MDR diners at all. All passengers are free to go to the buffet or specialty dining and they don't need to tell anyone. Neither do Blu diners need to ask permission or tell anyone if they want to go to the MDR. The number of people who opt to do so are well within the numbers every dining venue needs to be able to accommodate in order to allow freedom of choice.

We have cruised multiple times in both Aqua and regular balcony cabins. For planning purposes we used to put a value of $30 per passenger day on Aqua Class. If it cost more than $30 per day we had little interest. However, over the years we have grown less and less impressed with the dinner menus in Blu. So we now value it at about $20 per passenger day. Otherwise we would book a regular balcony (which would likely be in a better location than AQ cabins). With the money saved we can easily buy a dining package for about $25 per passenger day (multiple nights purchased during a 20% off sale) which has us dining in Murano....for less than the cost of Blu :).

Hank

This past year the Blu dining menu changed. Prior to that the menu was the same for at least a couple of years. So I'm not certain how one becomes disenchanted with a menu that never changes. Bored maybe. I much prefer the Blu menu with the exception of one night. It appears to rely more on the natural flavors of the food, proper seasoning, and proper cooking than does the MDR , which relies more on sauces and gravies (and poorer preparation).

For us, Aqua Class is worth every dollar, on the M class ships the cabins are larger, the shower is great and we love the cabin locations. Blu dining room is more intimate, the service is better the food quality is about the same as the MDR for me. Going to one of the specialty restaurants is not an option for me one has to make a reservation in advance exact day and time. Dining in Blu you just show up when you want we have never waited more than 20 minutes for a table for 2. We were told that we could not eat in the MDR?? Not that it mattered one time in Blu and we are hooked.

Edited by southernbreezes

We especially value Blu on M-class ships since they removed Ocean Liners/Murano from those. We don't care for Tuscan Grille, Qsine is a "been there, done that," and DH doesn't care for Sushi. Therefore, the option of specialty restaurant dining is gone from the M-class for us.

We especially value Blu on M-class ships since they removed Ocean Liners/Murano from those. We don't care for Tuscan Grille, Qsine is a "been there, done that," and DH doesn't care for Sushi. Therefore, the option of specialty restaurant dining is gone from the M-class for us.

Agree 100% with you. We may go to Qsine again if we met and went with a group of new friends from roll call or on the ship.

Thanks, everyone. Right now the Aqua room is $200 more total, $100 pp for a 7 day cruise on Equinox. Should have been more clear about that. I think I'll keep the Aqua room for now, but if the price drops significantly, and there's still my room type available ( one of the angled balconies on the hump) I may change. I appreciate the help!

Actually right now total cabin cost is:

June 2, 2018 Equinox Western Caribbean

2A Balcony $1279 Per Person

A2 Aqua $1499 Per Person

$220 Per Person

$440 Total Cabin Aqua upgrade cost

Blu would be the reason to book Aqua if the standards had remained higherthan the other food venues. Next week will be our twentieth Celebrity cruise, eleven have been in Aqua(Blu); so we have seen the decline over the last five years. Service is and always has been tops, but the quality, type and selection of foods are not worth it anymore!

Last year we were on the Equinox three times; b2b (10/11 days) in February and again in late May (7 day).

Everyone says that food is subjective to ones taste - the number of less than stellar reviews of the food in Blu is enough to answer you original post.

After our May cruise in aqua we are not booking this category in the foreseeable future! Next week we're on the Eclipse (14 day), April on the Equinox (8 day), and in May on the Silhouette (14 day) all in the main dining room or specialty restaurants.

Also, look at the location of A2 cabins, some are so far forward that you will know who is on duty on the bridge.

Hal

We have sailing about 30 times on Celebrity- a few in Blu on various ships. IMO not worth paying additional for. First, the location of the cabins is under the pool and gym- Also, blu is fair- Surely not worth extra- If a suite isn't in your budget, book a balcony or if CC is about the same, those cabins, with cabins above and below- Save the money and take a speciality dining package. Dine as much as you can in the speciality restaurants. They are so much better then both the MDR and Blu. In the MDR you also have more options if you decide not to dine in specialty restaurants every night.

We loved Qsine and only go with two people. They adjust the portions so you can try multiple things. If you feel full, they will stop brining you food. Go twice, so you can try a few different dishes each time. The lamb chops are to die for!