Transfering to another Travel Agency, also changing cruise ship and date.

Jimbo

If really wanting to use a different travel agent, why not just cancel the current reservation and book the new land and cruise package and apply the future cruise credit from cancelling the current reservation?

If really wanting to use a different travel agent, why not just cancel the current reservation and book the new land and cruise package and apply the future cruise credit from cancelling the current reservation?

I believe the OP said they had some promo OBC that they would lose.

Or have the preferred TA do a mock booking and see what the new OBC offer might be? They may end up getting significantly more with the new booking anyway....if the new offer has more OBC, then just accept the loss, and go with the new reservation. They may very well lose OBC by changing ship and date anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am probably in the minority here, but have booked with a local TA since 2002. I don't get much in the way of OBC but I value her honesty and excellent work more. She has 3 people in her office and I know should I have a question, anyone of her associates will take care of it. Her office is prompt with getting back to me.

I would lose $350 OBC by canceling the current reservation number.

Jimbo:)

I would lose $350 OBC by canceling the current reservation number.

I realize that, but did you read my last reply above? You might be able to do much better with a new reservation, anyway. Maybe have your preferred TA make a reservation and put it on hold, and see what the OBC offer might be? We changed our current reservation twice, kept the same reservation number, BTW, but what started off as $100 OBC has jumped to $400. I don’t want you to lose $350 in OBC, but if you are offered $500 or so on your land/cruise package, you really haven’t lost anything.

Or have the preferred TA do a mock booking and see what the new OBC offer might be? They may end up getting significantly more with the new booking anyway....if the new offer has more OBC, then just accept the loss, and go with the new reservation. They may very well lose OBC by changing ship and date anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well there is $ 450 OBC on the current reservation, in which $ 100 of that is linked to the old sailing. I'm just trying not to lose the extra $ 350 OBC I would retain by keeping the same reservation number.

I know exactly what the new reservation will get me, I just would like that $ 350 not just thrown away by canceling it.

This is the whole reason I'm trying to transfer this reservation to the new travel agency which is going to significantly give me more perks then the old travel agency.

I am probably in the minority here, but have booked with a local TA since 2002. I don't get much in the way of OBC but I value her honesty and excellent work more. She has 3 people in her office and I know should I have a question, anyone of her associates will take care of it. Her office is prompt with getting back to me.

You have 40,000 posts on cruise critic..............You have been cruising for 15 years? Do you really need hand holding on the cruises you book now? Why not go to a cruise agency that can give you the biggest bang for the buck?

I'm not changing travel agents because the old travel agency refused to hold my hand.

Well there is $ 450 OBC on the current reservation, in which $ 100 of that is linked to the old sailing. I'm just trying not to lose the extra $ 350 OBC I would retain by keeping the same reservation number.

I know exactly what the new reservation will get me, I just would like that $ 350 not just thrown away by canceling it.

This is the whole reason I'm trying to transfer this reservation to the new travel agency which is going to significantly give me more perks then the old travel agency.

Oh OK. I must have missed the part about the new OBC offer, my apologies, as I misunderstood.

How did it get to $350? Earlier you told me you would only lose $100?

Bill

There is $ 450 total OBC, in which $ 100 of it because I booked that specific ship and sailing date.......the other $ 350 OBC would carry over to any ship and sailing as long as I keep the reservation number.

So I would lose $ 350 if that reservation number goes bye bye.

There is $ 450 total OBC, in which $ 100 of it because I booked that specific ship and sailing date.......the other $ 350 OBC would carry over to any ship and sailing as long as I keep the reservation number.

So I would lose $ 350 if that reservation number goes bye bye.

Since you cruise so often, why not assign this booking ID to another cruise you plan on taking that is not as expensive. For your Alaska cruise/tour, make a new booking so that you can get the maximum perks.

Since you cruise so often, why not assign this booking ID to another cruise you plan on taking that is not as expensive. For your Alaska cruise/tour, make a new booking so that you can get the maximum perks.

This makes the most sense. You will not be able to assign the booking with the same number to another agent. The 60 day window from booking has passed. So, if you don't want to lose the $350, give up the $100 from this particular sailing and move it to another cruise you plan to take, and make a new reservation to take advantage of more give back from another agency.

You have already been informed of the guidelines by which agencies are supposed to work. Big box ones work in a different manner, and you've also been informed about them. Since you obviously felt that you were being screwed by the agency you've used for a long time, and you pulled your reservation away from them, you need to deal with the situation as it stands now.

I hope that with a land/cruise tour to Alaska, you don't end up with any issues that need real expertise in handling, because chances are you're not going to get the kind of service you'll need from a big box retailer. I can certainly appreciate wanting to save as much as possible/spend as little as possible but you also need to abide by the rules of the cruise line regarding assigning to an agency.

That's the issue, we are not going to cruise as often because we are going to be taking more expensive cruises less often.

We are done with caribbean cruises......done that , had enough.

So that pretty much means that reservation with only $ 350 OBC is useless on the more expensive cruises where we can get much better/higher perks.

So if I can't transfer that reservation to a travel agency we are going to lose that OBC.

Back in June 2017 when we booked this reservation onboard an Alaska Cruise.........the Alaska tours and cruises for 2019 weren't even out yet so it's not like we could have booked what we really wanted.

Just can't figure out why my old cruise agency I have dealt with so many years is only offering $100 OBC for a $ 10,000 combo package. They are a large company too.

I have recieved other quotes from other agencies and their perks are so much better/higher it's not even in the same ball park as their $100 offer..

Edited by Jimbo

So if I can't transfer that reservation to a travel agency we are going to lose that OBC.

At this point, you are past the 60 days to transfer to a travel agent. You are likely looking at eating the $350 OBC if you choose to cancel this reservation since you would like to take another agent's offer for more perks/OBC.

That's the issue, we are not going to cruise as often because we are going to be taking more expensive cruises less often.

We are done with caribbean cruises......done that , had enough.

So that pretty much means that reservation with only $ 350 OBC is useless on the more expensive cruises where we can get much better/higher perks.

Back in June 2017 when we booked this reservation onboard an Alaska Cruise.........the Alaska tours and cruises for 2019 weren't even out yet so it's not like we could have booked what we really wanted.

Just can't figure out why my old cruise agency I have dealt with so many years is only offering $100 OBC for a $ 10,000 combo package. They are a large company too.

I have recieved other quotes from other agencies and their perks are so much better/higher it's not even in the same ball park as their $100 offer..

Did you already cann RCI and they told you you'd lose that $350?

You shouldn't lose the money for booking onboard if you cancel and rebook and you shouldn't lose the money you received as goodwill if you cancel and unless there were certain restrictions or a timeline involved on when you could use the goodwill gesture.

Bill

I believe I might lose only a $ 100 of it.

$200 was for booking onboard, $ 150 was for Good Will for an issue we had on a prior sailing.

other $ 100 was tied to just that sailing I believe.

So carryover would be $ 350 if we can keep the same reservation number.

Jimbo :)

You got $150 in good will credit for an "issue." Why does that not surprise me at all? Did your previous TA deal with RCCL for you to get said credit?

You got $150 in good will credit for an "issue." Why does that not surprise me at all? Did your previous TA deal with RCCL for you to get said credit?

Nope, she told me to call myself and explain the issue. I got the $150. Like I said before I don't need hand holding for booking a cruise.

When we book a cruise, travel agent needs to do nothing. Just going through a travel agent to get some of my money back for the cost of the cruise? just booking through travel agencies for discounts.

It's a win win for everybody, travel agency and me. We are just sharing some of RCCL's money I gave RCCL.

You act like the travel agencies are doing us a favor/service when we booked through them...........not really we are sharing our money with them.

Edited by Jimbo

Did you already cann RCI and they told you you'd lose that $350?

You shouldn't lose the money for booking onboard if you cancel and rebook and you shouldn't lose the money you received as goodwill if you cancel and unless there were certain restrictions or a timeline involved on when you could use the goodwill gesture.

Bill

Isn't the $ 200 OBC for booking onboard only linked to that one reservation # ?...............I can't move it to another reservation # can I ?

Probably because they know you can't get a better deal anywhere else without losing your obc.

Your $200 onboard booking obc can be transferred to another sailing but you have to use the original booking number.

Probably because they know you can't get a better deal anywhere else without losing your obc.

Your $200 onboard booking obc can be transferred to another sailing but you have to use the original booking number.

So they are going to give up a commission on a $ 9,700 tour/cruise package..just for spite, for watching me lose $ 350 OBC...... and that credit was isn't given to me by that cruise agency? It was from RCCL and Celebrity.

So you are saying it makes sense for them to just let me walk away and spend my $ 9700 at some other agency?

Now they aren't getting any commission from me.