Transfering to another Travel Agency, also changing cruise ship and date.

Jimbo

Princess and Royal Caribbean are about equal. Among the mainstream cruise lines Celebrity and Holland America are a notch up from Princess and Royal Caribbean..

Alaska I would only book Holland America or Princess.

Princess was the best cruise I have ever been on (32 cruises) and my family says same. I did Celebrity in Alaska and loved it. I love Royal and I am considering Ovation to Alaska next year. I would never again do HAL, unless I was over the age of half dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess was the best cruise I have ever been on (32 cruises) and my family says same. I did Celebrity in Alaska and loved it. I love Royal and I am considering Ovation to Alaska next year. I would never again do HAL, unless I was over the age of half dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to drop numbers I have done 57 cruises. 19 were on Celebrity, 15 in Royal Caribbean, 11 on Princess with the rest spread around on other cruise lines. Princess was not close to being the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so glad I read this post today. I recently booked a cruise through Royal and asked them not to assign it to my TA on file I wanted to see is I could get a bit more perks some where else. I ended up giving the book to my friends TA who offered $500 in perks vrs the $50 i get from my old TA. As a courtesy I told my old TA, who I have known for many years I had booked trough someone else this time because the perks were to good to turn down. She then called her RCCL rep, I am thinking to try to complain about possible commission rebating. The RCCL rep then told her all about my booking with the other company. I am fuming. The rep had no business giving the TA any info about a cruise I booked with someone else. This is a total violation of my privacy. I dont have the reps name. But I think I should file a complaint with RCCL. Opinions?

Although I don't feel the rep should have given the TA any of your info, I feel you are the one who caused the problem. Had you not advised the TA that you booked with another agency because they were giving you more perks, this never would have happened. I realize the old agent lost a sale, but her reporting the new agency is on you. The new agency could have reasons for more perks such as a group booking.

My feeling is that even though you felt you were being courteous to the old agent, you were kind of rubbing her face in it and she retaliated against the new agency. I'm sure if others do what you did, the good perks you and I look for will be gone.

I don't see the point in writing or complaining to Royal Caribbean because of the above. I realize many on here will not agree with my point of view, but it is what it is, my point of view.

Although I don't feel the rep should have given the TA any of your info, I feel you are the one who caused the problem. Had you not advised the TA that you booked with another agency because they were giving you more perks, this never would have happened. I realize the old agent lost a sale, but her reporting the new agency is on you. The new agency could have reasons for more perks such as a group booking.

My feeling is that even though you felt you were being courteous to the old agent, you were kind of rubbing her face in it and she retaliated against the new agency. I'm sure if others do what you did, the good perks you and I look for will be gone.

I don't see the point in writing or complaining to Royal Caribbean because of the above. I realize many on here will not agree with my point of view, but it is what it is, my point of view.

Unfortunately I had to tell her. We have known each other for 35 years and our husbands work together. You are exactly correct about the extra perks. I booked through a large agency who book many large groups.

She said she called the rep to see if Royal would have helped her retain the booking. To my surprise, the rep said she would kick in additional OBC. However The fact that the rep gave out any info about my booking violates all RCCL privacy policies.

The rep could have just said I can kick in additional OBC....and not give out the cost of my cabin, the agency I booked through and the type of agency, To someone who has absolutely no connection with the booking.

I have not yet decided on whether I will report it to RCCL. However I will think twice before booking with them either the old agent or RCCL again.

Unfortunately I had to tell her. We have known each other for 35 years and our husbands work together. You are exactly correct about the extra perks. I booked through a large agency who book many large groups.

She said she called the rep to see if Royal would have helped her retain the booking. To my surprise, the rep said she would kick in additional OBC. However The fact that the rep gave out any info about my booking violates all RCCL privacy policies.

The rep could have just said I can kick in additional OBC....and not give out the cost of my cabin, the agency I booked through and the type of agency, To someone who has absolutely no connection with the booking.

I have not yet decided on whether I will report it to RCCL. However I will think twice before booking with them either the old agent or RCCL again.

It is common practice for a TA who is unable to match the benefits that another TA is offering to call his/her sales rep to see if that rep can offer anything to help them retain the booking. This is not "reporting the other agency." This is the benefit of having a good working relationship with your sales rep. Often times, they can offer something that will help you compete with the other agency.

Before believing the sale rep gave out all of your information, ask yourself how much your original TA could have ascertained on her own. There are very few agencies that offer the kind of perks you're describing, and everyone in the business knows who they are. Also, the sales rep could not have known/told her how much they were giving you in perks. These agencies do this all "under the table," as they know it's against the cruise line policy.

It is common practice for a TA who is unable to match the benefits that another TA is offering to call his/her sales rep to see if that rep can offer anything to help them retain the booking. This is not "reporting the other agency." This is the benefit of having a good working relationship with your sales rep. Often times, they can offer something that will help you compete with the other agency.

That is exactly what the problem is, when I ask a travel agency to price out a cruise for me I ask them for a price and what your best available perks are for that ship and sailing.

Which means give me your best quote right off the bat. I don't need to be played with when getting a quote , well let me see if my customer will go for this offer.............and then if you decline the offer, well let me see if I can get you some more. That is Bull s..t !

My time is more valuable then that........... Best to just move on to another travel agency and not waste my time.

Jimbo:)

Princess and Royal Caribbean are about equal. Among the mainstream cruise lines Celebrity and Holland America are a notch up from Princess and Royal Caribbean..

Alaska I would only book Holland America or Princess.

Never been on Princess but, when it comes to suite perks, Holland is definitely not a step up. It's not even on the same step.

Before believing the sale rep gave out all of your information, ask yourself how much your original TA could have ascertained on her own. There are very few agencies that offer the kind of perks you're describing, and everyone in the business knows who they are. Also, the sales rep could not have known/told her how much they were giving you in perks. These agencies do this all "under the table," as they know it's against the cruise line policy.

That would be fine except, my old TA called me and told me what the rep told her, Which cruise, my price, the agency, and what type of agency I booked (a large agency who deals with large groups). And she said to me " thats why they can give more, they are not rebating their commission." To which I replied "I never thought they were" My problem is the rep should have just said. Im looking at the booking and we can give you an additional whatever, without releasing any other info about my booking, which is a violation of RCCL privacy policy. Thats where I have a problem. RCCL should not be giving out ANY info to an agency I did not book from period.

That is exactly what the problem is, when I ask a travel agency to price out a cruise for me I ask them for a price and what your best available perks are for that ship and sailing.

Which means give me your best quote right off the bat. I don't need to be played with when getting a quote , well let me see if my customer will go for this offer.............and then if you decline the offer, well let me see if I can get you some more. That is Bull s..t !

My time is more valuable then that........... Best to just move on to another travel agency and not waste my time.

If a TA has to go to his/her sales rep, that means he/she HAS given you the best offer and/or perks they can offer without losing money . Unfortunately, if you've found a better deal somewhere else, it either means that agency has a large group on the sailing, is rebating commission, or doing something else that's not "normal." (In theory, all agencies and cruise lines are supposed to have access to the same rates and perks. But it clearly doesn't always work that way.) If that TA wants to keep good clients and stay competitive, they may have to ask their sales rep to see if he/she can offer additional perks to help them retain the sale. It's not something that they're able to do on EVERY sale. It's something they do for loyal clients, and it requires a good working relationship with the sales rep; meaning you do a fare amount of business with their company.

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2018 at 4:58 AM, Jimbo said:

Not following you, what work do they have to do? You call up your agent book a cruise and agree on the perks they offer or you don't and then take your business elsewhere.

Then you call again and upgrade your reservation to another ship and sailing and the total cost of the package is 3 times more money then the original cruise...........don't you think they can offer more then $100 OBC ?

For example I just got another quote from another agency on the same landtour/cruise package and they offered $800 OBC

you should try the agency that gives a 16-19 % discount on Cruises to all customers and charges only a 39 pound booking fee. 

They get a chance to earn more only if you make any change or cancel.

Their change fee is 50 pounds and cancellation fee is 100 pounds, over and above any charges of the cruise line.

So on $9000 you could get a discount of even $1400

Edited by drsel

34 minutes ago, drsel said:

you should try the agency that gives a 16-19 % discount on Cruises to all customers

Might be difficult in NA with RCI only giving TAs a max of 16% on the commissionable part of the fare.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Might be difficult in NA with RCI only giving TAs a max of 16% on the commissionable part of the fare.

image.jpeg.77e55bfe5674cac1493ca65eccaa0aa2.jpeg

I know 16% is the max. amount paid on the commissionable fare.

That is why this agency is so incredible.

They offered a price much lower than all the others on the bidding site.

I couldn't believe it until I checked on their website.

Maybe they pay you out of pocket.

this is a US based TA with a branch in UK.

their UK website is cheaper than their own US website.

11 minutes ago, drsel said:

I know 16% is the max. amount paid on the commissionable fare.

That is why this agency is so incredible.

They offered a price much lower than all the others on the bidding site.

I couldn't believe it until I checked on their website.

Maybe they pay you out of pocket.

this is a US based TA with a branch in UK.

their UK website is cheaper than their own US website.

If it was a price offered it was most likely due to group rates.  There are group rates now held by some companies that are more than 50% less than posted fares.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If it was a price offered it was most likely due to group rates.  There are group rates now held by some companies that are more than 50% less than posted fares.

How does one discover or find such group rates or TAs

If I was booking a cruise at this moment, I would definitely go for a cabin with a balcony. I love having fresh air in my cabin.. Also, if you are a smoker, its a great thing for you, you can enjoy your privacy and have a cigarette there. However, I am not sure if its still legal.. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Any TA’s have group rates on Suites?

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal only offers group rates on balcony and below 

To add to that, there are times that Royal doesn’t even offer balconies in group space depending on the ship and itinerary.  Vision class is one where quite often the only group space is insides and ocean views.  Group rates are also only for double occupancy cabins.

Any  booking regardless of category or occupancy can be moved into a group after booking in order to get the group amenities.

• Thanks 1