Transfering to another Travel Agency, also changing cruise ship and date.

Jimbo

Thank you for your explanation, and this is mostly how I understood things to be. I knew that OBC had at least two sources (from the cruise line themselves, and rebated out of the TA’s commission). I do know that only a portion of the fare is commissionsble, and that part does not include any of the taxes that we pay. My point of disagreement with Jimbo was based on his assertion that OBC was directly related to the amount of the booking itself, on which I have not found that to be consistent in my experience. His experience may very well be different than mine. Maybe his assertion was that what the TA can offer back is directly correlated to the amount of the booking, which makes perfect sense being based on a percentage. Part of my point was that I have seen cruise line sales where some sailing dates will offer varying amounts of OBC depending on cabin category booked, where the very same itinerary next sailing may not offer any at all. So, while I think Jimbo’s assertion may be theoretically correct in how maximum amounts can be calculated, the execution of it in reality doesn’t always work out the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

His "theory" might make sense, but it doesn't account for any of the sales and groups. It also ASSUMES that all agents are willing to rebate part of their commission. Most are not as 1.) Contracts with the cruise lines prohibit commission rebating. 2.) That is how they get paid! I can't help wondering if people walk in and ask their mechanic, doctor or mail carrier to give them back any money they might make by working for them. Agents don't make all that much off of each sale to begin with. Then, while each agent is different, most of us send "thank you gifts," that equal a certain percentage of what we make.

On a separate note: many agents have now started charging service fees because people will ask for their experience and expertise on a vacation, and then take that research to a big box store. They tell the big box store exactly what to book based on the work the agent did for them for free.

His "theory" might make sense, but it doesn't account for any of the sales and groups. It also ASSUMES that all agents are willing to rebate part of their commission. Most are not as 1.) Contracts with the cruise lines prohibit commission rebating. 2.) That is how they get paid! I can't help wondering if people walk in and ask their mechanic, doctor or mail carrier to give them back any money they might make by working for them. Agents don't make all that much off of each sale to begin with. Then, while each agent is different, most of us send "thank you gifts," that equal a certain percentage of what we make.

On a separate note: many agents have now started charging service fees because people will ask for their experience and expertise on a vacation, and then take that research to a big box store. They tell the big box store exactly what to book based on the work the agent did for them for free.

Thanks for your insight. I think we’re getting somewhere now with this. My TA advertises that she charges $25 for any changes made, yet, she had never charged me for any of them, and her numbers match the invoices from Royal Caribbean, as she sends me her invoice as well as RCI’s. She had either changed nationwide TA companies, or the previous was bought out by the current (obviously I can’t mention names), but the previous name doesn’t appear to be around anymore, so I would assume buyout or name change. Maybe the $25 charge is what the national company states they charge, and she doesn’t charge her existing/long time customers? Don’t know, but I’ve always gotten good service and pricing from her. I would rather commission money go to her since I’ve used her services over 20 years, versus some call center order taker that I will never meet. I believe in loyalty for good service, but not blind loyalty. I wouldn’t switch from using her for a small amount of OBC. If she were to stop offering any while others were, yes, I would change. Bottom line pricing isn’t always the deciding factor. She has replied at 1am before when I sent her an email on a price drop that I ran across, even though I wasn’t expecting an answer until the next day at a reasonable hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jimbo, believe me nobody's is holding my hand, i look over the cruises and their prices, i check for price drops etc etc. I just booked a cruise with the daughter and booked directly with a cruise line, getting $ 300 OBC, then transferred to my TA. I will shop for the best price, then compare with what my TA can get me with the discounts is do get.

Jimbo, believe me nobody's is holding my hand, i look over the cruises and their prices, i check for price drops etc etc. I just booked a cruise with the daughter and booked directly with a cruise line, getting $ 300 OBC, then transferred to my TA. I will shop for the best price, then compare with what my TA can get me with the discounts is do get.

Was the $300 OBC before transfering it to the TA or did you get additional OBC, if so how much more?

Jimbo:)

The $300 was with the Cruise lines at time of the booking and before transferring to my TA who is local. Seriously I don't need to use my TA for booking as I research my cruises, select the itinerary, ship price and cabin location, so when I contact her, I am verifying my pricing and she in most cases finds a better price then I did. My main reason for staying with she & her office, is I know she will watch out for my booking. Should a problem arise with it, and she will be right there to contact the cruise line and make it right. An example, on one cruise, I was moved way forward of my selected cabin & noticed the change in cabin when checking my booking On Line. I contacted her ASAP and she had just got off the phone with the agent, telling them to put me back in my original cabin which was done. The cruise line notified her of the change and she had me back in my original cabin immediately.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Thanks for your insight. I think we’re getting somewhere now with this. My TA advertises that she charges $25 for any changes made, yet, she had never charged me for any of them, and her numbers match the invoices from Royal Caribbean, as she sends me her invoice as well as RCI’s. She had either changed nationwide TA companies, or the previous was bought out by the current (obviously I can’t mention names), but the previous name doesn’t appear to be around anymore, so I would assume buyout or name change. Maybe the $25 charge is what the national company states they charge, and she doesn’t charge her existing/long time customers? Don’t know, but I’ve always gotten good service and pricing from her. I would rather commission money go to her since I’ve used her services over 20 years, versus some call center order taker that I will never meet. I believe in loyalty for good service, but not blind loyalty. I wouldn’t switch from using her for a small amount of OBC. If she were to stop offering any while others were, yes, I would change. Bottom line pricing isn’t always the deciding factor. She has replied at 1am before when I sent her an email on a price drop that I ran across, even though I wasn’t expecting an answer until the next day at a reasonable hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I could not agree more. I mentioned earlier that I have used the same mechanic for more than 28 years now. Why? Because I trust him explicitly. I know he watches out for me and will never fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. That said, when he takes the time to diagnose a problem and tells me what's wrong, and what it will cost to fix it, I could shop the job around and find somewhere that might do it cheaper. However, anything I gain in the short term would be a loss in the long term.

I had to laugh at your 1 am story. I run annual cruises for people who have the same chronic illness that I do. One of the symptoms is insomnia. Therefore, they will often send me Facebook messages at 3 or 4am, and I will immediately answer. We always have a good laugh about it.

I could not agree more. I mentioned earlier that I have used the same mechanic for more than 28 years now. Why? Because I trust him explicitly. I know he watches out for me and will never fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. That said, when he takes the time to diagnose a problem and tells me what's wrong, and what it will cost to fix it, I could shop the job around and find somewhere that might do it cheaper. However, anything I gain in the short term would be a loss in the long term.

I had to laugh at your 1 am story. I run annual cruises for people who have the same chronic illness that I do. One of the symptoms is insomnia. Therefore, they will often send me Facebook messages at 3 or 4am, and I will immediately answer. We always have a good laugh about it.

Well the 1am story was because of simple geography. My TA is in Florida, as I used to live in Florida. We then moved to Michigan and eventually to Colorado. I was looking online at our recent cruise booking, and stumbled upon RCI’s 30% off sale. I found that we could book 4 of us in a Junior Suite and an inside for less than we were booked at (all 4 of us in the same JS). It was about $500 less than what our existing booking was for, to end up with a second cabin (and therefore a second bathroom). So, I wrote an email to my TA at 11pm (1am EST), not expecting her to even read it until the following morning at a reasonable time. So, I went to sleep for the night. About 30-45 minutes later, I get an email alert on my phone. So, I checked to see what it was, and she had mentioned that she received my email and that she had checked and verified the same pricing that I saw, and that she would call RCI at a normal time. Needless to say, I was embarrassed, as I didn’t think she would even get the email at that hour, but I apologized and told her that I wasn’t even expecting her to get the email until normal business hours, let alone respond to it!

Well the 1am story was because of simple geography. My TA is in Florida, as I used to live in Florida. We then moved to Michigan and eventually to Colorado. I was looking online at our recent cruise booking, and stumbled upon RCI’s 30% off sale. I found that we could book 4 of us in a Junior Suite and an inside for less than we were booked at (all 4 of us in the same JS). It was about $500 less than what our existing booking was for, to end up with a second cabin (and therefore a second bathroom). So, I wrote an email to my TA at 11pm (1am EST), not expecting her to even read it until the following morning at a reasonable time. So, I went to sleep for the night. About 30-45 minutes later, I get an email alert on my phone. So, I checked to see what it was, and she had mentioned that she received my email and that she had checked and verified the same pricing that I saw, and that she would call RCI at a normal time. Needless to say, I was embarrassed, as I didn’t think she would even get the email at that hour, but I apologized and told her that I wasn’t even expecting her to get the email until normal business hours, let alone respond to it!

No reason to be embarrassed! Email isn't like a phone call. ;)

I agree with this statement. Im not loyal to any line and shop around for TAs although I have used mine from a big cruise internet site for the last few years for 2 cruises a year.

Anyway, My last CCL sailed was Breeze two years ago. I had Vista Havana Cabana booked for next month. On top of my cabin, I had booked spa passes for two and alcohol package for two. The cost of that booking was higher than MSC Seaside Yacht Club. I stalked the MSC site and constantly watched for a YC cabin to open as it got closer to final payment. One opened and I booked it. I canceled my Vista cruise and still saved money with the loss of my ES rate deposit. So, yes, I agree with you. The CCL newer ships and cabin classes when adding on extras can come in line with NCL, RCCL and MSC (where I am getting two included alcohol and spa passes with my YC booking).

Good move. Vista was the worst ship I have sailed on in 32 cruises. The ship layout was horrible. Service in MDR was horrendous. My cabin was larger than the Comedy lounge and sports bar. You have to make YTD dining reservations on one deck at rear of ship just to go to another deck at the front of the ship. If you take elevators closest to where you make reservations you cannot get to the YTD dining room because the MDR is in the middle. If you have mobility challenged people this is not good. The human speed bumps kept tripping people all cruise - metal floor plates that are usually flush with the floor were raised 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I had my first trip to medical facility on board in this cruise. Hallways were hidden behind stairwells, but if you picked the wrong one you would have to go back to the stairs to get to other side. It was a mess.

Well then explain to me exactly why my two most recent RCI cruises which, again, are about $500 in total cost between each other, have a $400 difference in OBC, and why you seem to have one travel agency offering you a considerable amount of OBC, and another one offering you next to nothing. So no, you have very little idea about it. I’ve booked and been on about 10 cruises myself, and there has been no correlation in OBC with regard to how much the cruise booking itself cost.

There can be specials running at the time or a group amenity for a cruise when it is quoted. There really is no rhyme or reason to it. There is a limit to what agencies will allow on top of what they offer, such as 5% of total price is max I can offer on my own.

I am so glad I read this post today. I recently booked a cruise through Royal and asked them not to assign it to my TA on file I wanted to see is I could get a bit more perks some where else. I ended up giving the book to my friends TA who offered $500 in perks vrs the $50 i get from my old TA. As a courtesy I told my old TA, who I have known for many years I had booked trough someone else this time because the perks were to good to turn down. She then called her RCCL rep, I am thinking to try to complain about possible commission rebating. The RCCL rep then told her all about my booking with the other company. I am fuming. The rep had no business giving the TA any info about a cruise I booked with someone else. This is a total violation of my privacy. I dont have the reps name. But I think I should file a complaint with RCCL. Opinions?

I am so glad I read this post today. I recently booked a cruise through Royal and asked them not to assign it to my TA on file I wanted to see is I could get a bit more perks some where else. I ended up giving the book to my friends TA who offered $500 in perks vrs the $50 i get from my old TA. As a courtesy I told my old TA, who I have known for many years I had booked trough someone else this time because the perks were to good to turn down. She then called her RCCL rep, I am thinking to try to complain about possible commission rebating. The RCCL rep then told her all about my booking with the other company. I am fuming. The rep had no business giving the TA any info about a cruise I booked with someone else. This is a total violation of my privacy. I dont' have the reps name. But I think I should file a complaint with RCCL. Opinions?

I don't think filing a complaint with RCCL will do you any good, I sent 2 emails to them and all I recieved back is those computer generated emails saying they got my email and someone would get back to me with 24 hours to 48 hours from then.

It has been 4 and 6 days since and I have heard nothing.

It's just like when you call there and ask them a question about something, you can call 5 times and get 5 different answers.

This non refunable and refundable price crap is pure Bull s""t.

We decided we are pretty much done with Royal Caribbean, being a Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor member and spending as much money as we have over the years has really gotten us nothing.

So for the above, we decided to spend the money for Alaska and book the Royal Princess ship. Our new travel agent is great and gave a nice OBC of $950. WE booked cruise only in nice suite and decided to do the land tour before the cruise on our own.

Princess's deposit right now is only $200 and there is no change fee or cancel fee if we should change our minds before August 2019.

So what did you do with your Royal Caribbean booking? Princess is supposed to be better for Alaska anyway.

Probably just cancel it...........My wife and I talked it over and don't want to give anymore of our $$$ to them. We have had it with them and all the new policies and cutbacks.

There are other ships in the sea..................

Jimbo:) :)

Hope Princess meets your expectations.

Not that hard to please..........it's just RCCL is going in the other direction if you ask me. They are focusing on the wrong issues. I'm not the first person on here to see this. I have been on cruise critic for a long time, alot of the old faces have left and went on to other cruiselines.

This non refunable and refundable price crap is pure Bull s""t.

Princess's deposit right now is only $200 and there is no change fee or cancel fee if we should change our minds before August 2019.

Princess has the non refundable and refundable crap too. They had it before Royal Caribbean.

Princess is better than any other cruises I have been on.

Princess and Royal Caribbean are about equal. Among the mainstream cruise lines Celebrity and Holland America are a notch up from Princess and Royal Caribbean..

Alaska I would only book Holland America or Princess.

Princess and Royal Caribbean are about equal. Among the mainstream cruise lines Celebrity and Holland America are a notch up from Princess and Royal Caribbean..

Alaska I would only book Holland America or Princess.

Did Celebrity Infinity to Pacific Coastal/Alaska B2B this past June. I would not sail on that ship again. Needs to be updated.

Jimbo:):)

Never saw 2 prices on the cruise we just booked. Is it something new they are starting?

They had it last summer. I don’t know when they started. When I booked my cruise for last August when I initially booked it was refundable. When there was a big price drop the only way I could get the drop was changing to non refundable. Which I did since it was about a month before final payment.