Delayed flight may result in missed cruise

ggparts

We are travelling from YOW to FLL on Sunwing, it is a packaged deal through Sunwing where the air and transfers to the Miami Port are bundled with the cruise. Escape February 17 ,2018.

The flight are same day in and out so I have been monitoring the flights, so far every Saturday the flight SWG44 has been at least 1 hour late leaving Ottawa which likely should not cause a major challenge catching the ship.

However, this past Saturday January 27, 2018 the flight was 4 hours 49 minutes late arriving after 3pm.

I am wondering if anyone missed the cruise due to this delay and if so what type of support did Sunwing offer (if any).

ggparts

This is why we don't fly in the day of the cruise.

Keith

They don’t have much of a choice when this is a package deal.

Sunwing is popular with Canadians looking to go south, but they have a horrible reputation when dealing with problems on trips, especially at all inclusive resorts. There were reports of a group of Sunwing customers missing a ship and being flown as a group to the first port, from what I read it looks like they handled it in a reasonable way.

If I were the OP, I would be in touch with Sunwing to see if there was an earlier flight I could take and pay for a hotel overnight. Consider it the cost of insurance to enjoy the trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Simply call the Boston Globe, tell them that you missed the ship, and I'm sure they can whip something up to not only get you a complete refund, but a free future cruise to boot.

Easy peasy.

OP twice in the last 4-6 weeks has Sunwing had to fly passengers to Jamaica and put them up in an all-inclusive resort until the ship docked there.

Both times the passengers boarded on Monday.

Sunwings reputation as a "responsible " airline is suspect at best.

Missing a 1 1/2 days of cruise not to mention the stress/time involved to meet the ship shouldn't happen.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Simply call the Boston Globe, tell them that you missed the ship, and I'm sure they can whip something up to not only get you a complete refund, but a free future cruise to boot.

Easy peasy.

LOL, best answer of the day.

Easy peasy.

kLO

LOL, not likely... we Canadians are cheap and won't accept that offer... ;p

LOL, best answer of the day.

I agree...

I know with our poor dollar, it's tempting to go for the less expensive option but truly wish Canadians would learn to shop around. There is nothing worse than arriving to port only to see your ship already underway. I always (I use that word rarely) fly in the day before. I know I might pay a few hundred more for it but feel if I can't pay the added moula... I shouldn't be cruising; and yes, that is just MY opinion.

kLO

LOL, not likely... we Canadians are cheap and won't accept that offer... ;p

I agree...

I know with our poor dollar, it's tempting to go for the less expensive option but truly wish Canadians would learn to shop around. There is nothing worse than arriving to port only to see your ship already underway. I always (I use that word rarely) fly in the day before. I know I might pay a few hundred more for it but feel if I can't pay the added moula... I shouldn't be cruising; and yes, that is just MY opinion.

IMHO it’s not about Canadians shopping around, as many of us are very good at finding a good cruise deal :). It’s a matter of people having limited finances for vacations and a company offering what seems to be good value. However, it doesn’t take much to figure out Sunwing has some major issues with customer service and reliability. Unfortunately, it’s been our experience that the travel agents are more than willing to sell these trips, rather than try and put pressure on Sunwing by steering customers elsewhere in an effort to pressure them into changing their ways.

Sunwing is a charter, and we don’t have as many charter options to the south as we used to. Air Transat is the only one I’d use, otherwise it’s Air Canada and West Jet vacations, both of which are pricey.

Just some musings from a Canadian cruiser :)

We are travelling from YOW to FLL on Sunwing, it is a packaged deal through Sunwing where the air and transfers to the Miami Port are bundled with the cruise. Escape February 17 ,2018.

The flight are same day in and out so I have been monitoring the flights, so far every Saturday the flight SWG44 has been at least 1 hour late leaving Ottawa which likely should not cause a major challenge catching the ship.

However, this past Saturday January 27, 2018 the flight was 4 hours 49 minutes late arriving after 3pm.

I am wondering if anyone missed the cruise due to this delay and if so what type of support did Sunwing offer (if any).

ggparts

Flying in from Canada in winter on the same day as cruise! What's wrong with that picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO it’s not about Canadians shopping around, as many of us are very good at finding a good cruise deal :). It’s a matter of people having limited finances for vacations and a company offering what seems to be good value. However, it doesn’t take much to figure out Sunwing has some major issues with customer service and reliability. Unfortunately, it’s been our experience that the travel agents are more than willing to sell these trips, rather than try and put pressure on Sunwing by steering customers elsewhere in an effort to pressure them into changing their ways.

Sunwing is a charter, and we don’t have as many charter options to the south as we used to. Air Transat is the only one I’d use, otherwise it’s Air Canada and West Jet vacations, both of which are pricey.

Just some musings from a Canadian cruiser :)

I understand and IMO it will always be about "you get what you pay for" and unfortunatley, Sunwing will continue to offer these packages to customers who haven't done enough research to realize that this company has a problem following through and making things right for their customers. I used SunWing once! that's it. Will not use them again and as a retiree, I understand about the cost of doing business... You can't blame the agents for trying to make a sale if you don't do your research to understand the consequences...

I'm a Canadian too and will not use SunWing again but I do understand that some feel they get a good deal with lower prices for their vacations... I do my own research and don't regret what I choose...

Enjoy your cruises...

Cheers :champagne-toast:

I understand and IMO it will always be about "you get what you pay for" and unfortunatley, Sunwing will continue to offer these packages to customers who haven't done enough research to realize that this company has a problem following through and making things right for their customers. I used SunWing once! that's it. Will not use them again and as a retiree, I understand about the cost of doing business... You can't blame the agents for trying to make a sale if you don't do your research to understand the consequences...

I'm a Canadian too and will not use SunWing again but I do understand that some feel they get a good deal with lower prices for their vacations... I do my own research and don't regret what I choose...

Enjoy your cruises...

Cheers :champagne-toast:

Cheers to you too!

Sunwing is the one with the champagne toast, right? ;)

Cheers to you too!

Sunwing is the one with the champagne toast, right? ;)

Well, it is at least sparkling wine, which for some is good enough. My concern though is... will they make their cruise. How disappointing if they miss their cruise b/c they are too late to the terminal... I really hope they make it in time; however, when I cruise I will always arrive a day or two ahead.... please understand, I'm not bragging or disputing the cost savings... but for me, as a solo and a retiree, it just makes more sense to book a flight prior to sail away.

I do hope it works out well for everyone.

Cheers... again... can't get enough of that...:champagne-toast: lol

We booked a cruise out of PR in mid Dec for Jan 13th. Booking that late we had to fly same day from KY. But the good news was 7pm and the Summit leaves at 8pm. We purchased travel insurance a must for same sat travel in my mind.

The week leading to the 13th sure enough Snow storm predicted for Friday into Sat. Made for a very stressful week. We lucked out the snow ended late Friday night and our 6am flight left on time for a sunny Orlando. Very relieved since I knew we were home free.

Wrong! We had a scheduled 2 1/2 layover for the flight to PR and expected to arrive at 2.

As soon as we landed text from SWA saying a 1 hr delay. 30 min later anther text adi g another 30 min. Then a 3rd text adding another 30 min. We are now in full panic with 2 hours of delays. Hated the stress but we found out the delay was because our plane got stuck in snow delay in Albany NY. In the end we made it to the ship about 5:20. Horrible afternoon. I am not sure I would want to do that again. Bottom line is if you are booked make sure to buy Travel insurance. We purchased ours online.

Also when we boarded the ship on Day 3 of the cruise the lady in line with us was just getting on the ship. Her flight same day from Philly was canceled and rerouting thru Dallas so they had to fly her to St Kitts to wait 2 days for the ship to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They don’t have much of a choice when this is a package deal.

Sunwing is popular with Canadians looking to go south, but they have a horrible reputation when dealing with problems on trips, especially at all inclusive resorts. There were reports of a group of Sunwing customers missing a ship and being flown as a group to the first port, from what I read it looks like they handled it in a reasonable way.

If I were the OP, I would be in touch with Sunwing to see if there was an earlier flight I could take and pay for a hotel overnight. Consider it the cost of insurance to enjoy the trip!

If you purchase your air through Norwegian, you can pay a supplement and fly in early.

If it’s a package that saves lots of money, sometimes you get what you pay for.

If an airline is “popular” and has a “horrible reputation”, it must be remarkably cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To the OP, I wish you good luck on this one and do hope that all goes well. I am also Canadian and wouldn't book a package deal if that meant losing flexibility to fly in at least one day ahead of time. I have seen too many storms that have affected flights, both ones that are direct and those that have stopovers, resulting in delays, even from Air Canada and Westjet. For me the extra expense to travel one day prior (or more if possible) brings with it peace of mind. I know that even if all goes well, I would be worrying right up to the travel date and at the airport. Just not worth it. Hopefully all goes well for you this time :-)

Flying in a day or two early makes a lot of sense but the cost of accommodation near the cruise ports is ridiculous. Fort Lauderdale hotel operators in paricular are gouging cruisers with atrocious rates. I've seen awful properties listed for more than $350.00 on a Friday night. If you want the security of flying in early, and really you have no choice, it adds a considerable sum to your overall budget. I'd rather spend the money on a cruise upgrade than padding the pockets of greedy hoteliers.

I feel that I should add.

First thanks for the "fly in a day early advise" obvious but still good advice.

This is not our first rodeo.

In fact we have used this exact flight 3 times in the past. 2 times for same day departure and once for next day departure.

When flying with 2 kids mom and dad along with DMIL the cost of the hotel rooms add up quickly.

My post/question was to see if anyone knew how the delay this week was handled, and I found out (through this forum referring me to Facebook) that Sunwing did step up as best as they could by accommodating pax in Ottawa hotel and then flew them to Jamaica (first port), put them up in an all inclusive hotel for one night and got them to the ship Monday.

No one would choose this scenario as a first choice but I was somewhat happy to hear that Sunwing was able to help.

This delay was not weather related so I am not confident it would have worked out the same way if Sunwing was able to blame weather.

On a second note, although this flight has been delayed at least one hour every time it has been scheduled this year, it has never been for weather.

ggparts

Flying in a day or two early makes a lot of sense but the cost of accommodation near the cruise ports is ridiculous. Fort Lauderdale hotel operators in paricular are gouging cruisers with atrocious rates. I've seen awful properties listed for more than $350.00 on a Friday night. If you want the security of flying in early, and really you have no choice, it adds a considerable sum to your overall budget. I'd rather spend the money on a cruise upgrade than padding the pockets of greedy hoteliers.

I’ve never paid anywhere near that much for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. And you don’t HAVE to be near the port. If it saves you enough you can easily choose a hotel in another area (near the airport is convenient) and uber to the port in the AM.

I feel that I should add.

First thanks for the "fly in a day early advise" obvious but still good advice.

This is not our first rodeo.

In fact we have used this exact flight 3 times in the past. 2 times for same day departure and once for next day departure.

When flying with 2 kids mom and dad along with DMIL the cost of the hotel rooms add up quickly.

My post/question was to see if anyone knew how the delay this week was handled, and I found out (through this forum referring me to Facebook) that Sunwing did step up as best as they could by accommodating pax in Ottawa hotel and then flew them to Jamaica (first port), put them up in an all inclusive hotel for one night and got them to the ship Monday.

No one would choose this scenario as a first choice but I was somewhat happy to hear that Sunwing was able to help.

This delay was not weather related so I am not confident it would have worked out the same way if Sunwing was able to blame weather.

On a second note, although this flight has been delayed at least one hour every time it has been scheduled this year, it has never been for weather.

ggparts

Sunwing expanded into the American market a few years ago and I feel the same way about them as I do allegiant and frontier. They are a cheaper way to fly, but you are paying for it with a huge increase in the likelihood of a delay. I’d use them for a land trip when I don’t need to be anywhere at any particular time, but never for a cruise, even if flying a day early. They simply don’t have the infrastructure to deal with any problems in the planes or crew. But it sounds that you are aware of the issues and aware of how it will be dealt with now so you can decide if it’s worth using them in the future.

While I commend them for not leaving you stuck in the situation, and taking care of getting people to the next port. For me personally, IF I felt that I HAD to fly in the day of due to hotel costs/vacation time, I would book the flight through the cruise line on a major airline instead of sunwing. The major airlines rarely have such long delays and if you book through the cruise line they will hold the ship if they can if the flight is late.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You would think that Sunwing would do something to "fix" the problem. It has to be very costly to them to get the passengers to Jamaica with added hotel rooms , housing at AI's, etc.

Sure they eventually get you there ( to the cruise) usually 2 days later however you've lost those cruise days.

I always fly in a day or two before sailing. It not only ensures you reach the ship but also (hopefully)receiving luggage.

I beg to differ on the "ensures you reach the ship" part of your post. What if the day before the cruise is when the thunderstorms are cancelling flights or the ice storm and the next days flights are not really affected? In that scenario, you may be the one missing the ship, because you tried to fly in a day early and can't get rebooked on the flights the day of the cruise because yours was cancelled the day before and there are no available flights.

Don't get me wrong, I am in the fly in a day early group, however, I would never expect to be "ensured" that I would make it because of flying in a day early. I would just expect to have more time to make alternate plans should something go wrong.