Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

There has to be some sort of psychological explanation with the conflict that people experience when frustrated with others who got to their destination first at 6am.

I don't think the Pool Butlers even start until around 8am or later.....

The problem is people are rude. Ir's one thing to put a towel on a chair, get in the water, then go get a bite to eat and come back in 20-30 minutes. But I know people show up at 6am-7am, "reserve" several chairs, then don't come back for several hours. That's just plain rude when there are other paying customers. If not using the chair or pool, then don't put your stuff down on a chair. I don't understand why people think that's OK. It's a bit psycho.

Celebrity's Official Policy:

Pool Policy from 2003

All pool chairs are for the enjoyment of all guests. To this end, Celebrity Cruises Inc. does not allow the reserving of any deck chairs or lounges. In the event that guests continually disregard the policy, the Pool Attendant will contact their supervisor to remedy the situation. If the situation is not rectified, Security will be contacted to assist.

Restated more simply on Celebrity's current web site Guest Conduct Policy under "Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior" -- "Pool, deck, and theater chairs may not be reserved".

Celebrity's Official Policy:

Pool Policy from 2003

All pool chairs are for the enjoyment of all guests. To this end, Celebrity Cruises Inc. does not allow the reserving of any deck chairs or lounges. In the event that guests continually disregard the policy, the Pool Attendant will contact their supervisor to remedy the situation. If the situation is not rectified, Security will be contacted to assist.

Restated more simply on Celebrity's current web site Guest Conduct Policy under "Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior" -- "Pool, deck, and theater chairs may not be reserved".

Now that's funny.:rolleyes:

I love this topic. My wife is the one who wants a chair. I don't understand the love fest people have with sitting in a chair at the pool. If I had an inside room, I guess I might want a chair. But the reality is, I'd prefer to be in the water or at the pool bar or in my balcony room..... or maybe at the pool bar.... OK.... I'll just be at the pool bar. See you all there! :D

There has to be some sort of psychological explanation with the conflict that people experience when frustrated with others who got to their destination first at 6am.

I don't think the Pool Butlers even start until around 8am or later.....

There is nothing wrong with people who get there at 6am and stay there, apart from short periods.

There is a lot wrong with people who get there at 6am, drop off some token items and disappear for several hours.

I don't understand why the pool butlers don't do a walk-around as soon as they start, put a timed sticker on any chair that has personal belongings on it at that time, then if the chair has not been occupied during a specified timeframe (30 minutes?) remove the article. Plus, of course, keeping an eye out for people who arrive later to drop stuff off. Combine this with a strong message in the daily newsletter stating personal items will be removed if left unattended for too long. It would only take a couple of days for the message to sink in.

There is nothing wrong with people who get there at 6am and stay there, apart from short periods.

There is a lot wrong with people who get there at 6am, drop off some token items and disappear for several hours.

I don't understand why the pool butlers don't do a walk-around as soon as they start, put a timed sticker on any chair that has personal belongings on it at that time, then if the chair has not been occupied during a specified timeframe (30 minutes?) remove the article. Plus, of course, keeping an eye out for people who arrive later to drop stuff off. Combine this with a strong message in the daily newsletter stating personal items will be removed if left unattended for too long. It would only take a couple of days for the message to sink in.

If the Pool Butlers get there at 8am, it would have to be about 9am by the time they could reasonably be certain that the chairs have ghosts for occupants.

If the Pool Butlers get there at 8am, it would have to be about 9am by the time they could reasonably be certain that the chairs have ghosts for occupants.

So? Freeing up chairs at 9am is a lot better than having them "occupied" by a lone flip flop until early afternoon.

I agree, if the time cards start early in the morning on the first sea day then people would likely adjust and stop “reserving” loungers.

I'm a bit confused; chair hog ?

Heard of pot bellied, Berkshire, and the American Yorkshire but chair hog. :D

Well I guess if those chair hogs paid thousands of dollars for there cruise then they own those chairs. I mean I reserve a cabin and no one else uses it :eek:

I'm a bit confused; chair hog ?

Heard of pot bellied, Berkshire, and the American Yorkshire but chair hog. :D

Well I guess if those chair hogs paid thousands of dollars for there cruise then they own those chairs. I mean I reserve a cabin and no one else uses it :eek:

At least that's the chair hogs defense. ;)

I experienced a chair hog yesterday on Equinox! My husband and I arrived at the pool yesterday around 10am (sea day) . There were tons of chairs with just towels or towels and flip flops, water bottles, celebrity magazines, etc. We went to two chairs - with towels on them and nothing else-and asked a couple next to them if they had been occupied. The couple stated that they had been seated since 9am and no one had been in the chairs. We sat in the chairs.

A man shows up at 1:20pm demanding that we vacate the chairs that he had reserved-- btw he waited until my husband went to the restroom and approached me-- I told him that the reserving of pool chairs was not allowed. He told me that he could reserve chairs as long as he felt like and that he had got up at 8am to get these chairs (mind you it is now after 1Pm). I told him that I had been in the chair for three hours and reminded him of the policy. He then went to a pool butler and complained and then it escalated to an officer. The staff remained true to the policy and directed him elsewhere. As he was leaving he called me a "fu#$er."

I totally agree that Celebrity could do a better job in enforcing this policy. I saw several chairs "saved" and unoccupied the entire time I was at the pool (10am-3:30pm). It could be a simple as signs posted in the pool area warning that unattended items would be removed after one hour.

I experienced a chair hog yesterday on Equinox! My husband and I arrived at the pool yesterday around 10am (sea day) . There were tons of chairs with just towels or towels and flip flops, water bottles, celebrity magazines, etc. We went to two chairs - with towels on them and nothing else-and asked a couple next to them if they had been occupied. The couple stated that they had been seated since 9am and no one had been in the chairs. We sat in the chairs.

A man shows up at 1:20pm demanding that we vacate the chairs that he had reserved-- btw he waited until my husband went to the restroom and approached me-- I told him that the reserving of pool chairs was not allowed. He told me that he could reserve chairs as long as he felt like and that he had got up at 8am to get these chairs (mind you it is now after 1Pm). I told him that I had been in the chair for three hours and reminded him of the policy. He then went to a pool butler and complained and then it escalated to an officer. The staff remained true to the policy and directed him elsewhere. As he was leaving he called me a "fu#$er."

I totally agree that Celebrity could do a better job in enforcing this policy. I saw several chairs "saved" and unoccupied the entire time I was at the pool (10am-3:30pm). It could be a simple as signs posted in the pool area warning that unattended items would be removed after one hour.

How did you not laugh out loud at that moron.

I did not know that Celebrity had such a policy. Lots of saved chairs on my last Celebrity cruise.

There may have been clapping when he was directed by the officer to another part of the pool...:cool::cool:

Wow - I wouldn't have the unmitigated gall to argue with the officer or with you- I would feel guilty for saving a chair for so long. Good for you!