MSC: "4" New Small Luxury Ships: Yacht Club For All!

gkbiiii

MSC is close to order 4 luxury cruise ships.

Jan 31, 2018 | fleet

According to the The MediTelegraph, MSC is close to the order of 4 small cruise ships from Fincantieri Group with the aim to enter the luxury cruise market.

“More and more insistent rumors coming from the shipbuilding sector are talking about an order that is now coming soon. Only few details are missing before the official announcement. The vessels could be built in Italy, even if the Fincantieri plants in the country, including those of Genoa Sestri and Ancona, have workloads already programmed at least until 2021. For this reason, if the negotiations will reach a successful conclusion, it is not excluded that the four units can be build, at least in their initial phase, abroad (Vard shipyard probably), to be eventually set up in Italy”, said the TMT.

According to the few information leaked, the vessels would have a length of about 200 meters and a capacity of 700 guests and 200 crew members. Initially they would be used in the Mediterranean area. It is not known if MSC intends to keep them under its own brand or create a new one, perhaps with the Yacht Club insignia, a luxury concept present in the fleet since 2008.

The Company’s 2017-2026 business plan provides for the arrival of 12 new ships divided into three different classes, Meraviglia, Seaside and World. With this order the new units would rise to as many as 16, setting a further record.

https://www.mscfans.it/en/2018/01/31/msc-is-close-to-order-4-luxury-cruise-ships/

Just as I have suggested and predicted, as a good path for MSC. The one area they are good at, the Yacht Club; would be a good match, for small luxury ship cruising. If I were Crystal & Seabourn, I would be concerned.

"Just as I have suggested and predicted, as a good path for MSC. The one area they are good at, the Yacht Club; would be a good match, for small luxury ship cruising. If I were Crystal & Seabourn, I would be concerned."

If I am Crystal and Seabourne.... I'm not going to worry. Already has a solid and loyal base of customers and is years ahead of MSC in mastering the "luxury" experience.

Free from work ... With the ratios they have learned nothing from Seaside where there is a staffing issue!

We have sailed both Azamara ships often and once each on Orchestra and Musica and the difference between the service received is enormous. We sail on Seaside in a few weeks with limited expectations. However that being said the price difference is also enormous.

Jim

I wonder if there will be classes within this smaller ship .... large suites, regular suites, outsides, insides,

or if it'll be an all balcony and up ship?

I think I still prefer a small ship within a large ship ~ the best of both worlds.

Great new hope its not gonna be Crystal or Seaborne price

GB ... MSC is currently quoting the equivalent of $7000 for a couple for 7 nights in a YC inside cabin on Seaview in July for us. Now, I'm not familiar with Crystal or Seabourne prices, but I reckon they're not that far off!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Hello Friends!...

First of all... MSC has no say and will never have any on the top luxury market of the likes of Crystal, Regent or others. That is a small world kept apart from the remaining of the industry. Most of their clients are those very experienced ones whom have their next 5 years of cruises already booked and whom will book the next 5 years batch of them the exact day they receive the invite to book them from the company on a gold printed golden papyrus!... MSC has no room on that class!... :) But they have opportunities on the small ship market...

Granted that it might be possible to build an LNG / electric powered small 40K gross tonnes ship efficient enough to be profitable at 700 or even a little bit more passengers, it seems for me pretty well reasonable to assume that they can create for themselves a little market niche for what I can call "Classical Top Mainstream Cruising" (CTMC).... The possible 700/200 passengers to crew ratio signals that...

...And TBHH, there is a good reason to think there is currently the need for those ships here in Europe. Let us to see:

1. There will be a ban on cruise ships larger than 55k gross tonnes to sail the Venice canal.

2. New port of London will have a 1150 passenger ship restriction.

3. As I was told some time ago, Norway, Finland and Iceland may be considering similar to the above ship restrictions on certain of their ports.

4. Greece is considering similar cruise ship restrictions to Mykonos.

...And that is just the beginning!...

CTMC will be something with mostly YC experience rebuilt with the simplicity of the "good old days" mainline cruise experience, adding perhaps some "Cirque du Soleil" top entertainment and here or there any distinctive amenities. More expensive than regular cruising... But far from those luxury lines of the day!... Perhaps even below current Premium lines on the likes of Viking!...

I expect those ships to be:

1. Adult or older teens and adult only.

2. Double occupancy cabins only.

3. Basic cabins will possibly have no butler service and will possibly be half inclusive (all the non alcoholic drinks plus house wines and house beers at meals).

4. Top suites will be current YC level service.

5.. No speciality dining offerings, just YC quality buffets and MDR.

6. Very port intensive with long stops at ports and some sort of pre arranged shore excursion and shuttle services included on your basic fare.

7. All ship accessible to all guests.

8. Self service machines for things like speciality coffees, sodas and juices.

...And finally... Yes!... The Alaska would be a wonderful place to put such a ship too!... :) But I only expect it "later in the day"!...

Have a nice day!... :)

200 crew for 700 pax is not luxury. These will not be luxury ships if that is the true crew/pax ratio.

This ^.... but I think MSc knows that. Yacht club service doesn’t even begin to compete with luxury travel. It’s certainly upscale from mainstream lines, but not what I would consider ultimate in luxury. I do suspect there is a market for this though, not over the top luxury, but without over the top luxury pricing. I’m in!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^.... but I think MSc knows that. Yacht club service doesn’t even begin to compete with luxury travel. It’s certainly upscale from mainstream lines, but not what I would consider ultimate in luxury. I do suspect there is a market for this though, not over the top luxury, but without over the top luxury pricing. I’m in!!!

I’m just saying you can’t call it a luxury product if it’s not truly a luxury standard. Just being a smaller ship certainly doesn’t make it “luxury”. You need the software to go with it.

Perhaps they can market it as ultra-premium which in more in line with the YC. This being said, having just sailed in the YC on SEASIDE and also having sailed on lines like Silversea and Seabourn, I can tell you the service levels were comparable and much higher than the crew:pax ratio mentioned in this article. Of course this article is pure speculation. There is no telling what the actual ratio will be, or even the size of the ship, or even if any of it is true.

I’m just saying you can’t call it a luxury product if it’s not truly a luxury standard. Just being a smaller ship certainly doesn’t make it “luxury”. You need the software to go with it.

Perhaps they can market it as ultra-premium which in more in line with the YC. This being said, having just sailed in the YC on SEASIDE and also having sailed on lines like Silversea and Seabourn, I can tell you the service levels were comparable and much higher than the crew:pax ratio mentioned in this article. Of course this article is pure speculation. There is no telling what the actual ratio will be, or even the size of the ship, or even if any of it is true.

I agree with you. Luxury is subjective. The thing is, lots of folks on here call YC ultra luxury. It’s nice and all, but my interpretation of YC was the same as yours, ultra-premium is a very good description.

GB ... MSC is currently quoting the equivalent of $7000 for a couple for 7 nights in a YC inside cabin on Seaview in July for us. Now, I'm not familiar with Crystal or Seabourne prices, but I reckon they're not that far off!

On Seaside for Oct 27th, I am paying only $2,450 for two, for Inside Yacht Club Suite. I wonder how you got to a full $7,000 for a week, with Inside YC, on Seaview?

On Seaside for Oct 27th, I am paying only $2,450 for two, for Inside Yacht Club Suite. I wonder how you got to a full $7,000 for a week, with Inside YC, on Seaview?

Just checked SEAVIEW for the YC inside on a July sailing. $1608pp plus taxes. Nowhere near $7000. I checked on the MSC Cruises USA website.

Bea, on the USA site there are no YC inside cabins going for more than $4000 for a couple in July on the Seaview. And some dates/itineraries are less. We must be getting quite a discount and/or they are really sticking it to you guys. Even the YC deluxe suites are less than $5000. ???????

Just checked SEAVIEW for the YC inside on a July sailing. $1608pp plus taxes. Nowhere near $7000. I checked on the MSC Cruises USA website.

I tried to look at their Swedish site for prices but couldn't find a date with YC available in July.

$7000 seems right from what I have seen before but that may be for a suite with balcony and not an inside.

We have sailed both Azamara ships often and once each on Orchestra and Musica and the difference between the service received is enormous.

Can you explain the difference in service?

I really can't feel that I need better service than I got on Meraviglia so it should be interesting to know what the enormous difference is.

I said the *equivalent* of $7000. It's €2869 pp = €5738! At today's exchange rate, that comes out at $7140!! I should have originally shown the Euro price, but I wanted those from the US to see just how much we're being gouged. That's for a YC *inside* cabin. A YC balcony is €6098 for 2 - that's $ 7587!!

I'm not in the habit of making things up or exaggerating/inflating prices. And, bytheway, those *equivalent* $ prices would be even more were it not for the fact that the USD has dropped in value recently.

0bef653ec5770cdf49891a09598939f1.jpg

Edited by Beamafar