In your Opinion: One thing that could be done to improve the MDR

LMaxwell

I personally have not seen the staffing issues. We always book late assigned seating though. Lots of empty tables and that seems to free up the staff for us. Is that the secret? Can't help but think the other negative posts here are those who are assigned early seating or use my time dining.

My thoughts exactly. I don't want all the other people putting their hands on my bread. Very unsanitary.

When did this change? I haven’t been on any RCI cruises where the Asst Waiter didn’t go around the table offering passengers bread.

When did this change? I haven’t been on any RCI cruises where the Asst Waiter didn’t go around the table offering passengers bread.

It's not a fleetwide change, but in the past couple of years, we have seen a bread basket on the table from time to time.

The mention of having more then two seating times might be a good way as previously mentioned. Then people can choose the times they wish to eat. perhaps then the wait staff wouldn't be so rushed. I also agree with having rolls we won't break our teeth on. Many times it is the work force who can provide better solutions since they are the ones doing all the work. We would have monthly meetings at work by depts to offer suggestions.

I agree with fewer tables per server, mostly for the benefit of the server. I nearly always have EXCELLENT service in the MDR. I do MyTime Dining. I sure don't want THAT to go away! I like that they try to keep people in the same area. When I've made standing reservations (same time each night), they have often assigned us a table for the week.

Go back to the assistant waiter bringing a bread basket around and offering a choice between 5-6 breads including SAVORY BITES.

Has the bread basket stopped? It's two years since we last cruised RCI but going back to them soon. Let's hope it makes a comeback before September!

Agree with lots of you regarding more waiters so that service can be more personal.

Also dress code for those who prefer the more formal set dining and a more relaxed code for MTD.

Pepper shakers that actually have pepper come out of them when you shake them. I get carpal tunnel from shaking the damn things trying to get a decent amount of pepper to come out. One evening I took the bottom plug out of the pepper shaker to get the pepper out. Also bring the drawn butter out at the same time as the lobster tail and the horseradish at the same time with the prime rib.

I agree. The condiments SHOULD be served with the entree. By the time they arrive the food is cold.

I personally have not seen the staffing issues. We always book late assigned seating though. Lots of empty tables and that seems to free up the staff for us. Is that the secret? Can't help but think the other negative posts here are those who are assigned early seating or use my time dining.

We generally book late seating and like you we have noticed the mdr is not crowded at all. Overall we have been satisfied with the service

I agree. The condiments SHOULD be served with the entree. By the time they arrive the food is cold.

I’d almost swear they do it like that so they have another opportunity to provide service, not realizing that getting them at the same time would BE good service. Show over substance. This is something more assistants would help resolve.

How will enforcing the dress code solve the "more wait staff" problem?

I would estimate, and in my opinion only based on the "dress code threads", you'd have a LOT more people opt to go to Windjammer so they can stay in their "comfortable" clothes, thus eliminating some of the numbers in the main dining room. (not a judgement on how anyone chooses or feels comfortable dressing for dinner)

Fewer people, staff to customer % goes up.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518865

36 pages and counting so far on this one.............

Edited by NateUpNorth

I would estimate, and in my opinion only based on the "dress code threads", you'd have a LOT more people opt to go to Windjammer so they can stay in their "comfortable" clothes, thus eliminating some of the numbers in the main dining room. (not a judgement on how anyone chooses or feels comfortable dressing for dinner)

Fewer people, staff to customer % goes up.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518865

36 pages and counting so far on this one.............

OK, fair enough. I wasn't sure what your angle was, but that does make sense.