Medical Problem Caused us to Disembark Early; Kudos to HAL for all their assistance!

westcoastcruiser

We were on a 25 day cruise and almost 3 weeks into it my husband became very ill. We saw the ship's physician twice and she was amazing. Spent more than adequate time with us reviewing our options and answering our questions. Because we were going to be at sea for 5-6 days, with essentially no advanced medical care available to us, the decision was made to disembark at our last port.

HAL's guest services was outstanding! They stepped in and offered to assist in any and all ways - including even helping us pack, if needed. Assistance in booking airline reservations was also offered if we so desired. A folder was given to us with all the information we needed to file a claim with our travel insurance - yes, we always purchase it!

Luggage assistance was provided and in a short span of time we were safely delivered to the airport for our journey home. Specific instructions were provided should we need medical care at various stages in our return home.

We arrived home without the need for additional medical intervention. Since then we have seen our family physician, undergone testing and received results. Full recovery is expected and my husband is much improved. The decision to disembark early was the correct one for us.

HAL even called us upon our return home to inquire about my husband. And I have had to contact HAL regarding a minor paperwork issue and the response was prompt.

My story is definitely one of "the best of a bad situation". Thank you to HAL for calmly guiding us through this matter. Every person we had contact with was helpful, competent and went above and beyond. :halo::ship:

I am glad that your husband is better. I am also delighted to hear, that a cruise line was able to show empathy and support in a context not including a benefit for them.

On these boards we hear a lot of criticism about money pinching. Yet, when health fails at sea, we need to be supported.

Bravo to HAL for the support provided during the cruise and for following up after the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am glad that your husband is better. I am also delighted to hear, that a cruise line was able to show empathy and support in a context not including a benefit for them.

On these boards we hear a lot of criticism about money pinching. Yet, when health fails at sea, we need to be supported.

Bravo to HAL for the support provided during the cruise and for following up after the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your comment captures my exact reason for posting. Too often we hear of things a cruise line has done incorrectly or not as we wanted or expected. HAL was definitely there when we needed them and exceeded our expectations and I felt it important to let others know.

Very sorry about your Dh's illness and cutting short your cruis but very appreciative for your post. It was so kind of you to share with us the wonderful help HAL provided you at a time when I am sure it wsas most welcome. It is reauring to knnow the practical assistance y ou received.

Wishing your DH and you the best of good health and safe, healh tful travels in the future.

What a great post.

Happy to hear that HAL helped and even happier that your DH is better.

A few years ago, one of our roll call members had to be evacuated. The reports of what HAl did to help by them were very good. Very happy to hear that this is one thing that remains constant :)

So glad to hear that "all's well that ends well!" Best wishes for continued good health to you both.

It's also comforting to hear that HAL is capable of this level of extraordinary service and care we all hope never to use. As I travel with my aging FIL on long cruises, I'm rather keen to know that HAL can step up and deliver in this way when needed.

• 3 weeks later...
We were on a 25 day cruise and almost 3 weeks into it my husband became very ill. We saw the ship's physician twice and she was amazing. Spent more than adequate time with us reviewing our options and answering our questions. Because we were going to be at sea for 5-6 days, with essentially no advanced medical care available to us, the decision was made to disembark at our last port.

HAL's guest services was outstanding! They stepped in and offered to assist in any and all ways - including even helping us pack, if needed. Assistance in booking airline reservations was also offered if we so desired. A folder was given to us with all the information we needed to file a claim with our travel insurance - yes, we always purchase it!

Luggage assistance was provided and in a short span of time we were safely delivered to the airport for our journey home. Specific instructions were provided should we need medical care at various stages in our return home.

We arrived home without the need for additional medical intervention. Since then we have seen our family physician, undergone testing and received results. Full recovery is expected and my husband is much improved. The decision to disembark early was the correct one for us.

HAL even called us upon our return home to inquire about my husband. And I have had to contact HAL regarding a minor paperwork issue and the response was prompt.

My story is definitely one of "the best of a bad situation". Thank you to HAL for calmly guiding us through this matter. Every person we had contact with was helpful, competent and went above and beyond. :halo::ship:

So happy to finally find this--I'm just not an expert on using Cruise Critic. Have been thinking about you two ever since I found out on our cruise that you had had to leave. Sure missed seeing you about the ship and at all our great book discussions but SO GLAD all is well. Was relieved to find that out. And so happy to hear about HAL's part.

Thanks again for your San Diego hotel recommendation. Worked great for us.

It was great meeting you. Happy future cruising!

Sue

So happy to finally find this--I'm just not an expert on using Cruise Critic. Have been thinking about you two ever since I found out on our cruise that you had had to leave. Sure missed seeing you about the ship and at all our great book discussions but SO GLAD all is well. Was relieved to find that out. And so happy to hear about HAL's part.

Thanks again for your San Diego hotel recommendation. Worked great for us.

It was great meeting you. Happy future cruising!

Sue

Hi Sue

So nice of you to post :D

Husband is now fine...and I am so grateful. Sad we missed the end of the cruise but we made the right choice disembarking.

Our flight arrived San Diego late in the evening so we stayed at the same hotel again. This time we got a room like your husband said “that was a little tired”... I later learned that are part way through the renovations. The post remodeled rooms are a whole lot nicer!

Maybe our cruise paths will cross again...

Claire