Bringing food onboard

Why would you want to bring food on board? Just saying...

Food allergies maybe. In our case, my oldest son has celiac disease and has to eat gluten free, without cross contamination. While we are confident with RCCL's ability to provide safe food for him, we cannot be so sure about his options once on shore. For us it's not a matter of brining whole meals aboard, but safe gluten free snacks that he can eat in port until we can get back on the ship and serve him safely.

We take on nuts and certain candies for the cabin while we're getting ready. Have brought, in the past, smoked sausage, cheeses and crackers when in a group for entertaining. Never had a problem. But they were sealed when we brought them on board.

One thing to keep in mind. When you go on shore, you likely can't take any fruits or veggies off the ship. Countries are very strict regarding food being brought into their countries due to potential bug infestation, etc. So make sure you have sealed snacks to take ashore.

Food allergies maybe. In our case, my oldest son has celiac disease and has to eat gluten free, without cross contamination. While we are confident with RCCL's ability to provide safe food for him, we cannot be so sure about his options once on shore. For us it's not a matter of brining whole meals aboard, but safe gluten free snacks that he can eat in port until we can get back on the ship and serve him safely.

I have Celiac, and on my first cruise post-diagnosis (last March), I took an arsenal worth of snacks, from crackers and cookies to hummus and peanut butter, even GF soy sauce packets. No one even blinked an eye.

But the chances of anyone checking is smaller than a pinhead.

However, if you walk onboard with a 2 foot diameter veggie tray from the local supermarket, that's kind of hard to disguise. And I wouldn't want to think of what that veggie tray in a checked bag would look like when it got to the cabin.

I have often taken food on board the ship and to date not had a problem. I don't take things like fruit and veg. Anything else like dry Indian snacks, peanuts, chips etc. are fine IME.

One reason for taking these is to be able to snack in your cabin, especially on embarkation day, sitting on the balcony. The other is that if at port stop, I like to buy unusual food items to take home or eat on board. Things like pastries, chocolate etc. have not been a problem. I have not taken on board items like cheese or meat products.

Having your own snacks is also useful given that food options are limited after 9:30 on RCL ships. Yes you can order room service but I prefer not to and it is not always to my taste.

As a rule, I don't take fresh food items off the ship at ports.

Oh how rude! You cannot get dips and chips and stuff on the ship.

I didn't think it was a rude response. Plenty of chips etc. on the ship. You can make up a plate in the Windjammer with snacks. Depending on ship/location bags of chips available with a sandwich at no charge. I can't imagine bringing a deli tray - what about refrigeration, health rules, etc.

Packaged nuts, candy, crackers are easy to pack and bring on board. The emphasis on packaged.

Are you allowed to bring food onboard for sail away?... like veggie tray, picky stuff like that, chips, dips, etc?

I would bet you can get chips on board. If not for free in the WJ or other locations, then likely in one of the gift shops. For veggies, have you considered making a plate up from the WJ? They likely have a good selection, along with ranch or other dressings to dip. You could also make a nice cheese plate from the WJ and bring it back to your cabin for sail away.