what else do the "confiscate/hold" from ports of call

I know if I buy bottles of liquor... rum, etc. they will take it from me at re-boarding and hold it until debarkation. What else are you not allowed to bring back to your cabin? Is packaged food like "rum cake" allowed to be brought back to your cabin?

Not that I would encourage this but should I happen to purchase a bottle of rum or such item and after it goes thru the scanner,,,, if the crew at the table are busy,, I might just forget to stop by and just go straight to the stairwell.

Ulu knives from Alaskan cruise

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

OMG! That is so funny you mentioned this... It happened to my Mother In Law on our first cruise. But it was the airline that took it from her (she had put it in her carry on!!! What the heck was she thinking???!!!) The cruise line didn't give a darn about her bringing it on board. Granted this was quite a while ago.

This is sort of related....is there an issue taking things off the boat? We thought about taking baggies and few things because shuttles are often long to excursions and I don't want to become car sick.

They don't want you to take food off the ship. At Cozumel, they have dogs checking for food.

In the past, we've seen tables both going off the ship and returning full of baggies and food items that have been confiscated. You'll be walking past dogs sniffing for contraband and your bags will be subject to scanning. Wish I could remember the port, but we had a family with a couple of small kids try to get on the ship with a couple of live small turtles. Hint: If something in your backpack is wiggling.......

Not that I would encourage this but should I happen to purchase a bottle of rum or such item and after it goes thru the scanner,,,, if the crew at the table are busy,, I might just forget to stop by and just go straight to the stairwell.

THIS.. Was in Cozumel and bought some Almond Tequila, delicious by the way, coming back to the ship. put it on the scanner. Not a word was said by the screener. Picked up my package and walked to my cabin. I had no intentions of opening it and drinking it. I already had the drink package and I just didn't see the point of going to the confiscation table.

My wife grabbed a handful of small shells and put them in a pocket of my backpack. No one said a word. Could be because they were so small. Don't know.

Must have been the size. Obviously they will not set off the metal detector. My brother's conch shell was denied boarding in St. Thomas.

In the past, we've seen tables both going off the ship and returning full of baggies and food items that have been confiscated. You'll be walking past dogs sniffing for contraband and your bags will be subject to scanning. Wish I could remember the port, but we had a family with a couple of small kids try to get on the ship with a couple of live small turtles. Hint: If something in your backpack is wiggling.......

Were they emotional support turtles?

Were they emotional support turtles?

Were they in a suite with a bath tub that the turtles could swim in or were they just going to place them into the main swimming pool?

Hope the family got a kick in the bum for that. Idiots

Lot's of people (kids etc) try to take shells and sand from Labadee, they confiscate this.

Really? I picked up several pieces of coral that had washed up on the beach that I put in my backpack and nothing was said. Didn’t even think it wouldn’t be ok to bring shells and coral pieces back to the ship.

We were behind a gal with a backpack chock full of white rocks from Grand Turk. It was HOT and the backpack was heavy. She went to all that effort only to have them confiscated. Made me feel a little better about her cutting line in front of us:evilsmile:

So, on a trip in 2013 to Marigot on the French side of St. Maarten we love to shop at the little Pylones store there on the Main Street. So we bought a set similar to this picture.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Wellington/i-FwHC9dM/0/2f47e361/M/4555BE1F-BDBD-4796-9A33-83052747B8B6-M.png

Friends loved our salad tongs and we bought them a set in 2015. Of course they confiscated them. They are mostly plastic with a thin stainless fork and spoon. I am pretty certain that if you tried to stab someone with them they would break before you broke skin.

JC