Carnival Legend Bloodbath Brawl - more bad media coverage for cruising

kazbar

23 off loaded, including 4 arrested.

As to the video I watched, apparent kicking of people was done by crew in white uniforms as well as at least 1 with a security tee shirt.

As I said in regard to the kicking, survival instinct/red mist would come into play.

Even with training unless you are dealing with situations like that all the time the training is probably going to go out the window. Plus the moderate resistance involved in training is completely different to a group of imbeciles hell bent on causing havoc, punching, kicking, biting and grabbing you in places you don’t want to be grabbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Folks

Well its not OAP's fighting over Zimmer frames this time .

My daughter was on board the Legends Christmas cruise and her reports caused me to cancel our cruise on the 5th March , I took a bit of a loss on that as it was a special and it was not just a loss of deposit but a great deal more.

However it does look as I have made the correct decision as I would not wish to cruise with the load of absolute bogans that seem to be on board Carnival Legend

I would not wish to expose my family to such risks, the behavior of both crew and passengers in the film clips I have seen as nothing short of disgusting.

If this is what happens on a carnival cruise in Australia then good riddance to them .

Perhaps it is time for Carnival Cruise lines to reconsider its place in the Australian market , I for one would not wish to be on one of their ships after seeing this disgraceful incident.

for my part I dont wish to cruise with people under 30 y/o and certainly none of their children, many of whom are totally out of control

So Adults only and a min age of 30 y/o would make a good starting point Carnival , and I would wager you would sail with full ships of very happy old pensioner types and make a huge profit without any of the hassles involved with "Young People"

Slightly tounge in cheek but not totally

Regards

John

Our cruise on Carnival, November 2016, was completely the opposite. Happy people enjoying their cruise. One noisy wedding party in the Piano Bar one night but not offensively noisy. Most of the kids we saw were well behaved, with one or two exceptions which appear to be lack of parental control. OK, we tended to hang out in the Serenity area, had late dining so the bars were relatively quiet before dinner, we always ate in the MDR apart from one dinner at the speciality restaurant, and we hung out at the Piano Bar most nights or went to the late show.

Realistically, although the odds would be fairly low, you could get a group like that on any cruise line. They could equally have chosen a Golden Princess cruise out of Melbourne instead of Carnival and with Princess having drinks packages things might have been even worse.

It was obviously a very nasty situation, but no different to what probably happens in pubs around the country at times. Pub brawls rarely get reported on these days but cruise ships are fair game for the media.

It was a very foolish person who video taped it with their mobile. Very foolish indeed. That is only asking for trouble and putting himself out as a target. Not only was he congesting an area where staff had to do their job to control a situation but he was also distracting the security crew who should have been on top of the unruly passengers. It is a wonder he was not detained by the crew for the distraction posed.

On our 2nd ever cruise with RCI there was an incident and a group offloaded in Noumea. It was even back when men wore tuxedos and suits on formal night. Two fighting families supposedly caused broken teeth/nose in the nightclub.

But there was no local media speculation because they were offloaded in Noumea. And we did have an otherwise great cruise.

I’m sure it happens more often than we think, thinking even laundry rage! :o

But thats not saying this behaviour is acceptable at all.

Edited by megsie

I’m booked on that ship to the Pacific islands next January. Wondering if I should stick with cruising with Royal Caribbean?

Don't think eery Carnival cruise will have bogan grubs on board and particularly in such large numbers remember they were two families who knew each other so they brought their attitude on board Nothing to do with any cruise line

I have cruised on Carnival legend and spirit several times and had amazing anmd peaceful cruises Try it out

Don't think eery Carnival cruise will have bogan grubs on board and particularly in such large numbers remember they were two families who knew each other so they brought their attitude on board Nothing to do with any cruise line

I have cruised on Carnival legend and spirit several times and had amazing anmd peaceful cruises Try it out

Thank you for your reassurance! It looks like a great fun ship.

Just wondering if the ashes of bad ex passengers get out in those giant urns......

Hi Folks

Perhaps the description "FUN SHIPS" is outdated and needs to be changed , In Australia I think "FUN" has a different meaning and also has changed over the years

if FUN means drinking that much that we loose our sense of reality than for one I dont want any FUN

Seriously Carnival needs to look at its customer demographics , as a retired old , slightly cranky person I just dont want anything to do with this FUN , when I go on a cruise I want a peaceful relaxing holiday

The reports that my daughter sent me in regards to her families Christmas cruise on board Carnival Legend convinced me that Carnival Australia was not for me , I have outgrown singing and dancing waiters each night and prefer a more sophisticated environment ... My choice I agree , and I was prepared to admit my mistake when I booked the march 5th sailing , my mistake my loss my fault , but when I see the behavior of both STAFF / CREW and passengers in these incidents the 1k loss seems nothing but well spent to prevent my loved ones being anywhere near the people on board Legend on this cruise .

This entire incident should have been nipped in the bud , no passenger should ever lay hands on any crew member.

In the fight there was a totall loss on control by the security who seemed more concearned to stop anyone filming

When the family group was removed from the ship they showed no remorse it was all just one big joke... Bogans makes them look good .. they are total loosers

Carnival failed to provide a calm and safe envrionment for the other passengers , its security staff showed lack of training an leadership in this incident

I was prepared to give carnival a go but after my daughters reports and this incident I will take a great deal of convincing to tust my loved ones on a Carnival Ship

Regards

John

Media coverage showing cruisng in a negative light has become a bit of a common occurrence (even if the facts don't always reflect the headline). Here is the latest.

The Legend is due in to Melbourne tomorrow morning

Passengers on a 10-day cruise to the South Pacific have described it as a "cruise from hell" after alleging ongoing violence between two groups.

One passenger claims that violence has erupted on several occasions with threats made to stab and throw people overboard.

"We are so scared after witnessing a traumatic experience with yet again the same offenders. It was a bloodbath."

"We will not be leaving our cabins and are truly scared for our safety and what could happen in the next," a passenger told 9News.

The ship's operator Carnival Cruise Line has issued a statement saying: "The vast majority of the guests onboard Carnival Legend are enjoying their 10-day cruise holiday to the South Pacific."

"The ship's highly trained security staff have engaged with a small group of disruptive guests and ensured that they are fully aware of and are compliant with our zero tolerance policy."

This strong approach is in line with our commitment to safety as the number one priority.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/02/16/06/29/carnival-legend-bloodbath-on-cruise-from-hell

I will not be cruising with P&O, Princess, or Royal Caribbean.

If I do go on another cruise I will be paying more and going on a more upmarket ship because hopefully the bogans will not want to pay that type of money.

I would be furious if I have saved and paid good money to go on a cruise and the Captain has to turn the ship around to go into port because of this type of behaviour. I would be chasing a refund; but I know that would be futile.

This incident is about to be reported on “A Current Affair”.

Thanks! Nothing new reported.

Did anyone else notice that the man in the red & orange shorts was in both videos?

The ship is still at anchor @ Eden, NSW. Will be a late arrival into Melbourne, so some more cranky passengers.:(:o

Ports of Melbourne arrivals have her down for 10.15 ,

Carnival Legend (P) 17/2/18 10:15 Noumea Station Pier Outer West

The Captain will have her "full steam ahead" to make up time.

Hi Folks

Perhaps the description "FUN SHIPS" is outdated and needs to be changed , In Australia I think "FUN" has a different meaning and also has changed over the years

if FUN means drinking that much that we loose our sense of reality than for one I dont want any FUN

Seriously Carnival needs to look at its customer demographics , as a retired old , slightly cranky person I just dont want anything to do with this FUN , when I go on a cruise I want a peaceful relaxing holiday

The reports that my daughter sent me in regards to her families Christmas cruise on board Carnival Legend convinced me that Carnival Australia was not for me , I have outgrown singing and dancing waiters each night and prefer a more sophisticated environment ... My choice I agree , and I was prepared to admit my mistake when I booked the march 5th sailing , my mistake my loss my fault , but when I see the behavior of both STAFF / CREW and passengers in these incidents the 1k loss seems nothing but well spent to prevent my loved ones being anywhere near the people on board Legend on this cruise .

This entire incident should have been nipped in the bud , no passenger should ever lay hands on any crew member.

In the fight there was a totall loss on control by the security who seemed more concearned to stop anyone filming

When the family group was removed from the ship they showed no remorse it was all just one big joke... Bogans makes them look good .. they are total loosers

Carnival failed to provide a calm and safe envrionment for the other passengers , its security staff showed lack of training an leadership in this incident

I was prepared to give carnival a go but after my daughters reports and this incident I will take a great deal of convincing to tust my loved ones on a Carnival Ship

Regards

John

totally agree. the management by staff was on display in that video. violence by anyone is never acceptable. not a cruise line we would ever travel with. we value a safe environment and staff who are trained to maintain that outcome. kicking and punching anyone is assault no excuses.

I wonder how many cancellations Carnival will be dealing with after this latest incident?

I’m one of those boring old farts that go cruising strictly for some peace & quiet - don’t drink, don’t party, early to bed, early to rise means I don’t encounter these types even though I may be sharing the same ship.

I have 4 Cruises pre-booked & won’t be cancelling any of them! [emoji4]

This article has an embedded video of some very unpleasant behaviour.

What is notable is the behaviour of security and crew.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/violence-reported-on-cruise-ship-carnival-legend-on-way-to-melbourne-20180216-p4z0jz.html

I am sure there will be some ramifications here although it was just the latest in a string of incidents.

Stuff.co.nz says it was over a thong. If that’s true then seriously??? Some people...

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/101503673/cruise-ship-violence-a-lot-of-people-bleeding-on-ship-bound-for-melbourne

I cannot believe that is true, a kiwi would call it a Jandel.:p Unless they are referring to the other type of thong. :eek:

I'm still getting over the Carnival spokesperson on the news saying it was a single family group.

My definition of hell - travelling with one family member. There are no words I could use to describe travelling with 26 ! I don't think I even have 26 relatives !

Several of the passengers interviewed on Melb news said the "family" were aggressive and picking fights with random people every night and multiple brawls were filmed and reported each night.

So if that's the case they should have been offloaded much earlier.

Re other comments about demographics etc. some of the most abhorrent disgusting drunken behaviour I have ever witnessed in my life (including a decade running pubs) occurred on a $60k Antarctica trip by mature aged billionaire Chinese executives.

So it's not exclusive to young bogans.

I agree they should have been offloaded earlier. On YouTube/3aw there's video of an earlier incident involving the same people, one was very physically aggressive to a crew member - that alone should be grounds for removal. That's what "zero-tolerance" should mean, one strike and you're out, no more chances.

I cannot believe that is true, a kiwi would call it a Jandel.:p Unless they are referring to the other type of thong. :eek:

The site is Fairfax owned and a lot of stories are posted verbatim from Australian newspapers (they name the originating one at the bottom). This one was written for the age. [emoji1037]

But the other thong.... could be kiwi for budgie smugglers you know [emoji6] maybe one of the 27 felt it was their responsibility to make sure they only had a 50% shot of disembarking on foot.

I will not be cruising with P&O, Princess, or Royal Caribbean.

If I do go on another cruise I will be paying more and going on a more upmarket ship because hopefully the bogans will not want to pay that type of money.

I would be furious if I have saved and paid good money to go on a cruise and the Captain has to turn the ship around to go into port because of this type of behaviour. I would be chasing a refund; but I know that would be futile.

I am feeling the same way except I will be cruising with Princess continually for the time being. I also intend to keep Celebrity on my list and may even add Crystal or Regent to my list.

Given the mob mentality and excessive amounts of bogans on cruise ships these days I am more than likely to keep away from the cheaper cruises.

My next cruises booked with Princess this year are in Japan. I am going in the July and October school holidays when I can easily get time off work. At least flying to Japan and adding on the cost of a cruise is enough to out price the bogans from every country.

The site is Fairfax owned and a lot of stories are posted verbatim from Australian newspapers (they name the originating one at the bottom). This one was written for the age. [emoji1037]

But the other thong.... could be kiwi for budgie smugglers you know [emoji6] maybe one of the 27 felt it was their responsibility to make sure they only had a 50% shot of disembarking on foot.

Hop to it and turn the other cheek.;p