I keep hearing Oceania..Why?

Lioncub

We are trying Oceania for the first time. As you can see we have been on other mass market lines and have enjoyed what they offer since they sail from near our home. We were looking for a specific destination(Cuba) and Oceania had the date and itinerary that seemed best. The country club casual atmosphere +the ability to choose what we wish to pay for(no alcohol pkg for us etc) made it an easy choice. From reading on here I am looking forward to the new smaller ship experience. The ports are my main interest.

Thanks to everyone who has been writing on this thread!!

Dining vote for us Red Ginger and the MDR.

And another vote for the supremely comfortable beds with amazing linen, and on the O class ships Marina and Riviera wonderful bathrooms.

Also for us the decor on the O ships, I know the small R class ships have their staunch supporters but for me I really dislike the fake "Downton Abbey" decor. We are trying Azamara again this year to see what their modernised decor is like, but the per diem price compared to O is horrendous!

Hi LC,

>What I see on the cc forums does not inspire me.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Go on your cruise with an open mind.

The worst that can happen is that you will be out a few bucks.

In 50 years it won't matter.

Ira

FWIW We were attracted to O partly because of Olife business air benefits. On our last cruise to Antarctica on Seabourn we traveled coach ATL/BUE and coach SCL/ATL. Both were full flights with no extra seats and we felt horrible upon arrival. Since then we began shopping for business class and found a great deal on AC business class ATL/TYO and are never going back to coach. We booked O on a TA with a return to ATL from BCN and were shocked to find BCN/ATL business class fares triple our ATL/TYO fare. With the Olife air option we are getting a business fare that is 1/3 the cost plus the other Olife benefits. So Olife works for us with O. BTW having been retired almost ten years now my airline miles ran out some time ago.

BTW having been retired almost ten years now my airline miles ran out some time ago.

BTW, there is no such thing as “my airline miles ran out”

If you had paid for your Seabourn & Oceania cruise (plus airfare) with Chase Reserve card you would have earned 3 miles/1 $ spent (ditto all the othe travel and food purchases you made - they add up fast)

We’ve been retired more than 10 years and still earn lots of miles.

Thank you for your response. I’m not sure what to make of it though? In the politest sense. Is the food not a major draw? I am aware of the drinks package situation etc. and your moniker suggests you like a drop of wine, but you have not convinced me that O cruisers like to indulge. I don’t want to go on a deserted ship where people are quietly quaffing their own booze and only appear at happy hour. Connoisseurs I can appreciate, hoards knocking back free booze at open bars is just not me. Or is this a ploy to distract me? [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being a Regent customers that have sailed on Silversea and twice on Oceania, I agree with your "take" on the alcohol situation. Many claim that they do not want to pay for included alcohol as we do on luxury lines (we don't knock back free booze either), yet there are consistently threads asking about how much alcohol they can bring onboard. They are also have a Happy Hour which is so crowded that you would think that they are giving it away instead of giving minute/measured pours making the drinks very weak ....... but they are getting a discount.

We did purchase the Premium Alcohol package onboard and didn't really care if we were drinking enough to warrant the cost - we just wanted to sit in a lounge and leisurely sip our drinks without being in a mob (this meant avoiding the times when Happy Hour was going on). We also enjoy wine at dinner and don't necessarily want a full glass at the end of a meal - maybe just a top up ..... something that can't be done if you are purchasing the wine by the glass with the 18% tip. We absolutely will not sit in our suite drinking so that we can save money.

On the issue of food, Jacques is likely the best restaurant at sea. Regent and Silversea can't touch that restaurant (food is subjective - I'm not even a French food person but love Jacques). However, we found the food in the MDR very disappointing and had a couple of incidents with food in the Terrace Cafe that made us decide to try to avoid that restaurant at all costs. The food looks great but the quality isn't always there. Plus, you can not serve yourself on Oceania. While Oceania passengers state that this is to prevent norovirus and other illnesses, Oceania has had more cases than Regent and Silversea put together (verifiable by checking out CDC statistics).

While it sounds as if I am bashing Oceania - I do think that the ships are gorgeous (specifically the new ones - we toured the older ones and did not care for the tiny bathrooms, etc.). The service is also excellent. And, to be fair, food is subjective (although subjectivity had nothing to do with our issues in the Terrace Cafe).

In terms of the three premium plus cruise lines, Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean, Viking Ocean gets the highest reviews - even from luxury cruisers that have tried it. For us - we will stick with Regent as it is where we are the most comfortable.

Sorry for the long post but you were hitting on issues that I obviously have strong opinions on.

It is probably because they rise early and retire early and the itineraries tend to be port intensive. It will vary by cruise but it is generally quiet after the show in the evening. You are wise to ask and read reviews to set your expectations.

I think the port-intensive thing is an important point. We like to catch a show or a band with a cocktail or two.... but.... on our 21 day cruise on Marina this fall, there is not a single, solitary sea day. It's 21 days of ports. I can pretty much guarantee we won't be seen much after 9:30 at night for just that reason.

BTW, there is no such thing as “my airline miles ran out”

If you had paid for your Seabourn & Oceania cruise (plus airfare) with Chase Reserve card you would have earned 3 miles/1 $ spent (ditto all the othe travel and food purchases you made - they add up fast)

We’ve been retired more than 10 years and still earn lots of miles.

We use our Costco card. No miles but travel insurance, etc.

https://www.fool.com/credit-cards/2017/09/05/is-the-costco-credit-card-worth-it.aspx

I want to see the itinerary of that 21 day cruise with no sea days. Don’t want to call BS, but that’s not typical of Oceania. Even on 10 day cruises you get one sea day, whether operationally needed or not!

Which 21 day Marina cruise, without a sea day, are you taking!!!

I want to see the itinerary of that 21 day cruise with no sea days. Don’t want to call BS, but that’s not typical of Oceania. Even on 10 day cruises you get one sea day, whether operationally needed or not!

It’s actually 2. First is a 7 day, leaving Oct 26, then the next is a 14 day leaving Nov 2. No sea days in either.

Actually you have s sea day on 10/31 called “sailing the Ionian Sea. Your second leg of the b2b doesn’t have a sea day but 3 days in port in Monaco which approaches a sea day! Actually that itinerary of those very closely place town on the Riv looks nice!

Concerning the s Terrace Cafe, for dinner it is my least favorite venue. That’s only opinion, but what is fact is there is a HUGE difference between the Terrace Cafe offerings on O ships vs R ships, and any blanket comments about the two are far off.

Concerning the s Terrace Cafe, for dinner it is my least favorite venue. That’s only opinion, but what is fact is there is a HUGE difference between the Terrace Cafe offerings on O ships vs R ships, and any blanket comments about the two are far off.

Would you please be more specific as we are booked on two of the R class ships, Sirena and Nautica, this year, besides a 44 day cruise on the Riviera after those 2, and would like to know in your opinion which Terrace Cafe is better, the R class or the O class.

Oct 26 Fri Venice, Italy

Oct 27 Sat Ravenna, Italy

Oct 28 Sun Zadar, Croatia

Oct 29 Mon Kotor, Montenegro

Oct 30 Tue Corfu, Greece

Oct 31 Wed Messina (Sicily), Italy

Nov 1 Thu Naples/Pompeii, Italy

Nov 2 Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Nov 3 Sat Portofino, Italy

Nov 4 Sun Olbia/Porto Cervo (Sardinia), Italy

Nov 5 Mon Bandol, France

Nov 6 Tue Toulon, France

Nov 7 Wed Saint-Tropez, France

Nov 8 Thu Monte Carlo, Monaco

Nov 9 Fri Monte Carlo, Monaco

Nov 10 Sat Antibes, France

Nov 11 Sun Portofino, Italy

Nov 12 Mon Florence/Pisa/Tuscany (Livorno), Italy

Nov 13 Tue Ajaccio (Corsica), France

Nov 14 Wed Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Nov 15 Thu Valencia, Spain

Nov 16 Fri Barcelona, Spain

Edited by Kate-AHF
formatting

Ken, I can see why the Terrace Buffet is preferred on Marina/Riviera as opposed to the "R" ships. I feel the same way.

For us, it's largely a matter of space. The big ships are much larger (1250 passengers to 684) and so is the buffet space. They added a grill area on the "R" ships once they became so popular on Marina/Riviera, but there are far more options on the bigger ships.

Which shouldn't be a surprise!

For us, it's not that the food is noticeably better on the newer ships ... it's that there are more options. And it's easier to find a table when the venue is crowded.

Mura

Ken, I can see why the Terrace Buffet is preferred on Marina/Riviera as opposed to the "R" ships. I feel the same way.

For us, it's largely a matter of space. The big ships are much larger (1250 passengers to 684) and so is the buffet space. They added a grill area on the "R" ships once they became so popular on Marina/Riviera, but there are far more options on the bigger ships.

Which shouldn't be a surprise!

For us, it's not that the food is noticeably better on the newer ships ... it's that there are more options. And it's easier to find a table when the venue is crowded.

Mura

That makes sense. Glad to hear they've installed the grill area on the "R" ships. It's always nice to have that option when the entrees aren't as enticing as they usually are.

To each their own but I hope that the Costco card gives you more than $20K cancellation insurance (as the Reserve does, in addition to all the miles)

Gets worse

The "C" rewards can only be used at their store

Must use their TA to get the insurance coverage. I want to use my agent. I have a CC that I get 9 points if I use their TA and still prefer not to.

Quick look and "50,000 Accident Sickness Medical Expense"

What other conditions like how long of a delay to be covered as a delay. How long is the look-back period for a pre-existing condition waiver, etc, etc

Doesn't work for me.

I might buy a vacation direct and maybe not use a TA: if I make a mistake it is just not what I expected, my mistake but got a vacation. But I have always bought independent travel insurance, even when I have had CC coverage, as I want to minimize the risk for what could be a bankrupting event. Some posters self-insurance. To each their own as long as we know what we are buying and accept the risks. I spend the money for peace of mind. Some will say I am foolish. I am okay with that - that would make me a happy fool.

Apologies for continuing OT

Edited by YoHoHo
Add my OT apology

Thank you for your response. I’m not sure what to make of it though? In the politest sense. Is the food not a major draw? I am aware of the drinks package situation etc. and your moniker suggests you like a drop of wine, but you have not convinced me that O cruisers like to indulge. I don’t want to go on a deserted ship where people are quietly quaffing their own booze and only appear at happy hour. Connoisseurs I can appreciate, hoards knocking back free booze at open bars is just not me. Or is this a ploy to distract me? [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We frequent Martini's Bar regularly. Yet, we do bring wine aboard -particularly from our home port of SF (or anywhere that we can find what we have in our cellar at home - stuff that would cost you a pretty penny on any line assuming they even had it).

Oct 26 Fri Venice, Italy

Oct 27 Sat Ravenna, Italy

Oct 28 Sun Zadar, Croatia

Oct 29 Mon Kotor, Montenegro

Oct 30 Tue Corfu, Greece

Oct 31 Wed Messina (Sicily), Italy

Nov 1 Thu Naples/Pompeii, Italy

Nov 2 Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Nov 3 Sat Portofino, Italy

Nov 4 Sun Olbia/Porto Cervo (Sardinia), Italy

Nov 5 Mon Bandol, France

Nov 6 Tue Toulon, France

Nov 7 Wed Saint-Tropez, France

Nov 8 Thu Monte Carlo, Monaco

Nov 9 Fri Monte Carlo, Monaco

Nov 10 Sat Antibes, France

Nov 11 Sun Portofino, Italy

Nov 12 Mon Florence/Pisa/Tuscany (Livorno), Italy

Nov 13 Tue Ajaccio (Corsica), France

Nov 14 Wed Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Nov 15 Thu Valencia, Spain

Nov 16 Fri Barcelona, Spain

Well, they give you the morning off in Palma - for good behaviour!

Frances