Air Conditioning in Balcony Rooms?

There are two different AC systems in use on the ship. One is like a window AC unit at home, that merely takes the cabin air and cools it while recirculating it back to the cabin. This is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and by the balcony door interlock, if fitted. This system is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin's volume each hour.

The second AC system is the one that is affected by the balcony door being open, and that affects the cabins around yours when you leave the door open. This system is not controllable from the cabin, and can not be shut off. This system is designed to bring fresh air into the cabin, about 20% of the volume per hour, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust vent, which removes about 20% per hour. This system takes outside fresh air, cools it in a large air handler (in those big white spaces down the middle of most cabin decks), and supplies this air to all of the cabins in a particular fire zone (between those pesky doors in the passageway) for one or two decks, meaning one fan and cooler handles 30-50 cabins. Now, this air is sent to the cabin at a higher pressure than normal HVAC systems, for one reason. This "overpressures" the cabins, forcing any leakage at the door to go out into the passageway, not the other way around. This prevents any possible smoke ingress to your cabin in an emergency.

Now, what happens when you open your balcony door? You replace the 2" diameter bathroom vent, and the 3/4" x 3' crack under the door that maintains the pressure balance in the cabin, with a 3' x 6' opening to outside. This immediately drops the cabin pressure to atmospheric, and the fresh air supply AC system sends all of the air to your cabin trying to rebuild the over pressure. This means that the other cabins lose much of their supply of fresh air (cooled), and also their overpressure safety feature, and now air is drawn back into their cabins from under the door, from the passageway (warmer). Therefore, the other cabins in the zone lose some of their AC capacity, and start getting warmer air supplied to the cabin.

How can you tell if this is happening? Real simple. I used to do it daily when I worked on cruise ships. You walk down the passageway, and listen for the air whistling under a door. 99 times out of 100, I would find the balcony door open in that cabin. Also, if it is your cabin with the door open, when you open the door to the passageway, you will create a wind tunnel, that blows everything out of your cabin. It doesn't do this when the balcony door is closed, so the door being open obviously has an effect on the AC balance in other areas than your cabin.

Your humble opinion may think it is BS, but I've worked on ships for 42 years as an engineer, 35 as Chief Engineer, and I have intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems. Yes, there is a proven effect on others from having your balcony door open, and I've had to deal with it constantly over the years I worked cruise ships, when we would get whole banks of cabins complaining about their AC.

I have so many questions...where to begin?

What temp is the ventilation air delivered at...neutralish...like 68-70?

What code is building cruise ships held to? Without doing the math I am guessing ventilation for a standard room is about 50ish cfm...so you exhaust 25-30 cfm for the bathroom for code...which also maintains slightly positive pressure. Why not operate this all as a constant for the cabins? Why increase supply when a balcony door opens?

Are the corridors fed off the same system? Are the stateroom walls all fire rated...I'm assuming so. I've never noticed the door undercut...but why is this there when there is constant exhaust from the bathrooms?

Balcony doors are a known "problem"...so why not design this problem out of the system? Similar to what they have done with the switches on the balcony doors to shut off the room AC...instead of cooling the outdoors they found a way to stop that. That way if somebody does have their door open, the only affect is that your exhaust temp will rise a little and you will not get as much heat transfer at the HEX (are they wheels or air-to-air) of the air handler and thus will use more chilled water. Not having an adverse affect on the conditioning or surrounding spaces.

And what is the air conditioning system in the individual rooms designed for. They should have enough capacity in them to cool the room if the EAT rises to say 80ish degrees

Am I the only trying to figure out how someone sleeps with the balcony door open? Everytime we open the door in any of the rooms we are in, it feels like I am going to be sucked out to sea! I can't imagine sleeping with the door open and the vacuum it creates... We had an aft balcony last cruise with loungers and my oldest decided he enjoyed sleeping on the balcony. So, he slept outside with the door shut.

What code is building cruise ships held to? Without doing the math I am guessing ventilation for a standard room is about 50ish cfm...so you exhaust 25-30 cfm for the bathroom for code...which also maintains slightly positive pressure. Why not operate this all as a constant for the cabins? Why increase supply when a balcony door opens?

Are the corridors fed off the same system? Are the stateroom walls all fire rated...I'm assuming so. I've never noticed the door undercut...but why is this there when there is constant exhaust from the bathrooms?

Balcony doors are a known "problem"...so why not design this problem out of the system? Similar to what they have done with the switches on the balcony doors to shut off the room AC...instead of cooling the outdoors they found a way to stop that. That way if somebody does have their door open, the only affect is that your exhaust temp will rise a little and you will not get as much heat transfer at the HEX (are they wheels or air-to-air) of the air handler and thus will use more chilled water. Not having an adverse affect on the conditioning or surrounding spaces.

And what is the air conditioning system in the individual rooms designed for. They should have enough capacity in them to cool the room if the EAT rises to say 80ish degrees

If air is delivered at 70, you will have a serious humidity problem, unless the use reheat.

And the balcony door open, reduces the pressure, therefore more air will flow into the room.

OK - but the system will have to live with our door being open - that is just too important for us!:cool:

We seldom sail in hot weather anyway!:halo:

Eureka! It took four pages and 64 posts to get there, but the truth comes out. Nothing like watching someone argue and try to justify his position for hours and then cave to the facts and admit it's really just intentionally selfish behavior.

"I leave my balcony door open because I like it."

"What's that? It negatively impacts other people? I don't believe you."

"Well, you can't *prove* there is a negative impact. This is too important to me to change without proof."

"What's that, you say? There *is* proof? Please explain."

"You have not explained well enough."

"Nope. Still not getting it."

"..."

"Oh, I see. Looks like I was wrong."

"Never mind, then. I never intended to change, regardless."

"I am all about me, no one else."

The fresh air is delivered at around 55*F

The ships are built to the code of whichever classification society they are built to. Class societies are like insurance underwriters.

Cabin AC is designed to supply 20% of the cabin volume per hour. So, let's say you have a cabin with 150 sq. ft., which is about 1050 cu. ft. 20% of this is 210 cfh or about 3.5cfm. When a balcony door is opened, you don't intentionally increase air flow to that cabin, it happens, because the system cannot maintain the positive pressure with a 18 sq. ft. opening (the balcony door) open. Therefore, that cabin has less backpressure in the supply duct than all the other cabins, so the air flows just the way everything in the world does, to the path of least resistance (lowest backpressure).

The passageways, for the most part, do not have AC supply, they only have exhaust, so there is always air flow under the doors from the cabins to the passageways, to balance the overpressure in the cabins and the underpressure in the passageways. The stateroom bulkheads are rated A-15 (meaning an uncontrolled fire on one side will burn through in no less than 15 minutes). The decks and the fire bulkheads at the fire zone boundaries (where the doors are in the passageways) are rated A-60.

The problem with shutting off the fresh air supply when a balcony door is opened is far different than shutting off the individual cabin AC by the door switch. This switch turns off the fan and solenoid valve for the chilled water for just that cabin, so there is no change to any air flow balance anywhere on the ship (that cooler/fan assembly only recirculates air within the cabin). To shut off the supply air, you would need to have a motorized damper at every single cabin, and then a means of measuring the air flow and pressure in the system, real time, to adjust the supply air fan speed, or modulate all the other cabin dampers in that zone to balance out without the air flow to the one cabin. This would be horrifically expensive to implement. Plus, if you shut off the supply air, but left the bathroom exhaust going, it would draw in outside air through the balcony door, raising the temperature and humidity of the cabin.

Just like your AC at home, if you leave it off for a while, and then come home to a hot house, and fire the AC up, it takes quite a while to bring the temperature down, but once the set temperature is reached, it only cycles on and off to maintain. Same with a ship, but on a much larger scale. The cabin cooler (thermostat controlled) is only designed to maintain a cabin temperature, or change it by a few degrees, not pull down from 80*F to 70*F in any short period of time.

The ships are built to the code of whichever classification society they are built to. Class societies are like insurance underwriters.

Cabin AC is designed to supply 20% of the cabin volume per hour. So, let's say you have a cabin with 150 sq. ft., which is about 1050 cu. ft. 20% of this is 210 cfh or about 3.5cfm. When a balcony door is opened, you don't intentionally increase air flow to that cabin, it happens, because the system cannot maintain the positive pressure with a 18 sq. ft. opening (the balcony door) open. Therefore, that cabin has less backpressure in the supply duct than all the other cabins, so the air flows just the way everything in the world does, to the path of least resistance (lowest backpressure).

The passageways, for the most part, do not have AC supply, they only have exhaust, so there is always air flow under the doors from the cabins to the passageways, to balance the overpressure in the cabins and the underpressure in the passageways. The stateroom bulkheads are rated A-15 (meaning an uncontrolled fire on one side will burn through in no less than 15 minutes). The decks and the fire bulkheads at the fire zone boundaries (where the doors are in the passageways) are rated A-60.

The problem with shutting off the fresh air supply when a balcony door is opened is far different than shutting off the individual cabin AC by the door switch. This switch turns off the fan and solenoid valve for the chilled water for just that cabin, so there is no change to any air flow balance anywhere on the ship (that cooler/fan assembly only recirculates air within the cabin). To shut off the supply air, you would need to have a motorized damper at every single cabin, and then a means of measuring the air flow and pressure in the system, real time, to adjust the supply air fan speed, or modulate all the other cabin dampers in that zone to balance out without the air flow to the one cabin. This would be horrifically expensive to implement. Plus, if you shut off the supply air, but left the bathroom exhaust going, it would draw in outside air through the balcony door, raising the temperature and humidity of the cabin.

Just like your AC at home, if you leave it off for a while, and then come home to a hot house, and fire the AC up, it takes quite a while to bring the temperature down, but once the set temperature is reached, it only cycles on and off to maintain. Same with a ship, but on a much larger scale. The cabin cooler (thermostat controlled) is only designed to maintain a cabin temperature, or change it by a few degrees, not pull down from 80*F to 70*F in any short period of time.

I'm sorry if this sounds weird, but when I see Chengkp75 at the top of a post its like Christmas. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I know I am going to like it.

I'll be in my first aft next year and I was thinking that I would be able to sleep with my door open and listen to the wake of the ship. Thanks to Cheng, I learned about all of this and not to mention the safety hazard. I might just have to sleep in one of the reclining deck chairs if I want to listen to the wake of the ship - while the balcony door is closed! Thanks Cheng for the education.

I'll be in my first aft next year and I was thinking that I would be able to sleep with my door open and listen to the wake of the ship. Thanks to Cheng, I learned about all of this and not to mention the safety hazard. I might just have to sleep in one of the reclining deck chairs if I want to listen to the wake of the ship - while the balcony door is closed! Thanks Cheng for the education.

Pick yourself up a hammock and hang on your balcony...So much more comfortable then any deck chairs. I got mine at Sams Club

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Wow...only 3.5 cfm...why even bother with ventilation. Assuming 150 sq.ft room and occupancy max of 3 people...IMC requires 24 cfm...private bathroom with continuous exhaust requires 25 cfm...so you provide the room with roughly 30 cfm so you maintain a slightly positive pressure. At 3.5 cfm you can get away with delivering that low of ventilation air because 3.5 cfm will have very minimal effect on the space temperature and is not a huge load on the air handling system to cool from design conditions of I assume around a 100+ degrees and 60ish% humidity to 55 degrees.

Why not have balancing dampers on the duct systems...then they create the back pressure on the fan and opening and closing of doors does not affect the system so dramatically.

How much is being exhausted from the each stateroom bathroom? At only 3.5 cfm of make up air to the room...how is the cabin over pressurized? Seems between the bathroom exhaust and the hallway exhaust there is an abundance of exhaust air in comparison to makeup air. Are they using so much exhaust air to create air changes via natural ventilation (open doors)?

Sorry...I wasn't inferring to use the same system as the room AC for the ventilation system. I was just using that as an example of having a control problem (open doors require the more cooling for the room...higher energy cost/usage...higher wear and tear on the systems, etc.) and coming up with a solution to that problem.

I know demand control ventilation is not realistic...very expensive to achieve...and probably more importantly on a cruise ship setting...takes up way to much real estate. And it creates more balancing problems.

I understand this. What I am getting at is that a particular room with its own individual AC system is designed based on a certain set of conditions. Typically aim to achieve a discharge air temperature of around 55 degrees. The design temperature entering the cooling coil in a scenario like this is around 75 degrees...meaning the coil can achieve 20 degree temperature difference. So if in the scenario an adjacent room has their balcony door open and that causes the ambient conditions adjacent to it to rise to say 80 degrees...the room AC should still be able to achieve a discharge air temperature of about 60 degrees...meaning it still should not have any problems cooling the room to 72ish degrees. Yes...it may take a few more minutes...but by and large it should be able to maintain space temp over the course of the night.

• 3 months later...

There are two different AC systems in use on the ship. One is like a window AC unit at home, that merely takes the cabin air and cools it while recirculating it back to the cabin. This is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and by the balcony door interlock, if fitted. This system is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin's volume each hour.

The second AC system is the one that is affected by the balcony door being open, and that affects the cabins around yours when you leave the door open. This system is not controllable from the cabin, and can not be shut off. This system is designed to bring fresh air into the cabin, about 20% of the volume per hour, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust vent, which removes about 20% per hour. This system takes outside fresh air, cools it in a large air handler (in those big white spaces down the middle of most cabin decks), and supplies this air to all of the cabins in a particular fire zone (between those pesky doors in the passageway) for one or two decks, meaning one fan and cooler handles 30-50 cabins. Now, this air is sent to the cabin at a higher pressure than normal HVAC systems, for one reason. This "overpressures" the cabins, forcing any leakage at the door to go out into the passageway, not the other way around. This prevents any possible smoke ingress to your cabin in an emergency.

Now, what happens when you open your balcony door? You replace the 2" diameter bathroom vent, and the 3/4" x 3' crack under the door that maintains the pressure balance in the cabin, with a 3' x 6' opening to outside. This immediately drops the cabin pressure to atmospheric, and the fresh air supply AC system sends all of the air to your cabin trying to rebuild the over pressure. This means that the other cabins lose much of their supply of fresh air (cooled), and also their overpressure safety feature, and now air is drawn back into their cabins from under the door, from the passageway (warmer). Therefore, the other cabins in the zone lose some of their AC capacity, and start getting warmer air supplied to the cabin.

How can you tell if this is happening? Real simple. I used to do it daily when I worked on cruise ships. You walk down the passageway, and listen for the air whistling under a door. 99 times out of 100, I would find the balcony door open in that cabin. Also, if it is your cabin with the door open, when you open the door to the passageway, you will create a wind tunnel, that blows everything out of your cabin. It doesn't do this when the balcony door is closed, so the door being open obviously has an effect on the AC balance in other areas than your cabin.

Your humble opinion may think it is BS, but I've worked on ships for 42 years as an engineer, 35 as Chief Engineer, and I have intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems. Yes, there is a proven effect on others from having your balcony door open, and I've had to deal with it constantly over the years I worked cruise ships, when we would get whole banks of cabins complaining about their AC.

Great info! Thanks for the explanation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep it between 78-80 all summer too. currently its off altogether. I did have to run the heater in January during our cold spell. my bill doubled to $90 !!!!!

We live in So Cal. In order to keep the house a nice cool temp during the Summer months, SCE offered a year long payment plan. It's da plan or double our rates in the Summer. I stay at home Year round, so we pay 💲2️⃣2️⃣7️⃣ a month. And, I use ceiling fans and sleep with a fan directly on me. Menopause and hot 🔥🔥

:rolleyes: Bobbi

Eureka! It took four pages and 64 posts to get there, but the truth comes out. Nothing like watching someone argue and try to justify his position for hours and then cave to the facts and admit it's really just intentionally selfish behavior.

"I leave my balcony door open because I like it."

"What's that? It negatively impacts other people? I don't believe you."

"Well, you can't *prove* there is a negative impact. This is too important to me to change without proof."

"What's that, you say? There *is* proof? Please explain."

"You have not explained well enough."

"Nope. Still not getting it."

"..."

"Oh, I see. Looks like I was wrong."

"Never mind, then. I never intended to change, regardless."

"I am all about me, no one else."

It's pretty obvious he's a troll. Not sure why people continue to engage him.

Great post, thanks as always. Just cut and pasted to an email for my brother in law who leaves the balcony door open all the time saying it affects no one.

75 is a very nice temperature ....

We always keep the balcony door open at night....that is the best part of having a balcony keeping the door open at night!

Our room never gets warmer than 75 that way....but we do not sail during the summer season.

FYI, you're effecting the AC in the cabins next to you because it's working harder to cool your room so it's drawing down AC from the rooms around you. The Hydronic balancing system in newer ships needs to maintain positive pressure in your cabin to keep it cool. Notice when you open your balcony door that rush of cold air that blows out? I'm surprised that the ships security hasen't visited you because your balcony being open all night would trigger a pressure alarm in the HVAC monitoring panel or people in nearby cabins calling about "why is it so hot in my cabin".

Nope..just honest!

Sorry folks - but our balcony-door stays open? (y)

You can bitch all you want....we like it that way and it is our choice!:halo:

Never 80 at night when we cruise.....anybody can live with 75 - get real!

We have a "our needs come first rule" that we use in these cases!

Thanks for being "those people".

Thanks for being "those people".

Some people are proud to be selfish with "I don't care about anyone but myself" attitudes. These are typically the same people that have relied on the work of others their entire lives, always expecting others to sacrifice for them when they themselves sacrifice nothing for anyone. AKA the handout group. It is most certainly attributing to the decaying society that we live in.

Our rooms are always too warm for us, at night the coldest it ever got was down to 74 with an average around 75 in the daytime. I will bring a fan, but we also choose a room that the ac vents are near the closets where the beds are if you get a cabin where the bed is by the balcony it feels warmer as the ac is further from that bed.

75 is much too warm for me to get a good night's sleep. I keep my home AC 68 at night and 71 during the day. In my cruise cabin, I keep it as low as possible. :D

FYI, you're effecting the AC in the cabins next to you because it's working harder to cool your room so it's drawing down AC from the rooms around you. The Hydronic balancing system in newer ships needs to maintain positive pressure in your cabin to keep it cool. Notice when you open your balcony door that rush of cold air that blows out? I'm surprised that the ships security hasen't visited you because your balcony being open all night would trigger a pressure alarm in the HVAC monitoring panel or people in nearby cabins calling about "why is it so hot in my cabin".

I concur with you!!!!! I’m surprised too that security or a engineer hasn’t visited to look for open balcony doors. It’s sad when folks feel they can do what they want

It’s hard enough to keep Hvac units balanced inside ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums