Umbrella for 1st Alaskan?

I never travel with an umbrella — especially in cruise ports. With so many people crowding the sidewalks and on excursions they are liabilities. On our trips to Alaska, we both had light rain jackets with hoodies that we put on over sweatshirts. Worked great for us!

Two Alaska cruises, same time of year (early June). First hot and sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Next time, cool, drizzly, cloudy. You don't ever know. However, for the second we just used Walmart type ponchos that fold and store in a very small packet, couple of bucks or so. They worked fine.

I think we are going to pack light rain jackets just in case, going late July but have never been and just want to be prepared for anything :) Fun part will be making sure we don't overpack, have gotten pretty good with Caribbean cruises but this is our first Alaskan trip.

Been on a number of Alaskan cruises and used both an umbrella and rain jackets. The only times I used an umbrella was for walking around Creek Street and Victoria (not sure if the Empress Hotel would let drowned rats have tea!). Umbrellas though are not useful on a whale watching boat or kayaking![emoji1]. Bring both.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Had a very rainy, cold few days on our May alaska trip....never used my umbrella too windy- but definitely needed a waterproof hooded rain jacket!! Also bring gloves, one in our group ended up using a pair of socks on his hands...lol...always carried a backpack to hold jackets when not needed....

Hi Not sure about your Alaska itinerary but on our trip a few years ago we sailed close to a glacier for viewing. If you want to view from balcony or open deck be aware the air is really cold (obvious when you think how much ice you are close to!) so make sure to have gloves, woolly hat etc - and a waterproof/wind proof layer acts as a good insulation layer.

Have fun - would love to do it all again.

We brought flannel lined rain slickers with a hood. They worked very well. Between the wind and walking on crowded sidewalks an umbrella was not a good choice for us. (we had one supplied in our stateroom but didn't use it).

As others have said, I have always found umbrellas almost useless. We always have water proof ponchos with us..and layer as needed under neath. PS--we were in Alaska many years ago..the weather was much warmer than we expected !

Forget the bummer-shoots - ONLY the bears like'm with whatever bears drink for cocktails ---

"Humans and salmon on the rocks" !

Let me see how am I going to take that selfie pix and wield this umbrella out of the picture.

Alaska is no place for Mary Poppins ! A spoon full of sugar will not season anything going this way.

The natives will be restless if you bring an umbrella and try to alter their ancestral weather.

Your Cruise Director will have more to add if it is a slow night on stage.

Forget the bummer-shoots - ONLY the bears like'm with whatever bears drink for cocktails ---

"Humans and salmon on the rocks" !

Let me see how am I going to take that selfie pix and wield this umbrella out of the picture.

Alaska is no place for Mary Poppins ! A spoon full of sugar will not season anything going this way.

The natives will be restless if you bring an umbrella and try to alter their ancestral weather.

Your Cruise Director will have more to add if it is a slow night on stage.

Have you ever been told that you are a wee bit on the "different" side?