Should Princess Offer Live Music in Any of Their Dining Venues?

need2cruisesoon

Another strong NO here for all of the reasons mentioned by previous posters. As much as I like music I feel that the ship offers a number of venues that are more appropriate and more comfortable for enjoying music.

One thing to consider is that HAL and Celebrity have large, open, 2-3 level dining rooms. Princess dining rooms are 1-level and designed to be separated into sections that give the feeling of being in a restaurant rather than a concert hall. Music in a Princess dining room would be acoustically challenging. [emoji4]

Actually, the ships with a Bayou Cafe & Steakhouse have live music. :)
It has typically bern a three piece combo and often with a singer. They start playing about 7:30-8:00 so don’t book an early dinner. With the Wheelhouse Bar adjacent to the Crown Grill on the Royal class ships, you could say the Crown Grill also has live music, at least part of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With the Wheelhouse Bar adjacent to the Crown Grill on the Royal class ships, you could say the Crown Grill also has live music, at least part of it.

My experience on Royal Princess was that the patrons in Crown Grill amplify their conversations so they can be heard over the music from Wheelhouse to such a degree that those of us sitting in Wheelhouse can barely hear the music but can easily eavesdrop on the Crown Grill tables. Which is the likely effect one would have in the MDRs when full at dinnertime.

And with live music during Afternoon Tea having disappeared from Princess to debate the idea of adding it during dinner is utter nonsense.

Edited by fishywood

Have been on ships with very soft background music in the dining room.Even when we've been close to the source, the volume was not as to interfere with dinner conversation or waiters taking orders. We thought it was lovely.

Now waiters being required to parade around and sing throughout the dining room is another topic. Always feel badly for them since it totally cuts into their specified duties.

Pretty certain this isn't something they miss when their contract is over. :)

One thing to consider is that HAL and Celebrity have large, open, 2-3 level dining rooms. Princess dining rooms are 1-level and designed to be separated into sections that give the feeling of being in a restaurant rather than a concert hall. Music in a Princess dining room would be acoustically challenging. [emoji4]

Good point and very true. The ships where I've heard live music in the dining room are Royal Caribbean ships. Never felt I was in a concert hall, however, with music being played softly.

I love music.

I'm reasonably confident, however, that you do not enjoy the music that I love. Similarly, I'm pretty sure that I do not enjoy, in the least, the music that you like.

My vote is no music in the dining venues.

Fun question, though. Thanks.

Can't say better! Another : no.

Only if they hire Andrea Bocelli to sing for us during dinner every night!!

Seriously, I'd say a resounding "no" to music in any dining room or the buffet. There's enough ambient noise when the dining room tables are filled with chatting passengers. Sometimes it's difficult to hear what people across the table from you are saying, especially when there are people with "big voices" at adjacent tables.

And if there's music, some people will feel it's necessary to talk louder to be heard over the music, which would be even more disturbing.

And then there's the issue of what type of music would be chosen. No way would they be able to please everybody.

It has typically bern a three piece combo and often with a singer. They start playing about 7:30-8:00 so don’t book an early dinner. With the Wheelhouse Bar adjacent to the Crown Grill on the Royal class ships, you could say the Crown Grill also has live music, at least part of it.

To each, his/her own.

I would reserve an early dinnertime to avoid live music that includes a singer. I dislike many female singing voices (too "screamy"), and if I had to put up with something like that, I would not be able to enjoy the meal that I am paying extra for.

Seems like live music whether by piano or dueling acoustic guitars would make dining a little more palatable, no?

Maybe DaVinci dining room now Pavarotti (music) dining room?

Regal and Royal have a bar with piano adjacent to the crown grill.

It is way, way too loud at some of the tables.

Personally, I would be happy if they just brought the food back to the level it was

5 years ago. Forget the extras.

Personally, I would be happy if they just brought the food back to the level it was

5 years ago. Forget the extras.

Now this is a good idea! I would be happy if they would just add back in the always available steak (and get rid of the burger).

Actually, the ships with a Bayou Cafe & Steakhouse have live music. :)

It has typically bern a three piece combo and often with a singer. They start playing about 7:30-8:00 so don’t book an early dinner.

We've totally enjoyed it on Coral & Island ... but would not work for most Princess ships.

Now this is a good idea! I would be happy if they would just add back in the always available steak (and get rid of the burger).

Bring back steak in the MDR are you kidding me. They don’t want any competition for the CG. ;)

Tony