Oasis class: ocean view balcony vs boardwalk balcony. 400$ difference.

I don't think I would ever buy a boardwalk balcony unless it was on a serious discount. If I'm going to spend hundreds or thousands more just for a view of a room I'm rarely in, I'd rather not feel like I'm on a floating apartment complex.

I don't think I would ever buy a boardwalk balcony unless it was on a serious discount. If I'm going to spend hundreds or thousands more just for a view of a room I'm rarely in, I'd rather not feel like I'm on a floating apartment complex.

It's all in what you like. I lived in apartment complexes way back in my college days and I wouldn't put it at anything alike. We spend very little time in our cabin anyway so that can make a difference I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

You get the stars/moon and the sounds of the ocean instead of the merry go round/movie.

But to each their own......

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

In the very aft boardwalk balconies we've been in, we can't hear the merry go round and I don't remember that being open really late anyway. I've actually only ever heard a movie being played back there once but maybe we got lucky. Really the only time I remember it being noisy was during an aqua theater show.

Hello!

We are planning a cruise on the Allure of the Sea in august (2 adults with a 4 year-old kid). We have basically two options:

• Ocean view balcony: 3050$ (Middle of the ship, near the stairs)
  • Boardwalk view balcony: 2650$ (Deck 8 or 9, near the start of the boardwalk: ex: 9299

We sailed before and we love ocean view balcony. 400$ is quite a lot of money so I don't know what to choose. Any thoughts?

Thank you! :)

Are you sure or maybe you should check again. I checked one of the big box retailers and found something interesting. I found some of the ocean view balcony cabins were actually cheaper than the Boardwalk Balcony. I'd never seen this before, but perhaps nothing is ever free. Perhaps these options that are being included in the Boardwalk Balcony cabins aren't free and actually are increasing the price. I would encourage you to compare the boardwalk balcony cabins to ocean view near the middle of the ship. You may need to move quickly, some dates don't have availability for 3 person cabins. Good Luck.

Upon further review, I was checking on Oasis. I'm not sure if the same thing applies. Perhaps you want to consider Oasis. Again if you're cost sensitive, perhaps you want to consider the total cost of the trip. Is it cheaper for you to fly into Orlando vs Allure? The ships are nearly the same and the itineraries may be the same.

Edited by bigbeergut

If you like the peace of the ocean and just that than a BW cabin is not for you. If you want things to watch while on your balcony than a BW might be for you. It is all about your preference, not which is better. We’ve done plenty of each type and I’ve probably spent way more time on my BW balcony than any other balcony but I get bored just looking at the ocean.

If closer to the back on deck 10 or 11 you get a great view of the ocean (and the wake behind the ship which I love) plus you can watch (with a decent view) the aqua shows, rock wall climbers, etc. This was really nice when staying in the cabin during our daughters nap or when we had to call it an early night b/c of her. We just poured a glass of wine and enjoyed the action below. Your kids will likely love watching the show performers practice during the days (diving, trampoline jumps) if they are on the balcony. So this is another bonus to this cabin.

There are pros and cons to each and $400 in savings is a big pro while privacy and perhaps the noise is a con. But do realize you can get a very good ocean view when closer to the back of the Boardwalk. Personally I like the BW cabins but I do get why others seem to prefer ocean view.

Do take into account the cost/value of the soda package (if this is something you would normally purchase). Same with Johnny Rockets. We are doing Boardwalk on our next cruise, as we don’t use balcony often and the value of the add-ons (about $150 per cabin). Some people will get no value out of this.

Also, when your child is older, price out two cabins (connecting) versus one. We are doing two balcony cabins for three for only marginally more than 3 in 1 cabin. I want to say that the cost difference was around $500, but we get OBC for 2 cabins instead of 1, so was about $400 more.

If closer to the back on deck 10 or 11 you get a great view of the ocean (and the wake behind the ship which I love) plus you can watch (with a decent view) the aqua shows, rock wall climbers, etc. T....

I'm not sure that I agree. You can see the ocean, but I don't think I would call it a great view.

It's a matter of personal preference. For us, having the Ocean balcony to get away from it all and relax looking a the water is a reason for cruising. We can enjoy the crowds and people watching all day. And for me, I don't want to sit on my balcony and be looking at the wall of rooms across the way.

I'm not sure that I agree. You can see the ocean, but I don't think I would call it a great view.

Did you click on the links on page one from cabin 10729? That is a great view imo. This is what I remember as or view as well and we thought it was great when we were in a similar cabin.

Have you stayed in a cabin on that deck in one of the last cabins? The view is really great.

In the very aft boardwalk balconies we've been in, we can't hear the merry go round and I don't remember that being open really late anyway. I've actually only ever heard a movie being played back there once but maybe we got lucky. Really the only time I remember it being noisy was during an aqua theater show.

We had 12329 on the end. We heard the movie very loudly every night while getting ready for dinner.

Just not enough ocean view for us.....

Especially on Oasis class where you don't see much ocean anywhere on the ship.

And there was that creepy binoculars guy across the way......[emoji51]

Don't think we'll ever choose to sail on Oasis class anymore anyways. Not because of boardwalk balconies, but just way too many passengers.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Did you click on the links on page one from cabin 10729? That is a great view imo. This is what I remember as or view as well and we thought it was great when we were in a similar cabin.

Have you stayed in a cabin on that deck in one of the last cabins? The view is really great.

Yep, I checked your video to refresh my memory. We were in a similar cabin on Deck11. The ocean is too far away, I just could not connect with the ocean from there. I had the same opinion about watching the Aqua shows from the balcony. Sure you could see the performance but it was just too far away. If it worked for you that's great, but I thought it was important to show that there myself and a few others really aren't impressed by the ocean view from the Boardwalk cabins.

Yep, I checked your video to refresh my memory. We were in a similar cabin on Deck11. The ocean is too far away, I just could not connect with the ocean from there. I had the same opinion about watching the Aqua shows from the balcony. Sure you could see the performance but it was just too far away. If it worked for you that's great, but I thought it was important to show that there myself and a few others really aren't impressed by the ocean view from the Boardwalk cabins.

I get what you are saying. It is a personal preference thing for sure. But some made it sound as if you can’t even see the ocean which is far from true so I was simply trying to present a balanced viewpoint. Very few cabins offer a view of the wake and for many that is the best view from the ship.

I know the neighborhood balconies have their fans, but for us, NEVER AGAIN.

We had a Central Park balcony on the Harmony earlier this month, and simply can't understand the appeal. As I've said elsewhere, it's like being in a highrise apartment, and feels nothing like I want my cruise balcony to feel -- which is a soothing respite from the crowds and noise, WITH a view of the ocean.

We obviously knew there'd be no ocean view going in, but weren't prepared for how much we'd miss it, how noisy the cabin would be with the pool band blaring, and how much privacy we'd sacrifice (there isn't even a sheer curtain on these cabins, so you either pull the blackout curtains or put on a show).

Spending time on the Boardwalk, it doesn't seem as if loud music is an issue, but there's a din ALL DAY, and then, depending on location, the sound of movies or whatever's going on at the aqua theater (with a very loud soundtrack during the water shows). Thanks, but no thanks.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll never understand the draw of those interior balconies when everybody can see you on your balcony, and even more, probably, at night. I find them creepy.

Well the draw is we live in FL, so the water is not a novelty for us. The boardwalk and Central Park are unique. We try to expose our grandchildren to all types of cabins even the creepy ones.

We have sailed the Oasis six times now and each time we booked a Boardwalk balcony.

We loved the view of the ocean and we found we spent a lot more time on the balcony because we really enjoyed all the sights and sounds.

I am glad there is such a variety of choices to everyone gets what they want....

Happy sailing everyone!!!

Very negative way of thinking of a Boardwalk room. Haven't stayed in one myself yet but we have it booked on our Symphony cruise. They look like so much fun, especially if you like to people watch and see what's going on. Probably not for someone who likes to just sit and relax while viewing the ocean but fun otherwise. The end staterooms even get a view of the aqua show. We look forward to staying in one. We'll just close our blinds when getting changed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I know the neighborhood balconies have their fans, but for us, NEVER AGAIN.

We had a Central Park balcony on the Harmony earlier this month, and simply can't understand the appeal. As I've said elsewhere, it's like being in a highrise apartment, and feels nothing like I want my cruise balcony to feel -- which is a soothing respite from the crowds and noise, WITH a view of the ocean.

We obviously knew there'd be no ocean view going in, but weren't prepared for how much we'd miss it, how noisy the cabin would be with the pool band blaring, and how much privacy we'd sacrifice (there isn't even a sheer curtain on these cabins, so you either pull the blackout curtains or put on a show).

Spending time on the Boardwalk, it doesn't seem as if loud music is an issue, but there's a din ALL DAY, and then, depending on location, the sound of movies or whatever's going on at the aqua theater (with a very loud soundtrack during the water shows). Thanks, but no thanks.

I’ve had a CP once and it is very different than a BW. No ocean view, little to no entertainment going on below. If doing a neighborhood balcony I’d pick BW all day long if price was the same. In the end it is all about budget and/or preference. For me just being on the cruise is a blessing. All else (view, cabin size, perks, etc) is gravy.

I did a BW balcony on Oasis and never again! Some will disagree with me but I fouund the outside noise horrible. Every afternoon was aqua theater practice and the bell on the carousel ringing. Uggh

Oasis has very few ocean view spots as compared to a liberty or voyager class ship. Get the ocean view. I never want to hear that stupid whale song ever again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We sailed Allure twice, in 11727 and 11729 (the last two cabins). It offered a unique experience you can’t get on other ships.

We had great views of the aqua theater and ocean. It was a lot of fun. There is more noise.

It is a long walk o the elevators but you can take the aft stairs down and get breakfast at Johnny rockets. Very convenient

We did it twice, loved it, but next time we’ll most likely get a traditional ov balcony closer to midship

By the tine we apply our C&A balcony discount, the price of a neighborhood balcony gty is often about the same (sometimes less) than an inside cabin. So even if we pull the blackout curtains the entire time, it would be a good value on that class of ship. And we get the boardwalk or Central Park perks. And fresh air and people watching if we wish. Noise has never bothered me when doors are closed, though maybe others are more sensitive or were in a cabin with a poorly sealed door.

I totally understand that others only want an OV balcony, but the neighborhood balconies are not so bad as long as you can manage to close curtains (or duck into the bathroom to change) at appropriate times.

I think a four year old would enjoy the boardwalk view.