Diminishing Quality on Carnival?

GMChambers

I have been on about a dozen carnival cruises. My experiences have generally been good. Over the years, I have learned which entrees I prefer and those that are not as good. Therefore, I am usually not disappointed with the food. I had a friend tell me ( never been on a cruise) that he heard the food was fabulous on a cruise. When he goes on his first cruise he will be disappointed with that expectation. I tend to go on cruises in April, May, October and November. This avoids the over zealous partiers and the public bathrooms are cleaner. Generally the language of the fellow passengers is better. Openly foul language can be a problem on carnival. If you say anything, most have over indulged and you could end up in a bad situation. I have not seen Carnival address this issue in my experience. However, there are plenty of places on the ship to go an remove yourself from the situations. Also when boarding the ship everyone is nice and courteous, debarkation can be a much different experience on carnival.

I wonder how many of the meanies on BOTH sides of this debate would say some of the things to each other if they were face to face in the MDR, or RFP!

My thoughts exactly as to EVERYTHING online :)

Agree with you as well about REPORTING bad behavior when it is justified by site rules. Mods absolutely do not have the time to read or 'monitor' everything that gets posted on this or any other forum that I know of.

We have cruised mostly yearly on Carnival since 2004 with a couple skipped years in that time frame due to family schedules. Since 2004 we have noticed the cutbacks but only one of those has moderately bothered us, and that is the nightly shows in the theater. From what I believed were truly "Vegas quality" shows with live bands back then, have turned into more of a production of a high school drama club today.

I don't know if I am mistaken, but it seems to me from 2004 until now I haven't noticed much if any of a price increase for a balcony room 7 day cruise. So I guess what I am saying is a Carnival cruise is a good bargain IMHO. If it was up to me would I be willing to pay $100 bucks a ticket more to get professional acts back and maybe a few more perks? Absolutely. But i'm guessing Carnival thought about that and thought some people may not be as agreeable. As mentioned before Carnival sees a niche in the cruise industry and they fill it very well. I'm sure we might notice improvements in food (although we have always been extremely happy with Carnivals food quality and choices) shows, and other amenities with more expensive lines, but I would be nervous that we would miss the fun laid back atmosphere/passengers on the Funships.

I agree with you regarding the entertainment. I thought it was like group karaoke. Not the Broadway caliber touted. And while I knew it would be substandard to broadway it was farther under expectations than that.

To the Op, yes I agree with all you said..last cruise was on Vista and I could not wait for it to be over..you cannot state any negative opinions on Carnival on this site ..

Interesting...Cruised Carnival 12x....Vista cruise this past November was our 2nd best Carnival cruise and we loved the ship. Only the Breeze cruise surpassed our Vista experience. Just shows everyone has different experiences....

Although a Carnival first line defender, I need to say that the Breakaway product is far superior to Carnival Vista (Havana gimmick only makes it worse).

To the OP,

Speaking of Carnival as a whole does not make much sense to me as the product quality differs from class to class (Fantasy-class, Conquest-class, etc.).

I plan to cruise on some Carnival ships in the future so I appreciate more specific facts (either positive of negative).

Thanks.

The Breakaway "might" be superior if it was run by a cruise line other than NCL.

Not in the slightest. 12 cruise on Carnival and 3 upcoming and I've never had any issue with the quality of the food or service. Probably the most consistent line out there (IMO).

I agree 100%...10 Carnival cruises under my belt...tried Royal and NEVER AGAIN...Worst experience ....

We are Carnival cruisers and we don't see the decline. Yes the mints and bathrobes are gone but that is far from a deal breaker. We find the entertainment and meals to be in the main excellent and we are going again the end of April.

Woo...what? Did I miss something. There are no bathrobes anymore?

Carnival is still a great line but after all the cutbacks the last decade it sure is a watered down product. The Vista was a disappointment. I can't recall many cutbacks with HAL but all lines have had them but I think Carnival leads the pack. Hopefully there won't be any more cutbacks soon but past history shows every few months they cut something. Royal has a great product which is more classier and often can be the same price or cheaper.

Every time I cruise, just for s...ts and giggles....I compare the price of Carnival to the Price of Royal...same number of days, ports etc. Same time of year.. NEVER, EVER, has Royal Caribbean been the same price or cheaper than Carnival. Just say'n

I have done 7 cruises on carnival, one on princess and just came off ncl. My experience on ncl was less customer friendly than anything I have experienced on carnival. They lost my friend’s wheel chair and there were apologies or compensations offered, except to give insurance papers so she could get another when she got home. Then it magically was found on the last morning. I do not say this to bash ncl, but to say I don’t think that would have happened on carnival, my experience with their customer service has been much better. Just booked ccl for next spring.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HOW on earth do you lose a WHEELCHAIR! I can see an earring ? But a WHEELCHAIR!

Every time I cruise, just for s...ts and giggles....I compare the price of Carnival to the Price of Royal...same number of days, ports etc. Same time of year.. NEVER, EVER, has Royal Caribbean been the same price or cheaper than Carnival. Just say'n

You will catch on, it is a thing. We all know now how much better royal is...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many times has JH said Carnival staterooms have so much more included over a hotel. He constantly bashes hotels. With all the stateroom cutbacks it's almost no different from a hotel. Plus you can't bring alcohol into a stateroom other than a bottle of wine.

• Like 1

The OP was not "bashing" Carnival.

The OP provided an observation (ie variance analysis) of the Carnival product based on his/her past versus recent experience.

The OP's observations are increasingly being reported on all the mass cruise line boards as well as in member reviews.

Having been a member of Cruise Critic for a very long time, I am noticing a significant increase in postings/reviews pertaining to the degrading of the mass cruise line product. In the 1990's and up to about 2010, the product provided by the mass lines was much more consistent. I knew every time I booked, I would have the same similar product - over and over during the years.

Today, every cruise I have had in the past 5 years seems to have a lowered bar - reduced quality, quantity, missing attributes from what was to be provided at time of booking (yes robes gone), more haried staff etc. At the same time, the price has risen significantly.

Consumers can accept this mass cruise line strategy - pay more for less, being as they are called in marketing slang "obedient consumers" or make other purchasing decisions.

I used to cruise 2x per year - now it is about every 2 years and will increase to every 3 years, because I do not accept the cruise line strategy. My travel funds are being diversified into customized land based tours with private guides etc.

To each their own consumer choice.

But when a consumer repeatedly queries the product they purchased and was not satisfied with, they are entitled to do so.

The OP provided an observation (ie variance analysis) of the Carnival product based on his/her past versus recent experience.

The OP's observations are increasingly being reported on all the mass cruise line boards as well as in member reviews.

Having been a member of Cruise Critic for a very long time, I am noticing a significant increase in postings/reviews pertaining to the degrading of the mass cruise line product. In the 1990's and up to about 2010, the product provided by the mass lines was much more consistent. I knew every time I booked, I would have the same similar product - over and over during the years.

Today, every cruise I have had in the past 5 years seems to have a lowered bar - reduced quality, quantity, missing attributes from what was to be provided at time of booking (yes robes gone), more haried staff etc. At the same time, the price has risen significantly.

Consumers can accept this mass cruise line strategy - pay more for less, being as they are called in marketing slang "obedient consumers" or make other purchasing decisions.

I used to cruise 2x per year - now it is about every 2 years and will increase to every 3 years, because I do not accept the cruise line strategy. My travel funds are being diversified into customized land based tours with private guides etc.

But when a consumer repeatedly queries the product they purchased and was not satisfied with, they are entitled to do so.

Having cruised 6 times since 2011 I couldn't disagree with you more. Our prices have been consistent and we haven't noticed the lowering of the bar as many people claim.

And for the record the robes are not gone, just ask for one.

I still have no idea why people need a robe in the first place.

• Like 1

Having cruised 6 times since 2011 I couldn't disagree with you more. Our prices have been consistent and we haven't noticed the lowering of the bar as many people claim.

And for the record the robes are not gone, just ask for one.

I still have no idea why people need a robe in the first place.

We had robes without asking . I used my twice. Hubby did once and felt silly.

• Like 1

They have done lots of cutbacks . I listed them earlier. They have even done cutbacks to the perks what platinum gets. Oh that’s right, you only have six cruises, you wouldn’t know.

. CCL does NOT do cutbacks to “keep prices down”. This is oft repeated claim said by those who have no idea of what micro economics is and think CCL is run like a lemonade stand.

CCL ( like every other cruise line) tries to get top dollar for every cabin . That’s why you’ll see rooms costing double during high demand times. Every cutback is done for one reason - to increase profit.

The thing with straws is to make a cutback politically correct . Note how there is no mention of CCL switching to more expensive paper straws?

Yes a decline the past 5-8 years for sure. Lots of cutbacks over the years. I to have moved away from Carnival to explore other lines and some land based trips as well. Cruising especially on Carnival is not what it used to be. Such a watered down product these days.

I sailed on the Elation back in ‘99 with my family of four for $2300 to MR out of SoCal.Adjusted for inflation, that’s $3500 in today’s money.

It costs about $3500 for same room, same itenery this summer!

What’s changed?

Professional entertainers replaced with Hasbro junk.

Live bands replaced with recordings

Elaborated productions replaced with playlist

No more rum swizzle Party

No more cocktail party

No more repeater party

No water color print

Less quality food in mdr- filet mignon replaced with ???

No more assigned server for all three meals

No more free galley tour

No more free stuff from kids club ( like helium balloons and t shirts)

No more free espresso in mdr

Butter imported from France replaced with butter flavored product

Free fresh orange juice

Bringing aboard beverages ( including alcohol) was allowed.

Andes mints left on pillow.

Now, I know there will be someone who will pick on one or more of this and poo poo it by saying they don’t care about the mints or color print, etc. Thats missing the point. Fact is that these were all once included, now they are gone.

I will say that the captains cocktail party was second to the lifeboat drill as the most widely attended event and you’d be hard pressed to argue that its discontinuation was anything other than a cutback intended to increase profit.

We debated from the Sunshine yesterday and, yes, we noticed many cutbacks. After 21 cruises with Carnival, these cutbacks were quite noticeable. Dining room service has dramatically gotten much slower. The ship is really showing its age too. The toilet in our cabin had a foot-long crack down the side and had to be replaced the first day! Our TV remote was replaced 3 times. There was hardly any activities until noon. These are just a few of the issues we faced last week. The American Table menu lacked some of our favorites and some meals were not so good. The baked potatoes we had weren't completely done. Couldn't cut with the table knife. The most positive thing that we enjoyed were ALL of the musicians and live shows. OUTSTANDING!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

I sailed on the Elation back in ‘99 with my family of four for $2300 to MR out of SoCal.Adjusted for inflation, that’s $3500 in today’s money.

It costs about $3500 for same room, same itenery this summer!

What’s changed?

Professional entertainers replaced with Hasbro junk.

Live bands replaced with recordings

Elaborated productions replaced with playlist

No more rum swizzle Party

No more cocktail party

No more repeater party

No water color print

Less quality food in mdr- filet mignon replaced with ???

No more assigned server for all three meals

No more free galley tour

No more free stuff from kids club ( like helium balloons and t shirts)

No more free espresso in mdr

Butter imported from France replaced with butter flavored product

Free fresh orange juice

Bringing aboard beverages ( including alcohol) was allowed.

Andes mints left on pillow.

Now, I know there will be someone who will pick on one or more of this and poo poo it by saying they don’t care about the mints or color print, etc. Thats missing the point. Fact is that these were all once included, now they are gone.

I will say that the captains cocktail party was second to the lifeboat drill as the most widely attended event and you’d be hard pressed to argue that its discontinuation was anything other than a cutback intended to increase profit.

So I guess the question is: do you want the price to stay low or do you want to pay for more amenities? You indicated you are paying the same price that you did 19 years ago with inflation factored in. I know I'm not paying the same price for the gas in my car. Or for that fact, I'm not paying the same for a new car. Or a home or anything else. Something has to give.

• Like 1