Diminishing Quality on Carnival?

GMChambers

My point exactly. For that .001% of cruisers (or whatever the actual percentage may be) there are cruise lines out there where money isn’t a factor.

Keep in mind, that there are regions where Carnival is the line full of cruisers, where money isn't a factor. Some of these lines offer extra perks, such as OBC and drink packages, extending the price difference.

Alaska August 2019

Carnival: Starting at $909

Royal Caribbean: Starting at $750

Princess: Starting at $899

Holland America: Starting at $799

Norwegian: Starting at $849

Celebrity: Starting at $749

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Great post. However, if they didn't use the word cutbacks they would have no way to bash Carnival. Doesn't matter that their have been plenty of improvements and additions to Carnival ships, it only matters that they lost their mints.

Right on. It is not only easy to do, it seems to be en Vogue. I wonder if some of them even know how many extra people are on these ships compared to prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep in mind, that there are regions where Carnival is the line full of cruisers, where money isn't a factor.

Alaska August 2019

Carnival: Starting at $909

Thanks for that example. One thing that we learned when we sailed to Alaska was that Carnival isn’t the cheapest there, most likely due to the fact that they only have a single ship in that region every year, limiting availability. We actually chose Holland America partly because they offered kids sail free along with the better itinerary.

You didn’t include any of the luxury cruise lines in your example though. A quick price check shows Seabourn starting at $7,000 and Regent starting at $4,900. That makes Carnival’s $909 look like chump change.

So you are saying people who chose to cruise with Carnival are cattle?

Do you people ever read what you write and just listen to how it sounds?

Thank You!:D

Now excuse me....I need to go chew my cud! MOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

Thanks for that example. One thing that we learned when we sailed to Alaska was that Carnival isn’t the cheapest there, most likely due to the fact that they only have a single ship in that region every year, limiting availability. We actually chose Holland America partly because they offered kids sail free along with the better itinerary.

You didn’t include any of the luxury cruise lines in your example though. A quick price check shows Seabourn starting at $7,000 and Regent starting at $4,900. That makes Carnival’s $909 look like chump change.

Exactly, HAL and Princess are really the best options in Alaska, which include Glacier Bay. When you have the largest cruise line (Carnival), with the least # of ships in the region, supply/demand are skewed. No knock on anyone who pays extra because they like the product or their loyalty status, but I bet many don't compare prices, and assume it's still the cheapest.

No thank you to Seaborn or Regent, I'm too frugal for that even if I could afford it. I'm barely able to stomach looking at the Azamara, Oceania, and Windstar, when their longer sea day cruises mirror the cost of mass market.

My point exactly. For that .001% of cruisers (or whatever the actual percentage may be) there are cruise lines out there where money isn’t a factor.

This Disney cruise was a bucket list item than anything else. Not something that I chose because I considered a great value, but simply because I wanted to see what it was about.

As previously mentioned, we aren’t Disney fans (we hadn’t even set foot on a Disney park as a family until a month before this cruise). But I was very interested in experiencing things that are unique to Disney. First, because of the technical aspect behind all their offerings, including their ship design. For our kids, I wanted to see what the Oceaneer’s Club and the Oceaneer’s Lab, as well as the Aquaduck water coaster had to offer. I was also intrigued about the themed restaurants and the rotating dining room concept. We also wanted to experience Remy and Palo and to see if they lived up to the hype. We wanted to see if their stage entertainment was truly as phenomenal as reviewers had said, and if they’d be able to impress people like us who don’t really go to shows on ships. We also wanted to visit Castaway Cay, which needless to say, can only be reached on a Disney ship. Finally, we wanted to experience what many described as the best customer service of any mainstream cruise line.

In the most part, Disney delivered and fulfilled our expectations. I went on that cruise believing that we had paid a lot of money for “pixie dust”, but after returning, I realized that, while I still consider that their prices are high, I now think that they weren’t as overinflated as I believed before we sailed.

I’m glad that I sailed on Disney. I experienced it, saw what it was about, but now I’m ready to move on to the next cruise line. Too many cruise lines, ships and destinations to explore (several which I’m interested in regardless of their value). [emoji3]

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

I like this.

"Originally posted by salty dingo

Quality is defined as conformance to expectations. Perhaps, as one matures, expectations increase?"

Perhaps Perceived Quality, but I might replace expectations with requirements. Not sure how you measure expectations, which seem rather subjective. OTOH, valid requirements are testable.

When I fly to from the United States I fly business class, the majority of the passengers on the 777 or 787 are in coach cattle class..... But the market is there for business class for the select few. The same thing with cruise lines some people don't care if they become cattle, just give them lots of food and drink and they are happy. But others care more about quality.

I would say if you are actually paying, out of your own pocket, for business class on an international flight, you are in the minority.

My company affords me this luxury and when I have system wide upgrades or extra miles available, I use them, but if it’s MY money, I’ll be in coach.

One little caveat that many may not realize that may bring some value to this thread. If you’re booking your air last minute for a cruise (foreign or domestic), it’s probably worth your time to look at 1/c or B/c.

90 or more days out these options are usually 2-3 times higher than economy. As the departure date nears, coach fills and the prices rise dramatically but - usually - the higher classes stay static or even drop a little because they seldom fill and then they give them away to guys like me). In those circumstances, once you throw in baggage fees, snacks, drinks and paying a premium for better economy seats, the overall prices can be close.

I would say if you are actually paying, out of your own pocket, for business class on an international flight, you are in the minority.

My company affords me this luxury and when I have system wide upgrades or extra miles available, I use them, but if it’s MY money, I’ll be in coach.

One little caveat that many may not realize that may bring some value to this thread. If you’re booking your air last minute for a cruise (foreign or domestic), it’s probably worth your time to look at 1/c or B/c.

90 or more days out these options are usually 2-3 times higher than economy. As the departure date nears, coach fills and the prices rise dramatically but - usually - the higher classes stay static or even drop a little because they seldom fill and then they give them away to guys like me). In those circumstances, once you throw in baggage fees, snacks, drinks and paying a premium for better economy seats, the overall prices can be close.

I do pay my own fares but not as bad as it sounds. From business and living in Asia I am a member of The Million Miler program, combine with my bank of miles and Amex Program, it makes it reasonable.

Right now a cheap coach ticket round trip Philippines/Asia to Boston/New York is about $1300 dollars. I can fly business for less than double ($2000 to $2500) so to me it is worth it. Your other information and tips for getting business class are very good and others should us them. I wish this site was more about helpful information like this and less about how good or knowable people think they are.

Guess it depends on how many passengers there are. Frankly passengers are 99% of what offends me on any cruise line.

I agree with this with qualifications. I am not offended by 99% of passengers but other passengers do create or contribute to most things that are offensive on cruises. 95% of passengers are normal people to great people. There's others who treats other guests and crew badly, cause trouble and uncleanliness.

“Not bash on Carnival in any way” ... and then that’s exactly what you do.

In my opinion, yes, it’s only you and your opinion.

My experiences are vastly different.

Happy sailing on other lines until the changes you want from Carnival happen but I suspect you’ll be saying the exact same things about those other lines as those forums are filled with people saying the same thing about them as you are curently saying about Carnival.

Its the cycle of life.

The writer was only voicing his opinion and made that disclaimer at the beginning of his post. He could have really bashed Carnival. I took it as his observation after having cruised other lines. I respect his opinion. I don't have to agree with it. Give him a break. I am sure you have differing opinions as well.

First let me say that my wife and I are experienced cruisers and have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Royal thus far. This post is not meant to bash on Carnival in any way... just looking for opinions. Does anyone else notice that it seems like Carnival is really going down hill quality wise? Food problems (quantity, variety, and temperatures), customer service issues, common area ship and stateroom cleanliness complaints, poor entertainment, etc. Is it just me or does it seem like Carnival is having problems? Our last Carnival cruise was very disappointing and we both agreed that our Carnival days were over until changes were made. Many small things like return guest perks, mints on the pillows, and complimentary toiletries in the stateroom bathrooms, to much larger issues like food, cleanliness problems, and a general feeling of a lack of concern for customer satisfaction. It also seems to me like the fleet is showing signs of age and they do not seem to be keeping pace with other lines in regard to introducing newer ships with more current features. I do understand that they try to be the "value" line and must keep costs low, but it just seems like their has been a real effort to take away the few last remaining reasons that we would choose to sail with them in the future.

I have not read any replies, but frankly you are beating a dead horse that has been killed many times over. Not to defend Carnival, but one needs to realize the the more you cruise, the less exciting it becomes. Think of the awe and wonder of your first cruise as compared to your last. Us? We are done cruising for the foreseeable future. 5 cruises in 6 years is our limit apparently.

We have cruised on Carnival for many years and yes, we have noticed changes. Some changes really do not matter and some changes do matter.

Food --- Some changes like not doing the late night chocolate buffet or late night Mexican buffet makes no difference whatsoever, since the participation was fairly low. However, the cumulative changes to food policy (probably to save cost) over the last few years has made cruising less special on Carnival. Before I make any comments on food, it is fair to say that the food experience varies considerably from ship to ship.

Our last trip was on the Magic in December 2017. The food experience was very disappointing not so much in quality but in the logistics implemented to save a little money. We tend to eat healthy food so our comments are from that perspective. From what we read on these Boards, it appears that other Carnival ships handle many of these issues described below differently. So our comments below, only apply to the Magic.

We ate twice in Cucina del Capitano. We are into eating healthy good food. We noticed that the menu had less choices. In the past, they had steak, caprese salad, and other items. Our waitress knew we had experience with Cucina and even asked if we like the new menu. We told her no and she mentioned that she has had other customers with the same reaction.

For the most part, the Main Dining Room had the same menu as on Lido Deck in the evening. In the past, you could count on substantively different menu if you did not like the choices in the Main Dining Room at dinner time. So now if the menu does not appeal to a customer, your only choices are pizza or the deli for dinner. Guy Fieri’s is closed; the Burrito Bar is closed. No other options exist at dinner .

The pizza area used to have a Caesar Salad available, however, now there is no salad available. They have made it less appealing as a complete meal (without even a salad).

The deli now offered premade sandwiches. We ordered a southwest chicken wrap. It was pre-made with lots of bacon. When we asked for a sandwich without bacon, we were told sorry that is how it is made.

The deli also does not offer smoked salmon with bagels and cream cheese anymore.

Guy’s Burger Joint is really good. However with the installation of that feature on larger ships, they simultaneously did away with the fried chicken, grilled chicken and/or a veggie burger. Also, for some odd reason, Guys Burgers closes down at 6 pm, when there are limited food selections available elsewhere on the ship.

In the past, the breakfast sausage would rotate in some turkey sausage every 3rd day, but not on Magic.

At supper on Lido, the salad bar and fruit bar was limited. A good salad bar typically has a wide variety of fresh items to customize a really good salad. The Magic provides the standard lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radishes, carrots and variety of mayonnaise based salads, which leads to a less healthy salad. If patrons wanted a healthy salad for dinner with some protein on the salad (like grilled chicken), you were out of luck again.

For healthy conscious type people, they used to offer a spa selection which was labeled as more heart healthy. However, that offering is no more.

The Magic still offerred shrimp cocktail in the Main Dining Room. However, the four shrimp were so small that it generated some conversation over the disappointment with some fellow passengers.

We used to enjoy the scrambled eggs in the morning on Lido. The switch to powdered eggs is unappetizing so we stick to omelets.

Entertainment --- Over the last 20 years, the entertainment style has not changed that much. Game shows, hairy chest competition and bingo have dominated the daily entertainment. As we have grown older, these activities do not appeal to us anymore. We have talked with many fellow passengers that desire to stick with Carnival but have grown older and taste have changed. With a large segment of the population quickly approaching retirement, a restructuring of on-board ship activities to a little more diversification, may make good sense for Carnival. It would cost Carnival little to include talks on ocean environment, island ecology, weather, food preparation, cake decorating, photography, and etc. Having said this, we recognize that 2/3 folks on a Carnival ship are in the 30 to 55 years old and may like the Carnival recipe for entertainment. To not introduce some mind engaging activities, Carnival runs the risk that their older passengers may find Carnival cruises have become boring and have lost their appeal.

Music --- On the plus side, the addition of the classical guitarist trios are a welcome addition and seem to be very popular. On the down side, the loss of the live bands, does take away from the quality of the shows. Although their troupe of singers doing joint songs for the show programs is good for a show or two, but when all major shows offered during a week offer the same format, some folks may be disappointed.

As we talk with other Platinum guests, we realize that we are not alone. Other long-time customers have noticed these changes as all negative. So our recent experience on the Magic has brought it all together as a less than special food experience.