Diminishing Quality on Carnival?

GMChambers

I am gold on Carnival and think it is a great cruise line. I have nothing to compare it with, but feel loyal to Carnival none the less. I look forward to spending my vacation money with CCL. They do a fantastic job and I am glad they cater to people like me for whom a nickel and dime mean a lot.

Originally posted by Retired_to_Cruise I am a shareholder, a consumer, and a Diamond member of Carnival.....

Do you just cut and paste the same answer over and over on numerous threads?

Ditto!! :eek::eek:

First let me say that my wife and I are experienced cruisers and have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Royal thus far. This post is not meant to bash on Carnival in any way... just looking for opinions. Does anyone else notice that it seems like Carnival is really going down hill quality wise? Food problems (quantity, variety, and temperatures), customer service issues, common area ship and stateroom cleanliness complaints, poor entertainment, etc. Is it just me or does it seem like Carnival is having problems? Our last Carnival cruise was very disappointing and we both agreed that our Carnival days were over until changes were made. Many small things like return guest perks, mints on the pillows, and complimentary toiletries in the stateroom bathrooms, to much larger issues like food, cleanliness problems, and a general feeling of a lack of concern for customer satisfaction. It also seems to me like the fleet is showing signs of age and they do not seem to be keeping pace with other lines in regard to introducing newer ships with more current features. I do understand that they try to be the "value" line and must keep costs low, but it just seems like their has been a real effort to take away the few last remaining reasons that we would choose to sail with them in the future.

I think carnival corporation is more interested in increasing their stock price by cutting costs, such as reducing butter pads at dinner, the cheese quality on their pizza, cutting back on loyalty perks such as internet time for past cruisers. Even going down in quality on their canard line. Will try Viking now.

Do you just cut and paste the same answer over and over on numerous threads?

Yes I do. Why? Because there are so many stupid threads about cutbacks which say the same things (some true and some false) that cut and paste is the appropriate way to answer them. If you do not like it, you have the right not to read it the next time.

Yes I do. Why? Because there are so many stupid threads about cutbacks which say the same things (some true and some false) that cut and paste is the appropriate way to answer them. If you do not like it, you have the right not to read it the next time.

I seen this a couple of times too. You say "Not to read them", but when it's in a middle of a thread, we have no choice. Of course we can scroll by it, but its still there in plain sight. Not that I care what you post, but it is kind of lame C&P the same thing all the time. We get it, your a share holder, and a dedicated CCL cruiser, but the fact is there are cut-backs and its only getting worse. IMO

I think carnival corporation is more interested in increasing their stock price by cutting costs, such as reducing butter pads at dinner, the cheese quality on their pizza, cutting back on loyalty perks such as internet time for past cruisers. Even going down in quality on their canard line. Will try Viking now.

Which stock based cruise line is different?

Hi

I agree.

It mostly always starts with the same format of generally condemning everything about some nonspecific cruise with a final conclusion like, that's it, I am never sailing Carnival again. My only thoughts are always that if the initial post is sincere, that this is good and they should definitely find another cruise line that better suits their tastes.

At the same time the obvious is heard. The people that frequent the Carnival threads are people who are generally satisfied with the product, or they wouldn't be repeat customers. They certainly wouldn't be seeking out this website and these threads to announce it to the world. This sort of initial post is almost exclusive to the Carnival threads. For years it was always the comparison to "Walmart" feeling that this was the ultimate putdown, is it a coincidence that they are the market leaders in their field. Who knows. We do know that cutbacks and other additional charges are the way that ALL cruise lines try to find ways in improving their bottom line while maintaining a competitive edge.

In any type of review or opinion I look for balance. If it is not there I have a hard time sensing sincerity.

Please let us know if you find a Viking cruise for the same price as a Carnival cruise.

Reducing butter pads at dinner???? You do know that you can ask for more if you run out. Actually my last Carnival cruises, I haven't received butter in pads....it's been in a small round dish.

As for the pizza, I think it's fine. It's fresh and crisp and hot and tasty. And it's free for the asking.

I do find it interesting that you are a Princess stockholder. It seems that you hate their pizza. Yet you didn't seem to hate Carnival's pizza...just thought they were using a less quality cheese.

When was your last Carnival cruise?? It appears you have been pretty busy taking Princess cruises. Which is fine. Everyone should choose the cruise line they prefer. But I don't understand why you feel the necessity to bash another cruise line. Just let your checkbook do the talking for you.

I seen this a couple of times too. You say "Not to read them", but when it's in a middle of a thread, we have no choice. Of course we can scroll by it, but its still there in plain sight. Not that I care what you post, but it is kind of lame C&P the same thing all the time. We get it, your a share holder, and a dedicated CCL cruiser, but the fact is there are cut-backs and its only getting worse. IMO

It is no different that seeing the same complaints about "cutbacks" but no comments about the millions and millions and millions of dollars spent to build new ships and retrofit existing ships with all of the new things that have been developed for the new ships. And why is it that every change is a "cutback" just because someone doesn't like it. Can you really come up with a good explanation of why anyone would consider the removal of crappy pillow chocolates a cutback. I found it a blessing. One less crappy piece of chocolate I had to leave laying around or throw away. And what about those 'cutbacks' that people are actually lying about? And to call changes that generates significant cost savings and allow cruise fares to remain affordable "cutbacks" is also lying at its finest.

It is no different that seeing the same complaints about "cutbacks" but no comments about the millions and millions and millions of dollars spent to build new ships and retrofit existing ships with all of the new things that have been developed for the new ships. And why is it that every change is a "cutback" just because someone doesn't like it.

I sometimes wonder how many of those who lament the demise of the good ol’ days on Carnival would actually book a cruise if Carnival came up with a new class of small ships designed for better service and higher quality cuisine, along with all the little details that are gone, but that has no balconies staterooms, only one or two set time dining room and no alternative dining, no Blue Iguana, no Guy’s Burgers, no Camp Carnival, no onboard technology (interactive TV’s, WiFi, Phone service, sail & sign accounts, automated gratuities, etc), no comedy club, no waterworks, a small enclosed room that doubles as a gym, no cloud 9 spa, only one pool, and for prices that are twice if not more what they currently charge.

Because that’s what the ol’ Carnival used to be like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First let me say that my wife and I are experienced cruisers and have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Royal thus far. This post is not meant to bash on Carnival in any way... just looking for opinions. Does anyone else notice that it seems like Carnival is really going down hill quality wise? Food problems (quantity, variety, and temperatures), customer service issues, common area ship and stateroom cleanliness complaints, poor entertainment, etc. Is it just me or does it seem like Carnival is having problems? Our last Carnival cruise was very disappointing and we both agreed that our Carnival days were over until changes were made. Many small things like return guest perks, mints on the pillows, and complimentary toiletries in the stateroom bathrooms, to much larger issues like food, cleanliness problems, and a general feeling of a lack of concern for customer satisfaction. It also seems to me like the fleet is showing signs of age and they do not seem to be keeping pace with other lines in regard to introducing newer ships with more current features. I do understand that they try to be the "value" line and must keep costs low, but it just seems like their has been a real effort to take away the few last remaining reasons that we would choose to sail with them in the future.

We actually think Carnival bottomed out a few years ago and the product now is better than what they were doing back when the Magic was the newest ship out of Galveston.

We were disappointed enough to take a few years off from Carnival, but went back on the Legend for a family Alaska Cruise two years ago. Since then we’ve done the Dream and the Breeze and each cruise has been better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is considered a cutback to one person may be an enhancement to someone else. For example, I can't stand the steel drums that used to/possibly starting to again play on the Lido deck. Sounds like nails on a blackboard to me. So while many complained of the supposed cutback I was happy as a clam at the enhancement to my vacation.

What is considered a cutback to one person may be an enhancement to someone else. For example, I can't stand the steel drums that used to/possibly starting to again play on the Lido deck. Sounds like nails on a blackboard to me. So while many complained of the supposed cutback I was happy as a clam at the enhancement to my vacation.

One can argue that it is relative in some cases but I think objectively there are some changes which are truly cutbacks. For instance, whether or not you like or dislike chocolates on your pillow, the absence of the chocolate is a cutback. Same with midnight buffets, sure some are too high class to eat buffets but the lack of option to eat it makes it a cutback.

We've only been on Carnival over the last 8 cruises we've been on, except for our last which was a cruise we won on Royal Caribbean. We were happy to try another line and see what they had to offer. We missed Carnival. Not that RC wasn't nice, it was, but there were many things that we liked better on Carnival. We don't mind no candies on the beds or robes in the closet (which is where they stay during our cruises anyway). We like to be able to afford a cruise and on Carnival, we can. We have no complaints.

The beards can positively change the balance sheet by raising prices instead of cutting back. I hope management realizes that at some point!

You might be interested in higher prices, but I am not. And I would not pay a higher price for chocolates on my pillow and/or the midnight buffet. Thanks, but No Thanks.

Really who needs a midnight buffet??? Aren't we already eating enough when we cruise???

I really think Carnival does a nice job of adding to the cruise experience, by cutting out trivial items and keeping the price point affordable.

I would much prefer the price point to remain stable and if necessary add amenities that at an extra cost if need be. Not everyone partakes in the "for fee" extras and it would give each guest the opportunity to choose.

The beards can positively change the balance sheet by raising prices instead of cutting back. I hope management realizes that at some point!

Carnival has other brands for those who want to pay more. Perhaps some will realize they aren't Carnival material at some point?

On the Vista, they had a steel drum performer in the Red Frog Pub one evening.

One can argue that it is relative in some cases but I think objectively there are some changes which are truly cutbacks. For instance, whether or not you like or dislike chocolates on your pillow, the absence of the chocolate is a cutback. Same with midnight buffets, sure some are too high class to eat buffets but the lack of option to eat it makes it a cutback.

So are these cutbacks or improvements?

https://www.talkingcruise.com/2018/02/22/carnival-paradise-dry-dock-2018/

Don't like the brand or the way they do things, stop whining and don't cruise with them. How much more simple can it be???

Pyrate13...It is that Simple! Good Grief Charlie Brown!!

Reading this thread is like a continuous loop of "Grumpy Cat Calendars"!;p

I would call them improvements, especially Guy's. Most products and services seek continuous improvement, especially as technologies become cheaper over time. Doesn't change the fact that late night eating options have become worse over the past 5 years.

I would call them improvements, especially Guy's. Most products and services seek continuous improvement, especially as technologies become cheaper over time. Doesn't change the fact that late night eating options have become worse over the past 5 years.

Sometimes in order to make improvements you have to cut other things out. Getting rid of 2 cent mints on your pillow or a late night buffet that probably had more waste than the regular buffets doesn't seem that big of a deal.