Diminishing Quality on Carnival?

GMChambers

This is a great idea. The entire Fantasy class is showing for sale on boat dealer websites as is Triumph. 9 ships that have kept on ticking in spite of years of full sailings and hard use. Anybody can start and run a cruise line providing the precise mix of value and luxury demanded by every passenger. Would love to see a new player in this game!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Virgin Voyages is building three ships. Can't wait to see what they offer. I'm sure it will be more upscale than Carnival but it certainly has my attention.

Virgin Voyages is building three ships. Can't wait to see what they offer. I'm sure it will be more upscale than Carnival but it certainly has my attention.

It certainly will be. It also will be nowhere near the price point of Carnival. I am certain all it will get is your attention.

• Like 1

You get a lot of attacks from people because of cognitive dissonance. People who have been constantly cruising with Carnival (or any line for that matter), building up their points, and now finally are Platinum are being faced with evidence that their loyalty may not be reciprocated. It's like a person in a bad relationship with an abusive partner. The more other people point out issues with their partner, the more the victim double-downs and defends them.

I have no dog in this specific fight over Carnival. In fact, I'm trying Carnival again because of my dissatisfaction over cutbacks by NCL. On paper, my upcoming Carnival cruise is a better value than NCL. (Not so in 2012, which is why I tried NCL and stuck with them for a few years, but I digress.) I have no doubt that things have been cutback on Carnival. All I can say is the issue is not unique to them. That doesn't absolve Carnival for any reduction in quality or service. I'm just saying that the grass isn't always greener.

I have no loyalty to any cruise line. I'll most likely be trying RCL next year. (The Horizon with its Havana Cabana pulled me in, but it's being replaced by the Triumph in 2019. That ship doesn't have the same draw for me.) I just want to go on a cruise that offers me the best bang for my buck. I have no desire to join a cult.

• Like 1

You get a lot of attacks from people because of cognitive dissonance. People who have been constantly cruising with Carnival (or any line for that matter), building up their points, and now finally are Platinum are being faced with evidence that their loyalty may not be reciprocated. It's like a person in a bad relationship with an abusive partner. The more other people point out issues with their partner, the more the victim double-downs and defends them.

I have no dog in this specific fight over Carnival. In fact, I'm trying Carnival again because of my dissatisfaction over cutbacks by NCL. On paper, my upcoming Carnival cruise is a better value than NCL. (Not so in 2012, which is why I tried NCL and stuck with them for a few years, but I digress.) I have no doubt that things have been cutback on Carnival. All I can say is the issue is not unique to them. That doesn't absolve Carnival for any reduction in quality or service. I'm just saying that the grass isn't always greener.

I have no loyalty to any cruise line. I'll most likely be trying RCL next year. (The Horizon with its Havana Cabana pulled me in, but it's being replaced by the Triumph in 2019. That ship doesn't have the same draw for me.) I just want to go on a cruise that offers me the best bang for my buck. I have no desire to join a cult.

I can't believe you actually compared loyalty to a cruise line to spouse abuse!! How dare you! :mad: I'll stop myself right there before I really open up and tell you what I really think!

You get a lot of attacks from people because of cognitive dissonance. People who have been constantly cruising with Carnival (or any line for that matter), building up their points, and now finally are Platinum are being faced with evidence that their loyalty may not be reciprocated.

I disagree. I am Platinum and have been sailing with Carnival sine 2007. I think it all boils down to whether you see the glass as half full or half empty. All these threads moaning about cutbacks never fail to mention 2 important things. First, the cost of your cruise today, is basically the same as it was a decade ago - name one other item from gasoline to milk that you are paying what you paid in 2008. Second, each and everyone of these "complaining threads" fails to take into account all the new additions to the cruise experience from updated ships, to new free food venues like Blue Iguana to Guys, to improved boarding, to the addition of the comedy club etc. My list can go on and on.

Things change. People change. I would also agree with the theory that perhaps the complainers have out-grown Carnival because they want to be pampered, have more money to spend, or are simply more mature and want a more relaxed cruising environment.

Regardless - you know what Carnival offers and what the cost is. Embrace it or move on.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Also, you have some people on this board that are TA's doing the defending and saying other members are untruthful.

This is very true. I always thought it would be better if the TA's had to disclose their occupation. Not their company name or any sort of advertising, but just a disclosure.

The same people complaining about 'cutbacks' would complain about the price hike if everything stayed in place.

The mass market cruise lines evolved adding many things modeling the changes in society, other things went away to make room. That is life.

I managed a hotel for many years and if you haven't noticed hotels are also cutting back on a lot of the perks. Most people don't really care about those things so don't notice that they're gone but they are. It's just part of the cost of doing business, prices go up for everything ......somebody has to pay

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Go ahead and point them out instead of deflecting.

Is that what I am doing? Huh. My question to the poster was that if it (cruising on Carnival) such a bad experience with it seems from all the things Carnival has taken away, then leave. Go somewhere else.

But I guess you want to discuss my challenges on the list. OK I will play.

First is playlist was a change entertainment style. Live music was not part of their plan, but is back in the main shows. Carnivals idea of entertainment is shop wide with more than a couple of different types each and every day. The poster did not the hasbro junk, maybe that is one view but it is not open space. When was filet mignon on the menu in the mdr? We have cruised since 96 and I cannot remember it. The mints on pillow top? Really? Nobody ate them. The table mat cheater color they handed out the last night was made fun flow for years here. Can something change without badgers here calling it a cutback? Apparently not. Have thee been some sure there has, at Carnival and all her competitors. So let’s you and discuss further and not “deflect”.

I managed a hotel for many years and if you haven't noticed hotels are also cutting back on a lot of the perks. Most people don't really care about those things so don't notice that they're gone but they are. It's just part of the cost of doing business, prices go up for everything ......somebody has to pay

I was just thinking about how expensive coffee has gotten in the past ten years. I mean good coffee. The cut stuff is still pretty cheap, and/or the bags are smaller. Same with everything else I can think of; higher prices versus smaller packages or cheaper product.

Personally, I don't much notice the cutbacks you refer to. Maybe it's because I find more and more hotels have waffle makings in their breakfast layouts -- lol -- they've got me with that perk. But I can't think of one important thing missing from my last several hotel stays.

Same with cruises: I don't much notice the absent swizzle-whatevers, or that maybe the comedians aren't as good as they used to be, etc, etc. I do notice when it costs 20% more for a good ATV excursion than it did 5-7 years ago, but that certainly does not spoil any other aspect of my cruise, and ATV excursions are not included in the cruise price.

Through ten years of cruising I have indeed seen some price creep, just like with everything else I buy, but I can't really pinpoint where the quality of most things I enjoy has suffered all that much.

Just my two cents.

I sailed on the Elation back in ‘99 with my family of four for $2300 to MR out of SoCal.Adjusted for inflation, that’s $3500 in today’s money.

It costs about $3500 for same room, same itenery this summer!

What’s changed?

The ship, for one. Splendor is larger with more activities and venues.

Professional entertainers replaced with Hasbro junk.

An extreme exaggeration. There are still professional entertainers and families like Hasbro.

Live bands replaced with recordings

Still live bands. Even some steel drums

Elaborated productions replaced with playlist

Allows for shows to be changed more often, unlike the old with enormous sets.

No more rum swizzle Party

aka Fun Ship Special

No more cocktail party

On Journey cruises there is. OTOH, there didn't used to be Cheers.

No more repeater party

For P/D there is.

No water color print

Most people used them for place mats or otherwise disposed of them.

Less quality food in mdr- filet mignon replaced with ???

Filet Mignon is still served with short rib.

No more assigned server for all three meals

Your Time Dining is the most popular option. It is what the customers want.

No more free galley tour

Have you tried asking the maire d' for one?

No more free stuff from kids club ( like helium balloons and t shirts)

Balloons are extremely hazardous to marine life.

No more free espresso in mdr

Coffee and machines were upgraded.

Butter imported from France replaced with butter flavored product

Butter packets are still available. Just ask.

Free fresh orange juice

Oranges available - squeeze your own.

Bringing aboard beverages ( including alcohol) was allowed.

Always against the rules. Enforcement used to be lacking.

Andes mints left on pillow.

So buy a box for $2. As if there isn't enough food on cruise ships.

Now, I know there will be someone who will pick on one or more of this and poo poo it by saying they don’t care about the mints or color print, etc. Thats missing the point. Fact is that these were all once included, now they are gone.

I will say that the captains cocktail party was second to the lifeboat drill as the most widely attended event and you’d be hard pressed to argue that its discontinuation was anything other than a cutback intended to increase profit.

The cocktail party was abused by alcoholics and alcoholics in training who didn't give a damn about meeting the Captain and were only interested in how many drinks they could slam. Blame your fellow passengers.

The cocktail party was abused by alcoholics and alcoholics in training who didn't give a damn about meeting the Captain and were only interested in how many drinks they could slam. Blame your fellow passengers.

You actually said it much better than me....

I find your post a bit harsh in the fact that you Group everyone who liked attending into a negative light. My husband and I enjoyed a few cocktails, meeting other cruisers, seeing and talking about how many cruises some have been on. That's what's wrong with this site. Everyone is so quick to place blame and judge others whom they no absolutely nothing about.

I find your post a bit harsh in the fact that you Group everyone who liked attending into a negative light. My husband and I enjoyed a few cocktails, meeting other cruisers, seeing and talking about how many cruises some have been on. That's what's wrong with this site. Everyone is so quick to place blame and judge others whom they no absolutely nothing about.

No, I didn't. I highlighted that abuse brought about the demise. It doesn't take many bad apples, but there were certainly more than a few, and I certainly got my share.

One thing that the Caribbean does not need is new players. The market is more than saturated. While I have seen the Fantasy for sale, I have never seen the entire class of ships. Can you point to that?

qpsships.com I dug around a bit and landed on a chart showing their whole inventory. there were eight 73000 ton ships all built in the 90’s, and one 101000 ton or whatever built in 1999, obviously the Triumph.

qpsships.com I dug around a bit and landed on a chart showing their whole inventory. there were eight 73000 ton ships all built in the 90’s, and one 101000 ton or whatever built in 1999, obviously the Triumph.

And are they all for sale?

Sorry, but your inside knowledge of the industry doesn't apply here. All we want to hear is agreeing with CUTBACKS!!!

There are so many things that people don't understand. From changing trends in popularity, to laws, to public image, to even the economy.

I've been around the net on travel/vacation discussion. BEEZALAR is completely right. Everyone is complaining about everything. Airlines are "nickle and diming and making my travel less pleasant". "Hotels don't care about my loyalty anymore. Reducing perks." "This resort went way up in price, quality went down." The economy is improving, and it isn't necessary to spend money on worthless things to beg customers to come. If these companies produce such a terrible product, they would go out of business. These companies are able to shoot complainers the biggest middle finger because they have no shortage of customers.

The internet is full of complaints. Find the leader in a category, and you'll likely find they have the most complaints. Take the "Carnival of the land," Walmart. There's no love loss of them online. A bunch of "well-informed" shoppers will tell you why they will never again go. Yet they are the largest retailer. Would Wal-Mart honestly be better off if they did lots of the things people say they want, which will increase costs? No. If Wal-Mart had to raise prices, people will stop shopping there.

And are they all for sale?

Yes it had them all listed for sale but it didn’t provide prices for all. They weren’t named of course but I could identify by the build year. I think Fantasy was 100 mil, most of the rest of the class were price upon request, Triumph was about $250 mil. I can’t get to the chart surfing from my phone but I was able to on the PC. This was about a month ago I stumbled onto it. But apparently Triumph is scheduled for Sunshining, unless they manage to unload her before that.