Reflections from the Reflection....a RS experience.

chemmo

And reflections on Reflection now that we are home....

2nd trip on Reflection in year, but 5 cruises total.

There seemed to be some tension among the MC bartenders, obvious there was at least one not doing fair share of work, just going thru motions. We too ended up going elsewhere since service was poor in MC, there was no face recognition by bar staff.....on many past trips, we have experienced excellence in MC. Still remember best bartender there ever, Barbara. We have been patient with newbies or the lone bartender, facing a crowd. We have had interesting conversations with concierges and bartenders who come from different parts of the world. But we tried new venues elsewhere last cruise. IMO, the attitude trickles down from the top......

Cruising always good, but always hard not to compare if cruise a few months earlier was superb and most memorable in same cabin category. I classify a cruise great if I can still remember names of crew members a few months later - because they were standouts. And our expectations after lots of cruising are high too.

Have a great trip. Hope it’s not over already, time onboard passes too quickly!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not sure re Bogdan’s history but he really is very good, We will try to find out.

Sue, I so wish I could say by the third drink we didn’t even notice but bar service is just below par....I can forgive being left to drink sprite out of a can and Courvoisier from a tumbler but waiting for a drink in a near empty bar whilst the server having taken your order ‘tidies up’ is just tooooooo much!

We went in Michael’s again last night for a drink before dining in Murano’s. It was quiet. Our order was taken quickly, the beer arrived and then the girl disappeared into the side room for a few minutes, She then reappeared and started messing with glasses at the bar. We were just about to get up and ask her if she had forgotten our order when she finally started pouring our drinks! Gap between beer and other drinks arriving towards 10 mins....Other guests in the meantime have come in, sat at the bar, have been served and were ordering a second......

For those who have followed our many posts we really are not complainers. I have frequently raved to new cruisers that, once they have experienced Michael’s, service elsewhere will seem sub par. We have raised our concerns....there really is a training issue here. As we have said in previous posts we will not let it spoil our cruise but, if I am perfectly honest, it has taken the edge off our pleasure....We will be enjoying our pre dinner drink elsewhere tonight!

On a much more positive note bar service generally throughout the ship has been excellent. We have not had any issues getting served even in the busy areas like Oceanview and poolside even at peak times.

Hope the weather in the U.K. isn’t too bad, Sue. Two more days for us to enjoy the sun on board before enjoying some more time in Florida. We are rather hoping Spring will arrive before we return!

It is wet!!!!!!!!

It is such a shame about MC. We have always found the difficulty is more stopping the drinks coming. So often, a group has been deep in conversation to find that we have all received fresh drinks and we are torn between wasting them or being late for dinner.

It is wet!!!!!!!!

It is such a shame about MC. We have always found the difficulty is more stopping the drinks coming. So often, a group has been deep in conversation to find that we have all received fresh drinks and we are torn between wasting them or being late for dinner.

Yes, we have previously always found glasses to be self filling!

Just a few ‘and finally’ comments....it is our last day on board.

Pre cruise shoreside concierge experience the best so far. Not only were all our requests sorted before we boarded Zoey’s advice, help and support when firstly our flight was cancelled and later luggage went missing really helped us keep our sanity.

The ship Is spotlessly clean and well maintained in all areas. Despite the additional passengers the ship has a good ‘flow’.

Our butler, Vishnu, and room attendant, Leroy, have been excellent. Our butler has magically anticipated our every need and our room attendant must hide around the corner as every time we leave the room it is cleaned!

We were concerned that public areas would be significantly more crowded on Reflection with having more rooms....Sea days the pools have been very busy but we found it much the same as Equinox at a similar time of year. Our strategy has simply been to dump our clothes on one chair (if we can find one) enjoy a swim then return to our balcony. We did resort to an Aqua Spa cafe chair one sea day when it was closed between breakfast and lunch service. We have evidenced ‘hogged’ chairs...such a pity guests can not be more considerate of each other! Again, however, no worse than on other ships....

Oceanview cafe continues to provide a much underrated source of lunchtime food. Whilst on the few occasions we visited it was busy we were always able to find a seat, the cleaning staff were running around as fast as they could and bar service was good.

The Speciality Restaurants have quite simply exceeded our expectations this cruise and our expectations were high based on previous cruises....

Murano’s continues to provide faultless service and food. We will enjoy our last meal on board there tonight. We never tire of the ‘attention to detail’ that goes into making it such a pleasant place to dine.

Tuscan Grill has been great for ‘sail away’ evenings. We have always booked as they open to ensure we can make the most of that great view! Food continues to be very good (steaks in particular) although we must confess we don’t find the pasta side of the menu as good as the old menu...we miss our mushroom ravioli! Service prompt and attentive.

Le petit chef at Q’sine was great fun and good food. We are not gimmicky people but it was so nice to giggle like a child through five courses! A great contrast to other venues.

Lawn Club Grill....a really nice venue with great ambiance and plenty of menu choices. Our big mistake first visit was to order far too much food! After one visit they knew our water, wine and seating preferences and we were well looked after and greeted as old friends on return visits.

The Porch....we have really enjoyed lunchtime service here. We have again been treated as ‘old friends’ on return visits....Whilst the lunchtime menu is small it has adequate choices. Personally, I could enjoy the seafood tower every day!

Luminae....As regular suite guests we had decided to focus on the speciality restaurants this cruise, especially those new to us. However, on our breakfast visits we have been made very welcome and service has been excellent. The M’D was kind enough early in the cruise to find time to check that our speciality bookings were a preference and not an issue with Luminae.....very thoughtful.

Drinks package/bar/wine service....No issues at all! We are not big drinkers but we have enjoyed our package! Pool bar staff, Oceanview bar staff and Sunset bar staff deserve particular praise for working so hard in such busy areas and continuing to serve with a smile! In the restaurants we have mentioned wines we have previously enjoyed or staff have made recommendations and all have been fine. We were willing to go over package if we had to and found it very reassuring that it has not been necessary.

Itinerary.....This cruise, if we are honest, was more about sun and the ship than the ports all of which we have previously visited. We did book two ships tours both of which were very good. We do have some mobility issues and did speak to the desk about walking lengths etc...They were very knowledgeable and offered exact advice. Until you have health/mobility issues you don’t realise how important this is! Overnighting in St. Maarten was not as magical as we had hoped as we were overlooking the container port with bright lights and screeching equipment....Hopefully on future visits the ship will be able to use one of the alternative docking areas....

Staff....we have found this a very welcoming ship! We have enjoyed our interactions with all staff from the amusing Captain to the staff constantly cleaning the stair handrails who look up as you pass with cheery smiles and ‘good morning’! Particular thanks to Bogdan who took a personal interest in ensuring we enjoyed our cruise!

Thanks to all who have followed our adventures from our first post ‘How often do they close Philadelphia Airport?’ to our exploits on board!

Happy sailing to all!

Happy sailing to all!

Chemmo,

Thanks for your informative and entertaining comments on your cruise. :)

Pre cruise shoreside concierge experience the best so far. Not only were all our requests sorted before we boarded Zoey’s advice, help and support when firstly our flight was cancelled and later luggage went missing really helped us keep our sanity.

The ship Is spotlessly clean and well maintained in all areas. Despite the additional passengers the ship has a good ‘flow’.

Our butler, Vishnu, and room attendant, Leroy, have been excellent. Our butler has magically anticipated our every need and our room attendant must hide around the corner as every time we leave the room it is cleaned!

Thanks to all who have followed our adventures from our first post ‘How often do they close Philadelphia Airport?’ to our exploits on board!

Happy sailing to all!

We had Vishnu on our last cruise, too. He has become one of our favorite Butlers! I agree about his intuitive anticipation of your needs which we truly appreciated. He will be transferring to the Edge and we are looking forward to seeing him again in December.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Reflection. She is our favorite ship in X's fleet.

Could you make a comment on the music onboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, Helen but we haven’t been to watch one show and any music we have heard has been in passing....hopefully someone who has paid more attention than us will comment.

Our favourite late night entertainment has been star gazing on the balcony with Courvoisier in hand!

Chemmo,

Thanks for your informative and entertaining comments on your cruise. :)

I have enjoyed posting!

It is the only way one can ‘pay back’ for all the great advice received over the years.

chemmo

Hoping the three of you have a great post-cruise stay in Florida and an incident-free journey home.

We will, Sue!

Just an ‘and finally’ for you, Richard and those who followed our adventures from the start....

Evening chic was very laid back this cruise (not a criticism just a statement that guests really were not dressing up as blingy as we had experienced on our two European cruises last year). As a consequence I never wore my new ‘posh frock’ bought in Fort Lauderdale when most of our luggage was missing!

Ah well a good excuse to book another cruise!

Thanks again for your review. I hope the rest of your holiday is very smooth and restful:)

I am glad the rest of our vacation is self catering....this selfless devotion to dining in speciality restaurants each night so I can post valid reviews has left us ‘steaked out’!

It will be a shock to the system with no butler and room attendant catering to our every need!

Thank you so much for your review Chemmo. Most informative. We have booked our first Royal Suite on the Solstice in September 2019 - Hawaii to Sydney which I recall you have done? Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and wishing an uneventful trip back to Blighty!

Thanks for a very nice thread.,,Seems the bad start did not mar your vacation. Hope you can enjoy your party frock soon, perhaps on a more dressy cruise! Wishing you many happy future cruises!

We do not cruise in suites.....AQ for us, but you raised a very good point about training, There has been a noticeable slip or uneveness in certain areas of service...BLU, mdr, buffet, bars, poolside etc, which could be remedied with stronger training and supervision. Seems there is too much "on the job training " for which there is not enough time and not always standardized. Many staff members seem willing , enthused and able to learn but not always given enough guidance

Thank you so much for your review Chemmo. Most informative. We have booked our first Royal Suite on the Solstice in September 2019 - Hawaii to Sydney which I recall you have done? Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and wishing an uneventful trip back to Blighty!

Greetings from Kissimmee! Arrived about an hour ago....We left the ship and then drove to Titusville to watch a rocket launch (one has to fit as many experiences as possible into a holiday!).

Yes, we have done the Solstice Hawaii to Sydney which remains our favourite cruise to date! We spent a week pre cruise in Hawaii and several days post cruise in Sydney....feel free to ask any questions. We were also in a RS for that cruise....

Greetings from Kissimmee! Arrived about an hour ago....We left the ship and then drove to Titusville to watch a rocket launch (one has to fit as many experiences as possible into a holiday!).

Yes, we have done the Solstice Hawaii to Sydney which remains our favourite cruise to date! We spent a week pre cruise in Hawaii and several days post cruise in Sydney....feel free to ask any questions. We were also in a RS for that cruise....

We are booked in an RS for the same cruise in October 2018. Glad to hear that it remains your favorite. We are going to try the Disney Resort in Oahu before the cruise.

Welcome back and thank you for posting. Make sure you try the Silhouette soon. As I mentioned earlier, we liked it even better than the Reflection. Hard to beat the outstanding lunch setting at the Porch.

We are booked in an RS for the same cruise in October 2018. Glad to hear that it remains your favorite. We are going to try the Disney Resort in Oahu before the cruise.

Welcome back and thank you for posting. Make sure you try the Silhouette soon. As I mentioned earlier, we liked it even better than the Reflection. Hard to beat the outstanding lunch setting at the Porch.

We spent hours researching a pre cruise one week Oahu stay....in the end (after many hours on trip advisor) we went for a little hotel called Park Shore next to the zoo. Whilst the hotel did not technically have lots of facilities we had great views, a two room suite and the toot of elephants every morning! Loads of local restaurants and a great ambiance.

The cruise itself is just so varied...Bora, Bora, Tahiti, Bay of Islands...even Hobbiton before arriving in Sydney!

We are booked on the Silhouette April 2020....really looking forward to it!