Exactly what was Holland America Thinking

Billthekid

billthekidd@shutterfly.comJust off the Rotterdam and noted this sign on the Lido Deck Hot Tub steps. Now since the majority of Holland's customers are more mature than passengers on most ships, what do they define as "Elderly"? ;) billthekid@shutterfly.com

https://billthekid.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

Just got off the NA. We were sitting by the hot tub and were quite concerned about some of the elderly individuals using the tub. Some had a difficult time just walking up to the tub. It was scary watching them try to get into and out of the tub.

Sorry, but I just cannot use the hot tubs on cruise ships. It's basically bacteria soup! Have you noticed the people with their beers who stay in the tub for a very long time? You just know what's in that water! And, all those kids? Well, you can just imagine! Yuck!!!

billthekidd@shutterfly.comJust off the Rotterdam and noted this sign on the Lido Deck Hot Tub steps. Now since the majority of Holland's customers are more mature than passengers on most ships, what do they define as "Elderly"? ;) billthekid@shutterfly.com

https://billthekid.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

I have never noticed a sign by the hot tubs stating those precautions, but it is true you should be aware, the older or mature are possibly on medication for high blood pressure and should be careful and made aware. I don't see a issue or problem with the sign being posted. I agree that the reminder should be posted, we all get a little carefree when we travel, especially on a ship. It is better to play it safe, you are aware of the prescriptions ingested and should just simply be aware.

This is actually part of the required signage for hot tubs, whirlpools, and spa pools required by the USPH. This is also what happens when the sign maker has English as a second language: "your" for "you're".

Sadly, FAR too many people these days for whom English is their first language write "your" when they mean "you're." Makes me crazy.

OP: in case you did not know this, a tip when using Shutterfly: no need to send folks here via a link to another site to view a photo. Simply open your photo on Shutterfly, click "copy image," and then come here to CC and "paste" the image right into your comment box.

enhance

Sorry, but I just cannot use the hot tubs on cruise ships. It's basically bacteria soup! Have you noticed the people with their beers who stay in the tub for a very long time? You just know what's in that water! And, all those kids? Well, you can just imagine! Yuck!!!

Agreed - you might also have concerns about using anything maintained by people who may have trouble understanding the manuals which might be written in English - obviously a second language for them.

Finally - there is little precision of thought--- forty years ago "elderly" meant older than 40. Now, of course, "elderly" means over 80. These people obviously have trouble with numbers

I have never noticed a sign by the hot tubs stating those precautions, but it is true you should be aware, the older or mature are possibly on medication for high blood pressure and should be careful and made aware. I don't see a issue or problem with the sign being posted. I agree that the reminder should be posted, we all get a little carefree when we travel, especially on a ship. It is better to play it safe, you are aware of the prescriptions ingested and should just simply be aware.

Even without meds, the elderly (I'm not going to put a number here!) and children do not regulate temperature well. That's why care should be taken when using an electric blanket or heating pad. And it's why there's a warning on hot tubs. A hot tub is NOT a kiddie pool and small children should not be in there, for their own health as well as that of others.

Agreed - you might also have concerns about using anything maintained by people who may have trouble understanding the manuals which might be written in English - obviously a second language for them.

Finally - there is little precision of thought--- forty years ago "elderly" meant older than 40. Now, of course, "elderly" means over 80. These people obviously have trouble with numbers

I remember Jack Benny never wanted to older than 39. It was a long running joke, countered with the slogan "Life begins at 40". Don't trust anyone over 30 was the great 1960's rallying cry. Ah, kids. Whatcha gonna do.

Next thing we will see signs at the Lido caution overeating causes obesity. Or at afternoon tea caution tea bag could be a choking hazard. Even signs along the deck railing caution leaning over to far may cause you to go overboard. The possibilities are endless not only on the ships but everywhere any more. Point just look at some warnings on directions anymore. Most of this has been brought on by people to quick to sue, and lawyers looking for a fast buck.

:) wHAT GENIUS WROTE AND WHICH SCHOLAR HUNG THAT SIGN?

tHE TITLE OF THE thread IS FUNNY, TOO............. wHat were they thinking ??

tHat assumes anyone was using even limited grey matter I suggest that might be in question

Next thing we will see signs at the Lido caution overeating causes obesity. Or at afternoon tea caution tea bag could be a choking hazard. Even signs along the deck railing caution leaning over to far may cause you to go overboard. The possibilities are endless not only on the ships but everywhere any more. Point just look at some warnings on directions anymore. Most of this has been brought on by people to quick to sue, and lawyers looking for a fast buck.

On our last two sailings on Vistas we noticed signs on the Promenade Deck cautioning not to SIT on railing.

I have sat in the hot tubs drinking beer for years and never fouled the water. :halo:

This is actually part of the required signage for hot tubs, whirlpools, and spa pools required by the USPH. This is also what happens when the sign maker has English as a second language: "your" for "you're".

But the language of the ship is English. It should never have been posted in the first place and should have been immediately replaced. Not to do so is to literally connect sloppiness and lack of care about details onto the ship, itself.

The person responsible for grammar checking on HAL must have been asleep when that sign was printed. ;p

Many signs are made onboard, as are the printing of daily programs, menus, invitations, etc. Since English is probably a second language for most of the crew, I think they do quite well.