Chair Hogs and a "10" For the Crew - Did I Hit A Nerve?

SargassoPirate

Four days before the end of the cruise and the crew is already soliciting a score of 10 on our post-cruise survey. Guest services has even placed a call to our room asking how we are enjoying the cruise.

I'm telling everyone that until Celebrity starts enforcing no reserving of loungers, buffet tables, theater seats, and promenade deck lounger, nobody gets a 10. I also add that until they can figure out how to organize a line instead of allowing mobs to push and shove their way onto shuttle buses, nobody gets a 10. I sometime add that each time somebody solicits a 10, I deduct one point. The look on their faces is priceless.

If 10s are so important, they can earn them.

(Our MDR waiter is getting a 10 and a little extra)

Four days before the end of the cruise and the crew is already soliciting a score of 10 on our post-cruise survey. Guest services has even placed a call to our room asking how we are enjoying the cruise.

I'm telling everyone that until Celebrity starts enforcing no reserving of loungers, buffet tables, theater seats, and promenade deck lounger, nobody gets a 10. I also add that until they can figure out how to organize a line instead of allowing mobs to push and shove their way onto shuttle buses, nobody gets a 10. I sometime add that each time somebody solicits a 10, I deduct one point. The look on their faces is priceless.

If 10s are so important, they can earn them.

(Our MDR waiter is getting a 10 and a little extra)

I get what you are saying and agree that those things are all undesirable. But let's get real: None of those issues can be totally resolved unless ANY mass market cruise line reduces the number of passengers by about one half. Your expectations are simply unrealistic.

Want to avoid those issues? It's easy. Book on Viking, Seabourne, Crystal, etc. Maybe consider the upper class, exclusive sections that other cruiselines offer - The Yacht Club on MSC, The Haven on NCL. (I assume the Edge will have this kind of area - I haven't bothered looking at the plans.)

I WILL agree that the chair hog problem is definitely a problem on ALL mass market cruiselines, and they ALL could do something about it. Something similar to the system used by meter maids. I'm pretty sure the passengers would react about the same as they do to getting a parking ticket.

I get what you are saying and agree that those things are all undesirable. But let's get real: None of those issues can be totally resolved unless ANY mass market cruise line reduces the number of passengers by about one half. Your expectations are simply unrealistic.

Want to avoid those issues? It's easy. Book on Viking, Seabourne, Crystal, etc. Maybe consider the upper class, exclusive sections that other cruiselines offer - The Yacht Club on MSC, The Haven on NCL. (I assume the Edge will have this kind of area - I haven't bothered looking at the plans.)

I WILL agree that the chair hog problem is definitely a problem on ALL mass market cruiselines, and they ALL could do something about it. Something similar to the system used by meter maids. I'm pretty sure the passengers would react about the same as they do to getting a parking ticket.

I disagree. With clearly stated rules AND visible enforcement, we would see a difference. Sure, some people would try to chair hog, but if their stuff disappears after 30 minutes - they'd figure it out.

It should not be up to the PAX to enforce the rules - we should expect the crew to do it. Otherwise, it's mob rule.

Never ever going to happen. I stopped letting this stuff bother me years ago, we work too hard for our vacation time. I have been cruising for over 40 years it's not going to change. Forget all of this and enjoy your cruise. If that stuff stresses you out you need more vacation days.

Never ever going to happen. I stopped letting this stuff bother me years ago, we work too hard for our vacation time. I have been cruising for over 40 years it's not going to change. Forget all of this and enjoy your cruise. If that stuff stresses you out you need more vacation days.

That’s exactly the way I feel about it. We live in a “look out for number one” culture these days and unless that mindset changes everything else the cruise companies, or hotels, or theatres, or restaurants do is pointless. I now just accept it is what it is and if people are that sad they chose to get up at 6am in a morning just to reserve a chair bigger fools them. You go on holiday to de stress and I refuse to let the actions of others impact on our precious time together.

The chair hog issue is easy to fix. An attendant stationed full time to the pool areas, circulating and removing items left longer than 30 minutes would solve that issue entirely. Celebrity doesn’t want to pay additional crew for this but it is short sighted as this issue effects how cruisers feel about their vacations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The chair hog issue is easy to fix. An attendant stationed full time to the pool areas, circulating and removing items left longer than 30 minutes would solve that issue entirely. Celebrity doesn’t want to pay additional crew for this but it is short sighted as this issue effects how cruisers feel about their vacations.

It doesn't have anything to do with "Celebrity doesn't want to pay additional crew" for an attendant in the pool areas. It has everything to with not have conflicts with those passengers who have 'reserved' pool chairs. Can you imagine the screaming fights that would go on?

I'd suggest that another type of vacation than cruising would be more satisfactory. And there's nothing wrong with that!

I disagree. With clearly stated rules AND visible enforcement, we would see a difference. Sure, some people would try to chair hog, but if their stuff disappears after 30 minutes - they'd figure it out.

It should not be up to the PAX to enforce the rules - we should expect the crew to do it. Otherwise, it's mob rule.

Looks like you solved your own issues: ENJOY!

Thanks for your review. You summed up why we are moving our cruise dollars to Viking next year. No feral children on-board, and the lower music and entertainment volumes both are a big plus. We are tired of using earplugs in production shows or in any music venue.

Wow, to get that upset that you come here and post about it, must really bother you. I'm sorry you are so upset.

And I agree about chair hogs but nothing else. Even chair hogs don't really bother me but they could easily correct the issues. But you know, you see the same at all inclusive resorts and even resort hotels.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Maybe there is the perfect cruise or vacation out there that fulfills all your needs.

Which ship is this? I wonder if all the crews are beginning to solicit 10s so early.

Infinity...and we have never experienced solicitations for a 10 so early. Something behind the scenes must be going on.

Out cabin attendant and our MDR waiter are getting 10s and a little extra cash. Same with specialty dining venue staff - 10 plus if we could.

Other operations are a different story....

On port day in Manta, we witnessed zero control for boarding shuttle buses to town, with the result of a mob of at least 200 people waiting for the first bus. Saw a fight breakout at the door of the bus and one guy trying to pull another off the steps of the bus. If Celebrity had organized a line, trouble could have been avoided. Think they deserve a 10?

On that same port day, loungers and sunbeds were reserved with towels, big clips, and assorted flip flops and books. Never used until people started filtering back to the ship after excursions. Think the pool staff deserve a 10?

If the score of a 10 is their currency...they need to earn it.

How is it your stateroom attendant's fault that chairs are being reserved? Why should he or she not get a ten rating?

How is it the dining room waiter's fault?

This isn't making sense to me.

The OP stated that his waiter was getting a 10 in his original post.

Infinity...and we have never experienced solicitations for a 10 so early. Something behind the scenes must be going on.

Out cabin attendant and our MDR waiter are getting 10s and a little extra cash. Same with specialty dining venue staff - 10 plus if we could.

Other operations are a different story....

On port day in Manta, we witnessed zero control for boarding shuttle buses to town, with the result of a mob of at least 200 people waiting for the first bus. Saw a fight breakout at the door of the bus and one guy trying to pull another off the steps of the bus. If Celebrity had organized a line, trouble could have been avoided. Think they deserve a 10?

On that same port day, loungers and sunbeds were reserved with towels, big clips, and assorted flip flops and books. Never used until people started filtering back to the ship after excursions. Think the pool staff deserve a 10?

If the score of a 10 is their currency...they need to earn it.

I’ve never had them start so early either, but rather one or two days prior to the end. I wouldn’t appreciate it, in part because I wouldn’t want to be reminded that my holiday was about to end;).

We’ve happily handed out 10s to similar staff on our recent cruises, but only because they were well deserved. I think it’s ridiculous that we’re solicited for 10s, but I simply smile and give whatever score I’d already intended to give.

I would not be at all happy with the the shuttle bus issue you described. In my experience, Celebrity staff, or bus company staff, have organized a line or passengers have themselves formed an orderly queue. Your experience sounds quite unpleasant.

Pool chair hogs haven’t much impact on us because we only want to sit in the sun for short periods (less than 30 minutes at a time). We’re more often seeking loungers in the shade or the solarium. I do feel empathy, however, for people escaping cold climates for a holiday in the sun. It’s a shame if they shouldn’t ever be able to find loungers because chair hogs have “saved” them.

Seriously if these issues bother you..... !!! It's time you went on a holiday ( that's a vacation for my American friends ).

On a serious note if someone gets up at daft o'clock just to reserve a chair then good luck to them it really does not bother us and you know something I have never been on a cruise yet where I have not found somewhere to sit or lie when I wanted to both in the sun and out of it.... some people need to get a life.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

Never used to be a problem.... demographics have changed and enforcement now lax

I'm telling everyone that until Celebrity starts enforcing no reserving of loungers, buffet tables, theater seats, and promenade deck lounger, nobody gets a 10.

We asked the Maitre'd why the dress code was not being enforced (ripped jeans on chic night, baseball caps and shorts on other nights.. and we got a shrug.. Letting people know what affects YOUR perception of a perfect 10 score is a sobering comment of Celebrity's lack of enforcement of their policy. I don't care about the comment of others not to let this bother you because they are probably the main offenders as chair hogs, dining room slackers and "X the rules" cruisers who believe that rules do not apply to them. Until Celebrity realizes that their laxity in enforcing their code of behavior is affecting the enjoyment of those that believe and follow the rules, there score will be affected. There is a serious competition between ships in getting the highest score in the fleet and they should be aware of the criteria that influence some of our votes.

Which ship is this? I wonder if all the crews are beginning to solicit 10s so early.

The requesting 10's is one of the main reasons DH and I stopped sailing NCL. We couldn't stand the continual asking, "Am I giving you excellent service? Am I a 10?" I find this so annoying!

I absolutely agree with you! This problem can be easily addressed. Someone mentioned on a different thread that one cruiseline has pool attendances neatly folder towels that are left on unattended loungers as they circulate around the pool. If the folded towel is still there on the next go round, the towel is removed. This procedure would provide a visual message to everyone else at the pool who might be thinking of doing the same the next day. A message regarding unattended belongings should also be posted in the daily. If someone complains about removed items the pool attendance can point to the daily. Passengers who witness hogging and are annoyed by this practice being ignored should fill out daily comment cards and regularly drop these into the comment boxes. Ignoring bad behavior doesn't help it to go away.

The OP stated that his waiter was getting a 10 in his original post.

We give 10s when they are earned and lower scores when those are earned as well.

We give extra tips to servers who deserve them for an extra level of service or attention.

On our most recent cruise, we wrote two letters to the Captain regarding exemplary service from two of the crew.

But we are not giving 10s to departments that do little to nothing to earn them.

We give 10s when they are earned and lower scores when those are earned as well.

We give extra tips to servers who deserve them for an extra level of service or attention.

On our most recent cruise, we wrote two letters to the Captain regarding exemplary service from two of the crew.

But we are not giving 10s to departments that do little to nothing to earn them.

We do exactly the same things you do. We earn our raises, promotions and praise, and we expect others to do the same. We won’t hand out 10s, praise or additional tips (beyond the auto gratuities) for anything less than exemplary performance.