Those who like to have some drinks on the cruise...

racheltineo

:DI mix drinks all the time never a problem, my secret is practic, practice practice , drink everyday like you are on vacation

Agree :). Been practicing for over fifty years and still learning. But if one has to ask the question of the OP...then perhaps they should consider drinking less....or not drinking at all.

Hank

What are your tips for not feeling yucky the next day? I want to enjoy some drinks but I’m afraid of getting a hangover if I’m having too much fun.. lol 🤷🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just do on a cruise what you do at home - alcohol will react with your system pretty much the same whether at sea or at home.

If you feel "yucky" at home, don't do on the cruise what you do at home because you will feel the same way on a cruise.

I'm going to get a little sciencey here;p So your liver cannot store alcohol. It metabolises about 90 per cent of the alcohol you drink, (the rest is excreted through your urine and sweat). Your liver can process about 10g or a small drink an hour, any remaining alcohol circulates in your blood until it can be broken down this is how ‘blood alcohol concentration’ is assessed for drink drive limits. Eating before drinking can help absorb this excess alcohol.

So by that logic if you have a small drink (so think the equivalent of one shot) once every hour you are unlikely to get drunk, therefore less likely to get a hangover but will still get the buzz. So pacing yourself is probably the best advice:halo:

Don't mix your drinks...pick one kind of booze, and stick with it. Don't "over drink".....and drink plenty of water, too...dehydration is what makes you feel like crap! Stay hydrated....booze totally zaps your fluids!

I rarely if ever get a "hangover"....I dance with the one who brung me!!!!

Lots of water before you go to bed. Stay away from sugary, creamy drinks that come with umbrellas. Do not drink tequila ever. If you misjudge and are feeling wobbly the next day Advil Liquid Gel Caps and a Bloody Mary will straighten you right out.

I have no problems mixing drinks throughout the day - which is good since I like to try different drinks. I'm good with rum, tequila, vodka, whisky (or whiskey), wine, or cider. I don't care for beer, but I've hear 'beer then liquor - never been sicker, liquor then beer - you're in the clear).

Almost all of my drinks are sugary (but rarely creamy) drinks. I do think the sugar contributes to how quickly I feel alcohol effects so I try to pace myself.

The key for me is pacing myself (so no or very few shots) and water in between drinks. If you have a beverage package you can get a bottle of water, since we pay as we go we take a water tumbler with us and the bartenders have always been courteous about topping it off.

ETA: Generally, a 6ft 200# male will oxidize alcohol more efficiently than a 5ft 120# female - so the 1 drink per hour is a general guideline.

Edited by pacruise804
additional comment

Water, water, water, water. Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning it dehydrates you. When you drink, your body will get rid of the water, while the toxins remain. When you wake up, you will hate yourself if not hydrated.

I usually do a bad job at it. For me, after a heavy night of drinking, 3 glasses of water will have me feeling fine the next day.

I cope the next day by having a 5-hour energy bottle (or equivalent) before drinking which is mostly vitamin B. Then at the end of the night, I always make sure to have a bite of food and glass of water.

If there arent any food options available when you plan on ending your night, grab some cookies or biscuits from the buffet and keep in your room. Your inebriated self will be happy that sober you left you water and a snack.

There really is some very good advice here. I drink a lot of water all year. Probably close to 3 or 4 litres a day. Now I can't do that on the ship, because I drink a lot of alcohol on vacation. But I try. I 'might' have a drink at dinner, but even so, I slam a lot of ice cold water. It makes a huge difference. Also limit the heat and sun.

Drink good quality drinks....the craft beer and the proper spirits (agave Tequila anyone?) and if you fancy some wine. Avoid chemical trash beers and super sugary rubbish.

Then drink a pint of water before bed and a light snack with protein/carbs (sandwich or pizza slice etc).

When you wake have Berroca (or any multivitamin drink) and more water and a nice hearty breakfast with fruit juice.

Job done.

Just a general tip to help not feel yucky on the cruise - keep your stomach full. It sounds weird and counter intuitive but it actually makes you (at least me, and heard this from others) less likely to feel sea sick. Plus all this food will help absorb the alcohol so it’s a win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel yucky after drinking white wine unless I take an antihistamine. I get an allergic reaction to the histamines in the wine and it gives me a headache that only codiene can knock out. Since I love white wine, I take a antihistamine tablet before drinking wine.

This is hilarious - not that you have to take histamines. I have the exact same reaction but to reds. I get a raging headache from any red wine. So I avoid it like the plague. Good to know about the codeine but unfortunately I am allergic to it:(

I go with vitamin B, non-sugary food item & water before bed. Also try for at least 7-8 hours sleep if you can. Yeah I know - cruise LOL! I also avoid sugary rum drinks after dinner, stick to gin or vodka with a non-sweet mixer. My go to is Diet Tonic water & lime with either or a non-sugary sparkling water flavored.

I'm going to get a little sciencey here;p So your liver cannot store alcohol. It metabolises about 90 per cent of the alcohol you drink, (the rest is excreted through your urine and sweat). Your liver can process about 10g or a small drink an hour, any remaining alcohol circulates in your blood until it can be broken down this is how ‘blood alcohol concentration’ is assessed for drink drive limits. Eating before drinking can help absorb this excess alcohol.

So by that logic if you have a small drink (so think the equivalent of one shot) once every hour you are unlikely to get drunk, therefore less likely to get a hangover but will still get the buzz. So pacing yourself is probably the best advice:halo:

No, food does not absorb alcohol. Eating may slow the absorption of the alcohol in the digestive system. And it will buffer the affect of the alcohol on the stomach lining.

Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to lose water. So a good bit of the hangover is due to dehydration. Thus all the advice about drinking water. But do realize, your body can absorb about 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes. So chugging a lot of water at a time does not help.

The liver, when breaking down alcohol, uses up B vitamins. So part of the hangover is a lack of B vitamin in your system.

No, food does not absorb alcohol. Eating may slow the absorption of the alcohol in the digestive system. And it will buffer the affect of the alcohol on the stomach lining.

Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to lose water. So a good bit of the hangover is due to dehydration. Thus all the advice about drinking water. But do realize, your body can absorb about 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes. So chugging a lot of water at a time does not help.

The liver, when breaking down alcohol, uses up B vitamins. So part of the hangover is a lack of B vitamin in your system.

That is true, I probably should have wrote it as helps with absorption(y) or slows absorption:p