$900 deposit?!

So it’s been a year since I last booked so maybe this is old news, but just pricing out some of the newly released 2020 10- and 11-day southern Carib cruises. Deposit for 2 in a balcony is $900! This is for both refundable and nonrefundable fares. That’s far more than any deposit I’ve ever placed — even on a suite! Is this an error or a new thing with RCI?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So it’s been a year since I last booked so maybe this is old news, but just pricing out some of the newly released 2020 10- and 11-day southern Carib cruises. Deposit for 2 in a balcony is $900! This is for both refundable and nonrefundable fares. That’s far more than any deposit I’ve ever placed — even on a suite! Is this an error or a new thing with RCI?

Normal $450pp deposit for a longer cruise.

Yes I looked at an 11 day sailing today. The deposit is $450 per person. My TA quoted me this. The deposit amount is not an error.

If the deposit amount is an issue, you could book for one person and add the other person later. There are some risks in doing that.

Yes I looked at an 11 day sailing today. The deposit is $450 per person. My TA quoted me this. The deposit amount is not an error.

If the deposit amount is an issue, you could book for one person and add the other person later. There are some risks in doing that.

Can you please elaborate on what the risks are in doing this. I booked an 11 day on the Anthem today and I just put one name on the reservation because of the deposit being so high.

Planning on adding my husband later, and the Royal Rep I spoke with said it won't change the price of the booking when I ad the second name. But I am a bit worried there will be an issue with it.

Can you please elaborate on what the risks are in doing this. I booked an 11 day on the Anthem today and I just put one name on the reservation because of the deposit being so high.

Planning on adding my husband later, and the Royal Rep I spoke with said it won't change the price of the booking when I ad the second name. But I am a bit worried there will be an issue with it.

The muster station could fill up and they would not be able to add another guest.

I believe it has something to do with the muster station limits. The station can be at capacity even though your 2 person room only has 1 person. I had a friend that wanted to add her son last year and was unable to due to this reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We booked last week and were told any changes to the people after we paid the deposit would change the price of the package. This would happen if we either added or removed people.
That's true if you are adding a third, forth or fifth person or removing a third, fourth or fifth person.

They are already paying double, booking it as a single. The rate is protected and her husband would just pay the current govt fees and taxes.

Normal $450pp deposit for a longer cruise.

And has been for YEARS. (at least 8, probably longer)

Just looked at old Confirmations saved on here and I've paid $450 pp last 5 yrs on 10,11,12,13 nite cruises. It's nothing new...

That's true if you are adding a third, forth or fifth person or removing a third, fourth or fifth person.

They are already paying double, booking it as a single. The rate is protected and her husband would just pay the current govt fees and taxes.

You need to watch, I have booked many cruises in double occupancy cabins and didn't pay 200%. Most of my solos cruises were booked at 175% or lower. If you try to add someone later, the cruise is repriced. Make sure you are paying 200% if you are only booking one and planning on 2 in the cabin.

We've been paying $450/pp deposit for the longer itineraries for many years--so this is nothing new. I booked one of the 10-night Serenade itineraries for 2020 yesterday, and I like the idea that my balance will be that much smaller, so it's all good!

OP, I also never knew about the muster station limits before reading this thread. Very good information. If you plan to book one of these 10- or 11-night itineraries, don't wait too long. They tend to sell out.

Yep. We’ve been paying the $450 pp as well. My .02 is I don’t mind this at all. As others have said it helps defray the amount at final payment. In fact depending on the cruise I’ll make a few other payments along the way. If I have to cancel or change I just move that deposit/payment to a new booking.

The muster station could fill up and they would not be able to add another guest.

Hi Bob,

Now there was me thinking that you were joking - but when I read on...its true :eek:

I am quite confused though, I assumed the cabin location decided where your muster station was, and that never changed - is that not the case?

Just interested....

thank you

Jean

Hi Bob,

Now there was me thinking that you were joking - but when I read on...its true :eek:

I am quite confused though, I assumed the cabin location decided where your muster station was, and that never changed - is that not the case?

Just interested....

thank you

Jean

Some staterooms in the muster station can hold more than two guests. So if they get enough staterooms filled with 3 or 4 guests, it can fill up the muster station so that gusts cannot be added to other staterooms in that station.

Deposits for Grand Suites and above are double what you pay for a JS or below cabin category. So, you would be paying $900pp if you booked a GS for your 11 day cruise.

The deposits on Suites have see sawed back and forth for many years. First it was double, then it was not. Now it is back to a double deposit.